Author Topic: Southern Aircraft (Gatwick) Ltd - Swift 4 Wheel Bubble Car  (Read 39726 times)

David Dale

• Occasional
Re: Southern Aircraft (Gatwick) Ltd - Swift 4 Wheel Bubble Car
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2015, 06:51:54 PM »
sorry to harp on a point but could anyone get the scale of the Swift photograph worked out ? see two pics from Sparrows book show that without a driver , or something else to compare , a microcar may appear " normal " size until you put a driver in it  ;)

I am not sure what sizes those distinctive wheel embellishers on the Swift come in, but I have seen them on other microcars.  I have zoomed in on a tyre and it looks like they are 12" wheels, so based on this and my calculations.....I think the wheel base is 6 foot.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2015, 07:01:22 PM »
Yep 125 by 12. Large wheels for a microcar. Look like the same sort of stuff as might fitted to Invacar Mk12, though on a different hub carrier. If so something pretty common on the Girling front and off the shelf rims.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2015, 07:40:16 PM »
and i would have thought the bug a little less with maybe 10" wheels - oh well , but .....
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2015, 09:58:09 AM »
So if we continue to link the Swift with Lightburn ideas, what evidence is there?

I have drawn a blank on a good picture of the Zeta Sports suspension. The Zeta was front wheel drive. I could not say that the Swift front assembly has much in common with the Zeta. However the Zeta did use the Villiers 3T engine. It did have a chain diff. Who made them? Considering Lightburn had a pretty extensive business he could have done these in house. Villiers, equally could have made them. But how many 4 wheel cars used the 3T? Back to Frisky, and its 3T cars, Did they have this diff? Where did it come from?

There is some indications that the rear suspension shares Zeta Sports ideas. It is of passing interest that the Zeta, Zeta Sport and Swift use a sardine tin, non villiers, airfilter.

The Zeta used 12 inch wheels in conjunction with the 3T engine. The Zeta Sports, 10 inch wheels in conjunction with the FMR 500 unit. The 12 inch wheel and tyres look the same spec. If the diff is one and the same than it is clear the gearing is already worked out, why change it?

Some good info or pics of the Zeta suspension would pretty much confirm the Swift as an independent spin off from the Frisky stable. Assuming the car dates to post Zeta there is a logical progression.

However until the evidence is clear we are no further ahead. I have not had time to look at personnel, a lot more time consuming.

Any one else?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2015, 10:26:27 AM »
What a beautiful looking car, reminds me a little of the Mink, what was the inspiration for that one? The Swift maybe better looking than the Bug, though gullwing's are somewhat flawed. I wonder  how many gullwing bubble cars actually made it into production! None, other than the odd electric French thing.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2015, 10:35:21 AM »
Hmmm

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2015, 10:55:28 AM »
Ha gotcha blob  :) nice too hear from you  :) where've you been ?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 12:06:36 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2015, 11:44:29 AM »
What a beautiful looking car, reminds me a little of the Mink, what was the inspiration for that one? The Swift maybe better looking than the Bug, though gullwing's are somewhat flawed. I wonder  how many gullwing bubble cars actually made it into production! None, other than the odd electric French thing.

The Bamby, but not for long.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2015, 02:44:52 PM »

The French gullwing pop up toaster. Bombing Baguettes for the Bourgeoisie.

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2015, 04:58:12 PM »
Of course Barry there's that too and I don't think Schmitt's and Inters count either. A canopy isn't a true gullwing. Less than 10 then, a lot of after thought approaches.

Richard, house renovating has 90% of my attension, though am awaiting the unveiling of Bobbette and the Beaulieu Autojumble!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 05:49:28 PM by blob »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2015, 05:04:32 PM »
You do know that Cursor is Barry's pride and joy don't you Blob? You may not like them but that's a bit strong.

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2015, 05:22:40 PM »
On the contrary I'm not saying I hate them, more they're poorly designed. Anyway, I thought Barry's favourite was the Willam. Coincidentally just found a rather good pic of him on a Lambretta site presenting said vehicle, although there are a number of statements following the Cursors reputation on this site greater than my minor comment!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 05:50:27 PM by blob »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2015, 07:19:23 PM »
Oh by the way I dont think that even from the excellent photographs there's a way of telling whether it's a Villiers 2T 250 or 3T 324cc ? by sight - one is just the bored out version of the other . I think that in all other ways they are identical ? Perhaps Steven could tell us if that's correct ?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 08:17:50 PM by richard »

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2015, 10:54:35 PM »
Externally, a 2T blower looks very similar to a 3T blower.  The 4T was a development of the 2T for use in a Bond.  Modified cylinders and heads for cooling purposes I believe.  The 3T though is a different beast.  Bottom ends are similar to the 2T and 4T but the cylinders are not simply bored out from the 2T as I found out when I tried to upgrade my Bond G 250 Twin to a 324 Twin by swapping the pistons, barrels and heads...........

I would say the engine shown in the Swift is a 3T and has some very similar unique features seen on a Frisky 3T. 

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2015, 07:51:06 AM »

Here we have a picture of the Zeta Sport front suspension. There is a similarity, but it is not the same. Then, as mentioned this is a low car on 10 inch wheels meant as a sporting car. That is significantly different to carrying three people on 12 inch wheels. Also the fact that the front and rear assemblies are pictured as units suggests that the Swift is either a GRP Monocoque with the axles inserted, or a GRP shell with chassis onto which the subassemblies are bolted. This construction differs from the Frisky series and Zeta.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 07:57:50 AM by Big Al »