Author Topic: micro cars in auction  (Read 18163 times)

john p

• Occasional
micro cars in auction
« on: January 16, 2015, 04:58:53 PM »
anglia car auction kings lynn end of jan micro cars in auction scootacar x2 nobel,bonds and berkeley x2

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Re: micro cars in auction
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 01:04:48 PM »
Too little Information.
Please give us all you can get, including pictures and a link if possible.
Thanks

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 01:30:32 PM »
Many of us will be going to this auction to try and buy these British cars, why would we want to aid you to outbid us and export them to the USA?
Dont you have enough of our heritage already?
See what happens when people blab about these things on the forum?

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 04:59:56 PM »
That's twice you've accused me of "blabbing", Bob.  It's rude of you, and clearly done for selfish reasons.

If you don't like the intentions of the forum, you could always decide not to read it. 

(Because it was rude, and because it's specifically contrary to the intentions of the forum, I have naturally reported your latest post to the moderators.)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 05:14:50 PM »
Sorry for any offence caused but it is still my opinion and if one of the moderators wants to remove it then they can.. My motive here is to keep the last few British microcars in the uk.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 05:39:39 PM »
I have never been after any Bond, and I find the appearance of Mark 2 Scoots to be less appealing than the Mark ones, that I finally obtained a rust free example of one from Eastern Canada in 2011, after 20 years of trying.
I do like both 3 and 4 wheeled versions of Nobels enough to have purchased one of each. One from Wisconsin in 2009 at the same time as obtaining my AC Petite that needed fabrication of a complete and complex floor and frame rails.  The other Nobel came from Eastern Canada also.

Last September I finally landed my long sought after Berkeley with Excelsior triple motor, from Quebec, and am still working out an affordable way to get it to Los Angeles.
The only truly British micro car that I have ever exported from your country was Dave Morgan's FF3, after notice of its availability had first been made on this very same forum several months earlier.

That is unless you include the Trojan that I bought off of Ebay UK that you were kind enough to transport to the docks for me, because owing to both its commonality, and Irish/ German heritage it was not on your personal version of the British endangered species list.

Many California based rust free examples of classic American cars are shipped from our shores by British Dealers and collectors every day.
I also remember members of this forum showing no concern about robbing Americans of their heritage when a "one off" American made micro became available in virtually my back yard, a few years ago.

I have still never sold a single micro car, have at best an only average income, but perhaps prioritize more highly, and therefore persist in my efforts more than most.

If you decide to vilify me for doing what you would commend your own country men for doing- Good day to you sir.

I currently have no other British cars on my "buy before I die" list.
I simply am interested in seeing what is going on in the world of Micro cars, because I am a true enthusiast.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 05:45:55 PM by steven mandell »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 06:00:57 PM »
I consider myself truly reprimanded Steve. A very well measured reply in my view. As you can tell I am very passionate these days about not losing all our rarest microcars to overseas collectors. I guess I could be accused of being a born again Cornockite! [Bond owners will know what that means] You know all this anyway as we have had many a conversation in the past which Dave wouldnt know about. I will leave my post up so people can see just how rude I am when rattled. It was slightly tongue in cheek but can see how that wouldnt have been easily detected by those who dont know us.
The only point I would contend is the one about British folk buying American classics, true but there are an awfull lot of those and very very few microcars now.
Rest assured if I can be of help to you with your currently owned cars I will as I always have done. Live long and prosper.   Grumpy Bob
Boy, is that humble pie sticking in my throat! ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 02:42:37 PM by Bob Purton »

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 06:02:57 PM »
The idea of following a forum's intention, Bob, is not that people say inappropriate things and then leave it to the moderators to remove their comments.

The idea is that we don't say inappropriate things in the first place. (Think of litter: not many would respect someone who says "If you don't like my litter, you can always remove it".)

On the forum's home page, we are asked to report, on the forum, when microcars come up for auction on eBay, etc.  Perhaps this forum is not for you.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 06:16:28 PM »
Surely you dont believe that everyone posting a comment on a forum agrees with every aim and intention of the person who set up the said forum do you? Funny enough the guy who originally set up our forum isnt even a microcar enthusiast.
A forum is to voice ones views is it not? Others dont have to agree with those views.
Me and Steve go back a long way and are quite used to knocking ten bells out of each other, its the kind of relationship we have.
If Steve wants me to remove it I will.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 06:25:45 PM »
Apology graciously accepted. :)

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 06:44:22 PM »
Surely you dont believe that everyone posting a comment on a forum agrees with every aim and intention of the person who set up the said forum do you?
Certainly not. But if you're expecting people not to complain at your non-conformist view, then you should hardly complain at my posting which did conform!

Banter is fine. The Elgin approach to microcar ownership perhaps less so.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 07:12:01 PM »
I have no problem with people complaining about my views.
 Lets just agree to disagree Dave. I'm sure we would agree on the other 95% of all issues.

Has there ever been talk of setting up a Bond forum?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 10:08:37 AM »
I am not sure Bob holds a non conformist view. He voices a common concern over the tendency of the pool of microcars to diminish here, to sales elsewhere. He just voiced this, pressed the button a bit quick, for which he apologised to the party crossed, and has to be quiet, as if he is not politically correct like a Muslim hater or something. Debate is healthy.

There is a serious situation behind this. As the car numbers fall in the UK, so does the activity in them and that effects social activity, buying power for part manufacture in our bit of the world, etc etc. I am a free market supporter, so my take on it is that if the Brits do not pay 'the going rate' they loose the cars. However that does resolve the issue in our favour. The economy currently looks like helping some economies pick up the cars for less of their currency, than for a while.

I think the defence here, and while I know the owner of the cars well, is that the auctioneer selection, regional, and timing, are we all going bto Kings Lynn if it snows, suggest a disappointing menu of top bids. We have watched the vagueness of auctions over the years. In America a Goggo Coupe has just fetch a ridiculous sum of money. This summer a load of 'desirable' Schmitt projects went through for no great values. Most to trade to be turned around for a mark up.

There is the rub. The trade will take microcars now. They underwrite the prices. You want a car you either have to find an off market car ,or pay at least trade price for it. Oddly as a trader, retired, I would not be investing at the prices most cars seem to have reached. There is fresher meat to cook with out there. But many of the trade follow patterns rather than look for new ones.

Its a catch 22. Less cars here, less interest and activity, but the cars are rarer, so the price goes up. That excludes another layer of buyer. And so it goes on. However a good proportion of the cars are moving from single/low ownership owners to multiple owners. So the frequency of sell offs, clearing unwanted collections, in an ageing population, means we will endlessly have these buying contests. There is not the satisfaction of following a tip into the countryside and digging out an unknown car. That's what I get off on. Not the Miss World parade of cars wearing make up. The challenge there is just to beat the other guy. Yet it is only the folk who make new cars available, and the increasing interest world wide that drives this market, which could very well end up like a pyramid selling enterprise where the last guy out with the money in the bank is the winner. Look what has happened to other collectables.

Here is no effective way of keeping the cars in Britain in a world market, that I can think of, but for paying the price it takes to stop the cars going abroad. Unlike some countries I cannot see them being classed as heritage and banned from export. Poor publicity helps to keep them here, of course. Same as it ensures less people at events. I've finally got it! Less people at events, less people wanting a car as they've not been inspired, less local competition to buy up those cars into a collection. How cunning campervan man is.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 12:07:13 PM »
Mmmm. You're easily befuddled, Al  ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 12:12:13 PM by DaveMiller »

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2015, 01:11:03 PM »
Dear All

I think this discussion has gone far enough, as buyers and sellers will never agree. Sellers want everybody to know so they reach the ears of the highest bidder. The buyers want to be first on the spot and get it for the cheapest price. The true value is presumably somewhere between the two.

The forum has just as much commitment to sellers as buyers, and therefore if sellers want to tell us all they have something to sell, that is perfectly reasonable. Similarly if buyers wish to tell no body that they know that a car or part is for sale, then that is their right to remain silent. For the rest of us who have neither something to sell or to buy, we can choose if we wish to tell others or not.

It seems to me that complaining about the issue gets us nowhere, as this is what is commonly term LIFE, and as such we must learn to live it.

Please accept this as the final word. From here on the moderators will delete if this persists.

Chris Thomas

Peace and Harmony to you all