Author Topic: Progress ?  (Read 2673 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Progress ?
« on: January 16, 2015, 09:39:30 AM »
My new skoda Octavia was delivered with no spare key so I am now at the dealers to have a blank and the original recoded . Between 20 mins and two hours - depending on how busy skoda main computer is ! Ofgs give me a blank and I will get one cut at the cobblers  ;D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Progress ?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 09:46:22 AM »
If it were old Skoda it would be a cut key. Good engineers when allowed to be. See London Eye. Now you have to buy into electrical bollocks that will count up the number of times you use the car, the mileage, etc and then it will expire on program so it has to have money spent on it. Still if your not paying the bills it probably does not matter. Me, I will stick to stuff without an ECU, until I can program my own anyway.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 10:31:53 AM »
My new skoda Octavia was delivered with no spare key so I am now at the dealers to have a blank and the original recoded . Between 20 mins and two hours - depending on how busy skoda main computer is ! Ofgs give me a blank and I will get one cut at the cobblers  ;D
Cant you just hotwire it?
Hey I thought you promised not to use ofgs???  LOL!!!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 10:47:17 AM »
I said I would try ! If I said what I really meant i would be banned - still here waiting 1 1/4 hours so far ! To code a key ...
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 11:31:23 AM »
Done !! 2 1/4 hours !!!

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 03:27:04 PM »
For my Mini, a new key can only be obtained by ordering it from Mini/BMW.  And no change from £150.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 06:33:32 PM »
Ask a kid from Essex and you will be in for free in about a minute. Seriously though, they ought to hold theft Olympics and we can see how effective these expensive devices really are. The better deterrents are things like locking the gearbox, Saab or isolating the battery, performance machines. The humble Microcars offer the fuel tap. This is beyond even some owners to operate!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 06:56:14 PM »
 One of my many & multitudinous books is the memoirs of the former Rootes Group's chief publicity officer, who recounts several amusing tales of the ups & downs of the motor industry & those who worked in it. One story he recounts is that a maker of a very sophisticated & expensive car, with all the bells & whistles, central locking, alarms etc etc, claimed it to be burglar-proof, and that nobody but the owner, in position of the correct codes etc would ever be able to get into it without permission.

To prove this, they laid on a full-scale demonstration to the bigwigs of the motor industry & motor press, to come and watch a former professional car thief try to gain entry to it. According to legend, the chap walked round the car from one end to the other. Looked at the front bumper and then gave one certain area a swift, discreet kick.  The result was, the vehicle electrics detected that a "crash" had occurred and so deployed the airbags etc and unlocked the central locking allowing said crook to enter said car in less than ten seconds. Cue several red faces around the industry that day.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 07:56:15 PM »
Well at least it might have been a lot of hot air. Does this book cover 'The Slug', precursor to the Imp and of considerable Microcar interest.