Author Topic: old cars and bald tyres  (Read 12672 times)

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
Re: old cars and bald tyres
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 05:42:49 PM »
Construction and Use Regs set out what you can and can't mix:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/cy/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/26/made?view=plain

As I read that, you can't have radials at the front and crossply at the rear, irrespective of front or rear wheel drive, and for rear wheel drive, you can't mix at all!

The Regs refer to "vehicles" and make clear, in the introductory part of 26.(2), that three-wheelers are treated in the same way.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 08:40:00 PM »
Thanks for posting that Dave. Looks like I'm still ok with my radials on all three wheels then.

skootashaun

• Chatty
yup yup rabbit yup yup yup rabbit rabbit bunny jabber yup rabbit bunny yup yup yup rabbit bunny jabber yup yup yup rabbit bunny jabber yup yup bunny jabber rabbit

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2015, 11:15:09 PM »
Thanks Shaun.  It would appear plasman is wrong then.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2015, 07:31:31 AM »
When is he wrong? I can think of 8 classes that a threewheeler wheelplan can be, and of 4 changes to the laws covering at least some of them. Now you could argue he should prove his point. However, he can argue that you should prove him wrong, as if he is right, even in part, then you might be braking the law.
Bit like all these young 'uns towing with vans without a Tacho, or driving overweight vehicles, placing them in a class that they are unqualified for. I am lucky. I have full old fogey rights backed by action to retain several classes most seem not to have noticed need a special qualification for now, like buses with passengers.
I fear a full answer is a bit more complex than currently presented.

Most production vehicles will have a specification that states the correct tyres to use. Needless to say all those who are ignoring these recommendations will have told their insurer that they have modified their car........
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2015, 08:39:31 AM »
I'm referring to the statement "the 875 is the only legal three wheeler with radials." This to me infers that any three wheeler other than said cannot use radials at all and the legal statements along with the mot testers guide lines do not appear to suggest this. I'm not contending anything else, just that point. I am probably taking it out of context but until plasman signs back on and picks up the thread we will not know.
I have a recollection of Steve taking his Reliant Ant for the MOT with a radial on the front and crossply's on the back and it failing for this reason. I think it was ok the otherway around. I'm guessing this is what our friend is referring to.

I again sight the Grinnell Scorpion, type approved and sold new with radials.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 08:55:06 AM by Bob Purton »

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2015, 09:09:37 AM »

Reading the MoT guidelines helps me understand the Construction & Use Regs better.  I'd read the C&U para (4) to mean that steered tyres and driven tyres must match in construction.  However, the MoT guidelines are clearer, and I now see it as all driven tyres must match, and all steered tyres must match. Not easy, is it!

That does make sense, though, as you'd want those driving and steering forces to be properly balanced, so's not to induce skidding?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2015, 09:17:24 AM »
I do not understand quite what he means either. But everyone is assuming a three wheeler is a type of vehicle. It isn't, is what I am saying. So you need to know what you are comparing with what.

A loaded Reliant Ant, up to half a ton, depending on specs - probably including tyre recommendation, is not in the provisional driving category. So unless the 875 is overweight they are not the same. A comparison cannot be made. Without specs I do not know the weight of an unloaded Ant, so I do not know who can drive it, in that condition. From the off Reliant flirted with the weight limit, and if we get down to it, most are illegal in use, without a full licence. It has just been the case that the letter of the law has not been applied, as in the two other cases I mentioned previously. Indeed micronauts should be angry about that, as the opposition was able to gain unfair advantage, by not sticking to the rules. Its water under the bridge now, and Reliants themselves have become an endangered species.   
A Scammel Scarab is a three wheeler. Most are not classed as such. They can be locomotives, thus allowing them to tow more than one trailer on the highways. I can drive one. I do not think most people under about 48 can. I am willing to bet a Scarab that is a locomotive, has a different spec to one that is not.

Might be fun to invite DVLA/VOSA inspectors to the National to see how many folk are illegal. We have not even touched trailers yet! Ignorance is bliss, to be honest. I am happy to leave cars standard unless I research a way to advance them that genuinely looks like an improvement worth the effort. That has become more sharply compared to other options outside microcars, as values have harmonised with other options for transportation.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2015, 01:04:57 PM »
Thats one way to reduce the attendance at the National!

super-se7en (Malc Dudley)

• Quite Chatty
  • Two Frisky sports
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2015, 02:56:39 PM »
If the DVLA turn up at the national i will charge them £5000 to come in then only allow them into the next field!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2015, 03:42:46 PM »
surely even thats a bit close for comfort  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2015, 05:00:16 PM »
talk of young uns driving without tachos - you must have been thinking of me  :) When I borrowed by brothers 71/2 tonner this was considered . Although not an HGV the regular drivers needed to take a course and obviously use a tachogram BUT this all seems to revolve around  " monetary gain  ". The driver told me that an example had been used on the course that if he had been driving in his own time for no monetary gain , for example to collect a car for himself he was okay without the tacho . As I assured by brothers that I was sure to make no monetary gain the tacho was removed . Myself and Micros do not normally make financial gain !!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 06:38:35 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2015, 01:11:38 AM »
That seems so, Richard. Likewise bus passengers, un-paying, are different to bus passengers paying for the driving licensing as an old fogey. The PSV rules supersede some of the older stuff. maybe we should fit Phealius Fogg Tachos instead.

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2015, 03:47:31 PM »
just had the Wagon R in for MOT , and back home noticed the tester had marked all the tyres sizes and dot numbers in yellow marker , some thing new ???