Author Topic: Mince pie run  (Read 11239 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Mince pie run
« on: January 04, 2015, 05:15:16 PM »
Brrrrrrrrr!!! Just returned from doing the moped run from the Orwell yacht club, Ipswich. Very cold indeed! It was not so much a moped run as an ice skating exercise, the main roads were fine but all the puddles in the little country lanes were just iced over and there were many slow speed tumbles. I think I was the first to "get my knee down" literally. No sooner than we left the club house I Just touched the front brake and was chewing tarmac. At least another half dozen followed suit, I could see then flipping in my rear view mirror. Thankfully it was all at a snails pace and no one was hurt. I just have a trouser burn on my knee.
Richard otherwise known as Invacar 70 of this forum was there and he managed to stay upright [despite the drink!] but wasnt filming this time so no embarrassing videos on youtube.
Nigel my pal who I travelled up there with was using his Chinese Monkey bike which broke down twice and had to take the ride of shame on the back of the sweeper Landrover. He had to suffer further humiliation from others making helpful suggestions such as " have you tried a new chop stick?" ;D
Despite the spills great fun was had by all.

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
Re: Mince pie run
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 06:23:50 PM »
Reminds of why my Dad traded his BSA Bantam for a KR200- got fed up coming off it on the ice. Three wheels good, two wheels bad!
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 11:40:46 AM »
Agreed in conditions like yesturday but generally disagree totally.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 11:45:44 AM »
Wish I could have joined you Bob but no mopeds with MOT right now.
Three are ready.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 11:48:35 AM »
Find out next weekend with Schmitt to New Year's meet. Mmm, cold weather. Schmitty has nice heater, with my optional extra heater tubing, toastie. Stuff two wheels in 3 layers plus 'leathers'. Rain, Pah! Probably go wrong, now, won't it?

Is a Scootacar really just a very large crash helmet? 
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 12:36:41 PM »
Lol!!!    I guess it is really! ;D

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 12:59:12 PM »
Omg !! Lol !! Fgs rofl Bob ! How young were these scooterists ? And moped riders 16 ? Have you been mixing it with the kids ? Come come now a crash helmets meant to be a good tight fit , who on earth do we know that could be that tight a fit in a Scootacar ......... ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 01:01:30 PM »
Wish I could have joined you Bob but no mopeds with MOT right now.
Three are ready.

Damned modern Mopeds - no, no damned Government cut off date! Grumble, mutter, whinge...... Many of us caught out on that one.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 02:09:09 PM »
Omg !! Lol !! Fgs rofl Bob ! How young were these scooterists ? And moped riders 16 ? Have you been mixing it with the kids ? Come come now a crash helmets meant to be a good tight fit , who on earth do we know that could be that tight a fit in a Scootacar ......... ;)

Most of them are old boys!  I'm quite often the youngest one on these rides. Serious mopedist of East Anglia are tough men! We fall off just for practice! Non of your wooses here.
Now here's a guy who could wear a Scootacar as a helmet!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 02:23:45 PM »
Here is a link to some photo's.  http://www.icenicam.ukfsn.org/eventsk/150104.html

I just remembered, the 1980's Honda scooter that has two wheels at the back, bit like the ariel 3 really, lost it on the ice like the rest of us but never fell off, the scooter pirouetted 360 degrees but stayed upright! 
Maybe Andy is right, three wheels being better than two!

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 03:00:02 PM »
MOT next week.  I can join you on the next run Bob.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 03:13:03 PM »
I was really referring to your use of lol . Please don't !! We have one particular user of this forum who puts enough of lols on for the rest of us put together  ;D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 07:03:47 PM »
MOT next week.  I can join you on the next run Bob.

Show off!  Now I will have to buy a Grande prix to overshadow that.
Looks a nice bike, a bit modern but nice!
Look forward to a ride out with you. I think my next one will be the daffodil dash.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 07:07:12 PM by Bob Purton »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 07:06:05 PM »
Well as I said last time, not enough words, I'm not a mind reader. lol!!
I will stop using that if you stop the OMG!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 07:21:09 PM »
OFGS ! yes i promise to