Author Topic: washers and wipers  (Read 12250 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: washers and wipers
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 06:32:04 PM »
surely whats necessary for an MOT and whats a legal requirement are not the same thing are they ? that form says an awful lot !! we really needed page 26 as well . None of this addresses an older vehicle . It has to be able to fold away from screen ! a certain speed !! some old ones are painfully slow till they warm up ooh eck  :-\ 
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 06:35:18 PM »
This is my motor , 2 1/2" tall and 3 1/2" wide

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 07:02:23 PM »
What's the top of the screen like bob ? Does it need an mot or exempt ?

Its like this. There is not a lot of room and if in the future I go for a hood any motor going through it would foul the hood I think.

The car is MOT exempt.
Bare in mind when looking at the photo, the windscreen rubber takes up a lot of the width of that flat area.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 07:04:22 PM by Bob Purton »

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 07:49:43 PM »
I think I wouldn't bother with a wiper then , can't imagine your going to take it out in rain any way , or make a manual one for the top of the screen , or even a fake one if your worried about Mr police man , just to make it look right

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 08:08:19 PM »
oh and that sheet did say "automatic " so not hand then . My point was that there are rules quite seperate from MOT'S and what are they ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 08:12:27 PM »
I think I will stick to my original plan and fit a manual wiper through the botton corner of the screen surround in between those two rubbers.
 Als motor and lever under the dash would work if there were room, there is a bonded plywood stiffener under there which gets in the way of most things. Will have to stick my head under and access the situation.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 09:53:23 PM by Bob Purton »

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 08:02:54 PM »
I know it may seem a bit leftfield, but if you only want a slow wiper, how about using a radio control servo. It's fairly easy to link that to a small microcontroller, so that it will sweep back and forth at a certain rate, and the unit's are tiny so can easily be tucked away. Self parking too.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2015, 10:49:19 PM »
HI Andy. I have no idea what a radio control servo is or a micro controler for that matter. I have used all period parts so far with the exception of an electric fuel valve. Do I want any fancy electronics? Not if I can help it. Maybe as a last resort.
 I'm still curious to know what they are though.

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 08:47:09 AM »
A servo is a geared motor with positional feedback. Radio control or hobby servos can operate over a 180 degree arc with a pulse width signal. A micro controller is basically a computer on a chip. They're in everything these days.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 10:20:55 AM »
Are any of these innovations standing at the next election? Its either that or UKIP!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 04:22:30 PM »
Do what, Al?
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2015, 07:45:30 PM »
Radio controlled MPs. Got to be a better way to run the thing, and cheaper. This technology used to be expensive and unobtainable. Now it is pretty accessible. If your over a certain age it is truly remarkable.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 08:07:04 PM »
No doubt they'd be equipped with 'whip' aerials.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2015, 07:51:00 AM »
UKIP's scale model of the British Empire could be interesting. Pity the David Millipede, so many legs, but it still cannot stand up.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2015, 02:15:03 PM »
Well, as you can see I took the plunge and fitted the manual wiper. It works well, has intermittent wipe, multi speeds and can seat in any position I desire. Also has no drain on the electrical system!  I dont understand why all wipers are not like this! ;D