Author Topic: A Bond drove by today !  (Read 63406 times)

Nimrod Cabin

• Chatty
Re: A Bond drove by !
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2015, 09:38:07 PM »
Brilliant pictures Alan. CDC looks very smart indeed and little wonder it took the concours at the Rolly rally.  Same colour as my G Tourer, EPV330D.
Seem to think CDC suffered from a fatigued front wheel on a down hill stretch when owned by Bob Meadows and did some serious damage to the underside.  Was painted red and white then.

Continuing on from Richard's comment, I remember EPV at Chatteris in about 1975, the first time I recall it was a Dulux job in orange and then the following year in green. An Ipswich Bond as was the then owners location, ie Ian Hall. Pleased to know it is still with us.

Similarly, a G Twin Estate at Chatteris had a fatigued front wheel rim which bent the floor up as the detached wheel went under, I have attached a picture of that very Bond, remember it Alan??
7 x Bond Minicars ABCCDDF

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2015, 09:45:25 PM »
I believe most G Tourers were built in 1965 and registered during that year on a 'C' suffix.  Milton's being the exception (the first Tourer) as it was registered at the end of 1964, for the Motorcycle show ????
Bob Cotton's two tone twin Tourer is on an 'E' suffix and Andy Price's green twin Tourer is on a 'G' suffix.  Must have been in a show room for several years.  Mine was built in September 1965 but not registered until half way through 66.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2015, 09:50:16 PM »
Stan tells me , despite being C reg , that mine is the last known G  estate in the club with a twin engine (  Q-5-43191RTE ) and is currently the second latest built Minicar in the club , the latest being the last one off the line .
of course i have messed about with it by putting a rear end of a Tourer on it . The Tourer rear end , you might remember , came from Truro in metallic blue but had originally been white with an unknown registration number , any ideas of a Tourer like that in that area at all ?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 10:29:10 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2015, 09:56:36 PM »

Continuing on from Richard's comment, I remember EPV at Chatteris in about 1975, the first time I recall it was a Dulux job in orange and then the following year in green. An Ipswich Bond as was the then owners location, ie Ian Hall. Pleased to know it is still with us.

Now that is very interesting  :).  Yes, it came from Ian Hall when he was giving up the spares service.  Suspected that it was on the Bond scene in the 70s as it clearly had been fully resprayed in the original (triumph ?) green, fitted with a new hood, reflective number plates and had an Info sticker in the screen when I bought it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 09:58:29 PM by scootacar »

Nimrod Cabin

• Chatty
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2015, 10:06:30 PM »
I believe most G Tourers were built in 1965 and registered during that year on a 'C' suffix.  Milton's being the exception (the first Tourer) as it was registered at the end of 1964, for the Motorcycle show ????
Bob Cotton's two tone twin Tourer is on an 'E' suffix and Andy Price's green twin Tourer is on a 'G' suffix.  Must have been in a show room for several years.  Mine was built in September 1965 but not registered until half way through 66.

During the seventies a Bond friend was very keen on gathering all the data he could on the Bonds that were around. I have grouped together a few notable Tourers here from his records, I am sure most of us know that 'P' is 1964 followed by the month (eg 10 + October) therefore Q is 1965 etc. See attached

Nimrod Cabin

• Chatty
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2015, 10:17:23 PM »
Stan tells me , despite being C reg , that mine was the last G , estate ? , with a twin engine and is currently the second latest built Minicar in the club , the latest being the last one off the line .
Richard
I have the last Twin Estate as a maroon one R/04/43244RTE and the last Single Estate as a blue one R/05/43245RE. This Bond is not far from here in Horsham, West Sussex, it is registered FUF 732D, a Brighton number so will have been supplied by Oakley Motor Units.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2015, 10:31:48 PM »
hi nick please see my amended earlier reply , i dont think it contradicts , or does it ? I see that there were no known white , or blue , Tourers at that time
wow they were really building very few by the end - about 1 a week !!!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 08:45:32 AM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2015, 10:45:13 PM »
I have a nice original one owner wedgewood blue twin estate, DTP266C, supplied new by John Fisher in Portsmouth that was built at the end of 1965.  Can't remember the chassis number but it used to be the second oldest known twin estate.  The last being 'Basildon Bond' (wedgewood blue also but on a D plate) which has also dropped of the scene in the last few years.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2015, 10:48:43 PM »
 did you mean second youngest or oldest ? mine was originally wedgewood blue too
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 10:53:21 PM by richard »

Nimrod Cabin

• Chatty
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2015, 10:52:01 PM »
I have a nice original one owner wedgewood blue twin estate, DTP266C, supplied new by John Fisher in Portsmouth that was built at the end of 1965.  Can't remember the chassis number but it used to be the second oldest known twin estate.  The last being 'Basildon Bond' (wedgewood blue also but on a D plate) which has also dropped of the scene in the last few years.

DTP 266C has chassis ref. Q/06/43195RTE - 4 cars newer than Richard's

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2015, 10:56:30 PM »

During the seventies a Bond friend was very keen on gathering all the data he could on the Bonds that were around. I have grouped together a few notable Tourers here from his records, I am sure most of us know that 'P' is 1964 followed by the month (eg 10 + October) therefore Q is 1965 etc. See attached

Oops, so EPV was actually built in October 64, presumably just in advance of the model launch in the November at the motorcycle show.  The supplying dealer must have been very disappointed...........
What do the not so obvious columns in the chart refer to ?.  Hood colour ?

Nimrod Cabin

• Chatty
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2015, 10:57:11 PM »
hi nick please see my amended earlier reply , i dont think it contradicts , or does it ? I see that there were known white , or blue , Tourers known at that time
wow they were really building very few by the end - about 1 a week !!!
No contradiction Richard, Stan said 'in the club' so it must be so, however MDT 90D is still around, a light blue Twin Estate and 20 cars newer than yours.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2015, 11:01:28 PM »
stans letter 9/06/09 said that mine "was currently the youngest known twin estate in the club " either stans info was incorrect or he didnt have DTP details on file or as I see Stan was doing his usual trick  ;) once it's not in the club he appears to scrub it off  :) very confusing if he actually really knew it was still around
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 11:03:45 PM by richard »

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2015, 11:04:31 PM »

DTP 266C has chassis ref. Q/06/43195RTE - 4 cars newer than Richard's

Now that is impressive data.  You know more than I do and it's parked in my garage !!.
Sorry Richard, yes, I meant youngest.  The youngest twin being MDT90D, Basildon Bond, which has sadly dropped out the club and changed hands a few times in recent years.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2015, 11:09:45 PM »
it is impressive - did you know mine before i just posted it and how ? Actually found some info -  the first time the club knew of it it was owned in 1996 by phil riley of stoke -o-t and david greaves of nottingham by 1999 then dropped out . Do you know either of these ?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 11:17:39 PM by richard »