Author Topic: Southern Aircraft (Gatwick) Ltd - Swift 4 Wheel Bubble Car  (Read 39745 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Southern Aircraft (Gatwick) Ltd - Swift 4 Wheel Bubble Car
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2015, 08:03:35 AM »

The rear suspension on the Zeta Sport. We really need a couple of other shots but this seem more consistent with that which we see on the Swift rear subassembly. The tube going across is in place of the drive shafts so as to allow the car to roll and have the rear suspension remain in place. Goggo owners will know the problem.

I am not convinced myself, but there is enough to suggest common thought.

With respect to the 3T. It is not a simple overbore of the 2T. I believe the single piston that fits is a 2H and that will not fit an overbored 2T. So quite what the difference is I do not know. The 3T certainly performs very well and a Berkeley with one in happily outclassed its Excelsior twin chums. Its a great shame the 3T was so late into the field. There are a few microcars that would have benefited from it. Is a 4T as lively as the 3T?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 08:15:33 AM by Big Al »
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

super-se7en (Malc Dudley)

• Quite Chatty
  • Two Frisky sports
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2015, 09:58:48 AM »
I bought two 3T engines from Australia last year that came out of lightburn zeta cars.
 This photo shows the rear of the engine with the chain driven final drive and half shafts. Note the cross tube and suspension mounting.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2015, 10:44:28 AM »
Indeed, again not the same but similar. Perhaps forced by the mounts and need to support in that position. Its not convincing, is it.

What are the 3T going in? Frisky?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

super-se7en (Malc Dudley)

• Quite Chatty
  • Two Frisky sports
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2015, 11:39:21 AM »
The best 3T is going into by blue sport with the other as a spare.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2015, 01:06:01 PM »
Lovely  :D sorry I had it that Steven bought two 3t's from Australia , good on yer Sport  :) still unsure about the visible, and invisible , differences are between the 2 and 3 T are
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 01:07:34 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

john Meadows

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2015, 09:56:26 AM »
Hi Dave
Sorry I am not able to contribute to this discussion on your very interesting micro.
I have put out a couple of feelers but being in Spain makes it a little difficult to follow up as they are not on the  web.

Info on the Frisky Bug prototype, Gull wing and Sprint can be found on the Frisky Web site under Prototypes  and information on Gordon Bedson with both his Automobile and Aviation hats on under People. The later being written by David Young in Australia.

I wish you luck with your investigations, its a great looking little car

Regards
John
www.meadowsfrisky.co.uk

David Dale

• Occasional
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2015, 11:03:59 AM »
Hi John,

Thank you for your help and interest with this.  Also thanks for the information on Gordon Bedson and the other cars.   I have a feeler out of my own at the moment, but so far nothing has come of it.

Regards

Dave

Hi everyone,

I would like to thank you all for showing an interest in my quest to find more information on this car and perhaps learn of its whereabouts.   I have been completely overwhelmed by it all and I am very grateful for the research you are doing behind the scenes.

If I find out anything more about this car, or Mr Coxon, I will post an update here, as filling in small gaps may help in “connecting the dots”.

I have been finding all the responses to my initial post fascinating and I am learning a lot.

Thanks again and regards

Dave

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2015, 03:07:35 PM »
Lovely  :D sorry I had it that Steven bought two 3t's from Australia , good on yer Sport  :) still unsure about the visible, and invisible , differences are between the 2 and 3 T are

bigger pots/pistons ? (do 4t's have a shorter con rod ?) , whatever a pair of S19's will do them the world of good - did wonders on my 4T .

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2015, 04:31:18 PM »
Think all share the same rod and I thought barrels/heads as the Villiers books say that it was just a bore out ( 7mm ) but Grant was hinting at darker mysteries . I am pretty sure 2t to 4t is just extra transfer ports and different head finning to suit the Bond as I don't think the 4T was ever used on a two wheeler ?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 11:02:11 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2015, 07:47:43 PM »
I thought it was something to do with the bottom end power , did'nt Villiers alter the crank/big end area for differing stroke  on the 4T to suit the Bond .?
The Franny Barntts had a 2T in them - our local bobby had one in the late 50's early 60's .

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2015, 01:32:25 AM »
I would think the cars needed more torque at lower speed. Also high revs were out as the dynostart would become an inertial problem, as opposed to a mag. Very often why shoving a pure bike engine into a car with less 'power' does not actually workout as particularly drivable.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2015, 09:28:54 AM »
Hi John,

Thank you for your help and interest with this.  Also thanks for the information on Gordon Bedson and the other cars.   I have a feeler out of my own at the moment, but so far nothing has come of it.

Regards

Dave

Hi everyone,

I would like to thank you all for showing an interest in my quest to find more information on this car and perhaps learn of its whereabouts.   I have been completely overwhelmed by it all and I am very grateful for the research you are doing behind the scenes.

If I find out anything more about this car, or Mr Coxon, I will post an update here, as filling in small gaps may help in connecting the dots”.

I have been finding all the responses to my initial post fascinating and I am learning a lot.

Thanks again and regards

Dave

I agree that many have brought interesting and valuable observations and considerations into this discussion, and have with held my impression from the get go, so as not to stifle the fun.
But to be honest, I simply didn't want to burst anybody's bubble car bubble with my first impression that I am still stuck with.
 That is that all similarities of both style and engineering are only period specific, but not more than that.
I think that the obvious similarity between Frisky and Zeta Sport front suspensions clearly show that they are designed by the same hand, but I have seen nothing compelling linking the subject  of this discussion with other works beyond the fact that they were created in the same era.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 09:31:10 AM by steven mandell »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2015, 11:47:48 AM »
I am coming to that opinion, myself. Certain choices create constraints. Like picking what I feel sure is a 3T power unit. Clearly it is predisposed to look something like a Frisky. So there has to be a good match to say there was a link. Its not really showing up, if it is there. After all just seeing the opposition designs is enough to crib an idea.
That said a bit of time to read up might yet offer information. Might not be what I am looking for, but something else entirely. Its the thrill of the chase. It would also be very interesting to find the in tact car, if it exists.

David Dale

• Occasional
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2015, 08:53:30 PM »
Exciting update.  Today I have just made contact on Facebook with John Coxon's grandaughter.  Fingers crossed with regards to more information.  :)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2015, 07:50:59 AM »
A few clues would set the hare up again, I think. Be great if the current resting place is known.