Author Topic: Bond MkD headlights  (Read 6620 times)

Basket case

• Chatty
Bond MkD headlights
« on: December 14, 2014, 06:00:15 PM »
Hi, my MkD restoration is coming on well, but I'm stuck for headlights. I have the reflectors and bulb holders but I need the headlight rims and Raydyot lenses. Is there a readily available headlight rim that I could modify and could I get glass cut and then bead blasted to replicate the lenses (I've never seen them so I'm guessing here). I guess there should be some sort of headlight bowl too?
I have complete nos Lucas 575 headlights but these seem to be too big. Advice and help most welcome. Even better, does anybody have any spares they could sell me?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Bond MkD headlights
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 06:22:14 PM »
well this , I think , is what you are looking for ( they are correct for Gordon and Bond C so i think D ) very hard to find but blasting may be an idea if not too obscuring . I have bowls listed in next issue RUM due anytime now . You will also require the Mazac castings . I don't know the Lucas L575
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 06:36:25 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 06:37:32 PM »
castings
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Basket case

• Chatty
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 06:49:22 PM »
Wow! I didn't expect that. About to send you a PM. If you don't get it please let me know. I don't know the way round this site too well.

Basket case

• Chatty
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 06:57:12 PM »
this is what I have at the moment

Basket case

• Chatty
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 06:58:43 PM »
Not sure what they are off, but they are in vgc.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 08:05:51 PM »
i didn't get a pm yet , just click on my name at the side here and then on send pm . no idea of size of those lights but if they fit it might be fine as it is . Nimrod Cabin , Dave Miller Jim etc.  on this site would have more idea what people are using though I think  ;)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 12:55:32 PM »
I only have replica , cut from 1970's Lucas units , bowls . The only difference being the exit hole for the wiring is not immediately to the rear but offset . I made a few pairs and offering them in RUM mag at £18 plus p&p
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 02:26:18 PM by richard »

Basket case

• Chatty
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 07:21:25 PM »
Hi Richard, just checking you got my last PM saying I'd like to purchase a pairs of bowls? Also if anybody can identify or needs the headlights I have, they are up for grabs. Nos by the looks of it, complete with good rubbers etc.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 07:53:28 PM »
Yep got that , away on business this week and actually in Glasgow and Edinburgh so will sort out a pair at the weekend and contact you then okay ?

Basket case

• Chatty
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 09:23:33 PM »
Great. Enjoy Edinburgh. Take care in Glasgow!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 10:21:43 PM »
I presume you have seen the Gordon/Bond C/D lenses on eBay finishing tomorrow - not cheap but if you do want originals

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 09:13:39 PM »
so they just finished with one bid , i do hope it was you that got them  ;)

Basket case

• Chatty
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 09:55:14 PM »
Yip, thanks for the heads up - I am hopefully the proud new owner. I now have reflectors, lenses and bulb holders. Now looking for rims. I've heard Bantam ones might work?.....any other suggestions? Thanks for your help.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 07:13:16 AM »
Well a rim that will fit is okay but you will have to have a round hole in the top , some are made with a water drain hole in the bottom so turn over ? , and you will need two slots cutting at aprox 2 and 10 O'clock - this won't do a lot for the chrome plating . All this I am thinking of as I need to do the same still for the Gordon