Author Topic: the bigger picture  (Read 13088 times)

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
Re: the bigger picture
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 03:44:57 PM »
I disagree with you Richard most people in the eighties still looked with distain on the smaller BMW especially in the BMW car club if you turned up with one at their meetings you were either at the back or on the outskirts
Funny little car that did no good for the image of the time
The other cars like the Bond were treated as well your here but do we really want you
I do not think the auction above or the one recently did us enthusiasts any favours and I hope he is unable to buy any more cars
1952 B minitruck 1957 Isetta bubble

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 04:12:51 PM »
I said it was gaining media attention , I did not say that mainstream BMW owners had, have or would accept them that's quite a different matter .
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 04:36:21 PM »
A bit of attention all cars lumped together other cars had a section devoted to one make of car
i.e sports cars about as useless as they come but pages and pages about something with two seats and little else
How many articles can you find about Bonds and all the different marks in one article for instance
No Richard it was a token gesture
1952 B minitruck 1957 Isetta bubble

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 04:54:47 PM »
calm down my friend , just observing things as I saw them  :) I was there , it was my new hobby and they were being written about in the "serious " classic car mags , and the Sunday supplements etc. The changes had started ......
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2015, 05:14:16 PM »
I suppose we need to look at what drives someone to read a car-magazine article.

Perhaps it's desire - a wish that the reader, too, could have one of those.  Countless boys and young men grew up wanting a sports car, and never got it.  Perhaps in later life they could afford it, and satisfied the desire; in vastly greater numbers, they didn't, but still like to read about what they dreamed of.

Very few people dreamed of having an economy car, so there  hasn't been quite the same desire to pander to.  The people who in their later years bought microcars are the small band of people who DID have a microcar when young, or who have fond memories of such a car.  To the rest, it's something they never wanted, so why would they want to read about it.

It is only in recent years that microcars have been desired as "oddities", rather than objects of male fantasy.  Articles which pick up on the interest in oddity naturally span the range of microcars, to bring in more that is odd.

To me, the development of Bonds from one mark to another IS interesting, but (sadly) I don't suppose it is to the majority of car magazine readers.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2015, 07:38:39 PM »
Your onto something there, Dave.

What effect did the few Goodwood meetings have that showed the cars off. The enormous crowds they pulled would attract those sorts of folk who want to be noticed. The sort of guy who could buy something odd to put in the corner behind the Lamborgini. Twats like that DJ. That sort of collector is competitive. Its that sort of buyer who will outbid at auction to win, at a cost of a weeks earnings or less. The car itself is not as important as its image, and that there is a reference book you can cross it off in, till you own all the set.

To a lesser degree restored cars at local shows only really get upstaged by Morgan trikes and such. Again the folk who want to be noticed can buy a lifestyle in the showground year. However a Microcar rally of 50 other equally odd cars means your not the centre of attraction. So why go miles to be a bit player ,when in 10 miles your a star? Some of those owners are not going to be microcar enthusiasts. They will be the ones currently not buying IC, for instance, as your the weirdo in the corner. The IC is where the bubblecar was in about 1982/4. French fridges, what, about 1990?

The mags reflect what people want to read about, not what they own. Indeed if there is a good mag presence in a vehicle I almost do not want one! The very reason to tune a Borgward, not a BMC or Ford. Its different, a challenge, but having done my homework, there is good concept and engineering with which to create something overlooked by most people. If it is successful, it will be banned, as that is what the normal answer is to folk who upset the known order of things. I have been through this several times, with ground effect radio control racing cars beating the best of the traditional ones and such like. And trading cars, of course.
That's why microcars were not historically welcomed at classic car events. They nicked the show. The bikers were more even handed. Now everyone wants a slice of the action, but normally not without a price tag - see Top Gear filming, Gaydon Rallies etc etc. Well sorry, if you did not want to know me when I was unfashionable, you are not taking my independence of action just because I am now, sunshine. No, I own the right to do my best for my interest and cars, its not for rent to possers with agendas. Look at the continual theft of concept and design on line. These people need to get out more and do some original work. However its easier to copy something discovered by someone else, especially if you can convince folk its your idea. 

I like the real micronauts as they are a group of pretty independent awkward folk who do not do what they are told. There still out there, thank god.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2015, 07:54:08 PM »
meanwhile in Essex:
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-31668640

egg prices will never be the same after someone pays £480 for ONE EGG!
Egg enthusiasts will look back on this day and remember where they were during this watershed moment.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2015, 08:24:42 PM »
Great story! We do things differently here in Essex!

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2015, 08:30:37 PM »
Great story! We do things differently here in Essex!
Yes, you pay crazy prices for eggs!
But they probably bought it to go with their henway.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2015, 10:44:04 PM »
Or is it the county of 'S eggs'.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2015, 11:35:43 PM »
I had a feeling this would lead to some yoke cracking! That is a lot of money to shell out though for one egg.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 12:15:51 AM »
Come on Steve Fisk !!! I posted a photo spread of your families collection on the forum today , you have been on and not commented on the photo did you not see it ?  :)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2015, 09:09:14 AM »
Where did you post the Fisk collection? I can see them.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2015, 09:52:14 AM »
You can or you can't Bob ? Anyhow the centre spread of my magazine selection , the word microcosm , features the 6 car collection of the Fisk family and I had thought the young boy to be Steve himself but it must be a brother or friend of the family - either way I was waiting for someone to spot it  :) all my efforts in vain  ;)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2015, 12:14:58 PM »
Sorry for the typo, I meant I cant see it. Still cant. What am I missing here?