Author Topic: Upholstery  (Read 17774 times)

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
Upholstery
« on: February 10, 2015, 10:19:06 PM »
Getting abit carried away with the sewing machine , done this for my brothers beach buggy rear seats

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
Re: Upholstery
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 11:12:09 PM »
Dear Steve

What temperature did you cook it at?

Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 11:12:32 PM »
Hot Seat

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 12:01:29 PM »
Haha Yep deff boiled it up ! If any one wants a Seat recovered i will do it for the price of the vinyl and postage to and from me , I need the practice , come on guys who's got a seat they want doing !

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 11:29:32 AM »
Didn't mean to be up at 3am finishing these

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 03:20:26 PM »
Haha Yep deff boiled it up ! If any one wants a Seat recovered i will do it for the price of the vinyl and postage to and from me , I need the practice , come on guys who's got a seat they want doing !

Vinyl  :o , we want Leatherette , and  we'll settle for nowt else  :D

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 04:13:57 PM »
Ah, "two nations divided by a common language".  British vinyl is American leatherette - well, except that vinyl is made in a factory whereas cute little leatherettes are bred on a ranch, then clubbed to death and skinned to make an upholstery material.  I read that on the internet, so it must be true.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 04:43:51 PM »
To be honest American leatherette is British Vinyl with the leathery pattern moulded onto it but dont tell Plas man, he will get upset. ;D

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 08:53:39 PM »
Haha you lot are nuts ! It's leatherette, it's from an auto trimmers so good quality , the stuff I got off eBay was very thin and rubbish , I will put more detailed photos of the stitching to say if that will convince someone to let me sort out there seat

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 09:28:50 PM »
There is, I think, a difference between leatherette and vinyl - but it's one of era, rather than definition and composition.

To me, the sort of thin, hard, totally unstretchable seat covering that was in the 1955 Bond I bought in 1970 was leatherette. The sort of material used in my first "proper" car (a '62 Vauxhall VX 4/90) looked actually less like leather (mind you, it was metallic blue!) but was thicker and more giving, being slightly elastic. That was vinyl.

Or is that just me?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 09:35:33 PM »
well I for one would love to take you up on it , my Bond A and Gordon are done - need hoods for both still  :-\ I would love to get seats made up for the Bruetsch Pfeil but have no base or back to start with . there is a thick central tube in the car front to rear and yet I think the seat should be a one piece seat and a seperate one piece seat back . How to sort it a haven't worked out yet . Any ideas ?

i think you may have a point Dave , leatherette similar to that used to cover record players radios etc. or was that Rexine ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 10:15:03 PM »
Has it got any frame to it at all ?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 11:12:54 PM »
Rexine, I think my Vox AC30 is covered in that stuff.

I agree with Dave, the earlier stuff was probably still made from vinyl but had different characteristics. I remember when Rhonda Bell trimmed my Inter seats with a nice grained Leatherette from Woolies she moaned about it not having any stretch in it. I remember it being backed with a very stoat canvas. A lot of the modern vinyl's are too stretchable in my view.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 11:17:38 PM »
My Isetta seat needs recovering Steve. The vinyl is splitting along the stitch lines. It has to be a good job mind.

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 11:43:04 PM »
Leatherette has got a stretch to it , I will do a few more seats first before taking apart a seat that looks good already , I was after a metal frame or a seat that was completly ruined to upholster and learn from , that seat I just done cost me £25 so peanuts really, I'm guessing a pro would charge £300 for a custom seat and it's come out really well