Author Topic: Stator plates  (Read 4669 times)

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
Stator plates
« on: February 27, 2015, 09:53:40 PM »
I need help with a stator plate it's not giving off any readings , I've got 3 plates, one is reading 00.0 the other 2 aren't registering anything , does any one know something about car electrics or someone in hertfordshire that could look at them

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Stator plates
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 07:57:27 AM »
What are you trying to measure?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 10:06:50 AM »
Just trying to see if it's a working part apparently you can test the resistance in ohms but I really know nothing to do with wires and electrics

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 11:32:42 AM »
Steve - first you need to know what values to expect, for each part of the circuit (ie, what the reading should be, as you measure between each pair of wires, or between each wire and earth).

These are likely to be very low values - a few ohms.  Low values are difficult to measure, and you'll certainly need a meter set to VERY much less than the 200k range.

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 11:58:22 AM »
I can't find any info or understand the info it's a lombardini 340 petrol engine, I'm not sure what to do now , I've only got that multimeter , I've phoned around people who repair alternators but they cant help with it , I'm abit stuck

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 12:30:46 PM »
I am assuming that these units are known suspect. Otherwise its bang one on and see what it does after checking for direct shorts.

The principle is simple enough. Spin the coils in a magnetic field and there should be an electric charge made. So it is possible to create a base that will fit a drill and spin the coils, or unit, up and measure an output. A big magnet out of something else might be used to prove something is happening. Clearly if there is no action and the unit is stripped to only wire, not including ancillaries, points etc, then it suggests an internal failure loosing the charge. 'Tiz bug red. The ancillaries and points can be static tested. So in a way the values are a nicety, as if it has the fizz on whizz it should do the bizz. In reality there might be a leak of charge enough to make the unit unreliable. That is more difficult to check and would require some degree of accuracy. Not sure if that helps or I am telling you what you already know. I claim no huge successes with mags. I have won, and have lost.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 05:46:31 PM »
I dont suppose there are any points if it is a modern unit.

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 05:48:17 PM »
No there's no points as it's a Magnito set up , It was brought as a working part , I phoned the man that sold it to me said it works fine and to bolt it up and run it , so I guess that's what I will have to do , I just wanted to understand how to test it before committing  myself to taking things apart , cheers

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 06:55:54 PM »
The issue is integrity of the circuit. If you must use electronics you have the joy of having to find out when they do not work. Not sure how to do that but to see it working. If it does not, normally that's dustbin time. With points, its kind of obvious. If it does not work, you scrap the unit for parts to make one out of two or something. Its different thinking. Mechanical dexterity over bought in obsolescence.
I look forward to putting the mechanical fuel injection system on my Borg as per 1954, that will be a few Sunday's mucking about! Electronics is just cheating by comparison. Fortunately its not allowed in the regulations. But I might eat my words if we cannot figure it out!

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 07:45:43 PM »
If it can't be welded or sewn I'm pretty stuck