Author Topic: New Borgward!  (Read 5296 times)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
New Borgward!
« on: March 03, 2015, 06:24:01 PM »
Geneva Motor Show. New Morgan as well:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31623830
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: New Borgward!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 09:12:04 AM »
I hate to be outmoded, but I prefer the old Borgward.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 09:32:38 AM »
Yes, me too.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 09:46:21 AM »
Get one, Bob. Great car, available at good prices as they tend to be undervalued outside the 10 odd people who are into them, unless you want a Isabella Coupe. Pity boring things like reality get in the way.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 10:09:48 AM »
It does seem a bit odd to resurrect a brand which is only known by a very small number of classic car enthusiasts !

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 10:20:11 AM »
But it is the family name. They were very good cars. The company never went bankrupt, as was reported at the time, so it was no failure but more of a stitch up. So no bad press that can stick really. The car, as the Isobella, exported well too. Why would a Borgward family member not use that name? Its more a Borgward than the drastically daft Buggatti was a Bug and no seemed to find that odd other than a few. What is slightly worrying is if the carry on with the girls names and it becomes the Borgward Debs or something. Mind you he could resurrect the name Golli......I think not. 

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 10:37:23 AM »
I have a soft spot for them as when I was a postie doing the rurals by van in 1975/6 one of my customers owned one, spanking in red! Lovely car. 

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 10:41:11 AM »
What I mean is that a "new" name in mass motoring will now face incredibly stiff competition from modern car buyers who have never heard the name. A few "new to us" Korean and Chinese brands (eg Ssanyung) have managed to get a few sales in UK, but this has been by good spec for money, and ultra-low price made possible by huge production "back home". Great to see the Borgward name again, but I'll bet it is unknown to most people under 50, and modern buyers have a lot of choice!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 11:42:08 AM »
Yes. Indeed it is hard to introduce a new brand. But so few of the old names are left free for even a whiff of some sort of history as the few conglomerate companies have the old brand names filed and protected. Some get a chance to reappear, like Mini - notice its not a Morris Mini, or even a BMW Mini, though. There was talk of a Riley sports car. MG has been relaunched a few times, and so on. So there is sense in it. However quite how much, remains to be seen.

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 11:46:03 AM »
It's an old brand, but the finance is coming from China.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"