Author Topic: My Replica Peel Trident  (Read 12546 times)

Michael

• Chatty
My Replica Peel Trident
« on: March 14, 2015, 06:45:21 PM »
Sorry, but copying Steve Frisk, here is my replica Trident that I brought last week and picked up today.

After three hour drive to Notti I was not coming back with out it. (See picture)  :D

It will not be started for a while as finishing other projects and build up,parts stock for this.

Advice always welcomed.

Thanks Michael

« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 06:47:45 PM by Michael »
Locost self build car.
3 Mk1 Raleigh Choppers, 2 Mk2 Raleigh Choppers
Mk2 Raleigh Chopper Tandem
Sinclair C5 Restored
Austin J40 Pedal Car to restore
Peel Trident Replica to build

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
Re: My Replica Peel Trident
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 11:44:13 PM »
Well done mate , love that sticking out the back of a car! I can list all the parts im going to use on my one but it doesn't mean it's the right or wrong way of doing it, it depends what your plans are with it really , all this lot on the forum are a good bunch , Steven in America will be keen to see this to

Michael

• Chatty
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 09:30:14 AM »
Thanks Steve.

Will be going close to original as I can, but with modern twist for MSVA.

Next project with be storage frame as from the picture you will see I have no room to move at the moment and its sitting where i have the only room to work on my bikes and other projects.
Locost self build car.
Sinclair C5 Restored

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 12:42:28 PM »
Take a picture of the underneath , because if it's a bamby mould the front part of my p50 bolts straight on , 50cc moped with a rear disc ,  new bike to avoid q plate , all wiring from the bike , acewell speedo , easiest way I think but no where near original , the others are probably getting annoyed with this but if you want the seats trimmed I can do that for you

Michael

• Chatty
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 01:03:45 PM »
The guy I brought it from, used someone's mould and did all the grp himself.

I have not had a chance of getting to look underneath, but will once it's up in the roof space, but that's going to be a week or two yet.

Just been going through MSVA manual which I have downloaded as working out lights, demisting etc.

Is that true I could used a registered bike? I'm working on the basis from my Locost days and even though I had engine, box and rear axle from one car I got a Q plate.
Locost self build car.
Sinclair C5 Restored

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 02:14:36 PM »
The lights are 4 1/2" chrome dominator head lights off eBay which are e marked, I've got a feeling you got your shell off the bloke who makes them for peel engineering, I've not put a car through msva or sva , the research I've done and people ive spoke to about it just doesn't make sense , it seems what ever you make has to seem like new condition with reconditioned parts and receipts, to get an existing number plate seems to be how the tester feels on the day so pretty grey area , the bike you use has to be new and unregistered for the best chance of non q plate , a q plate doesn't really bother me

Michael

• Chatty
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 02:24:23 PM »
DVLA give the plate and vin number so didn't really bother me on the Q plate.

SVA did all the other tests, so I have gone through five hours testing with the Locost, speedo, mirror field, weighed, then brake tested it was fun.

From what I can see the Trident does not need a seat belt due to its unladen light weight, but then again where would you anchor them? It's all fibreglass.

Will work on this more as the time comes.

The place I got it from build MEV. There was at least one I saw, plus smart cars.
Locost self build car.
Sinclair C5 Restored

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 02:39:12 PM »
It doesn't need seat belts, fibreglass is strong if done well and with a steel backing will be fine but if there's an issue when driving the car you will get squashed before you hit the steering wheel so depends how you feel about it ,  the demister doesn't need to be emarked but them rubbish ones off eBay for a 10er will pass , if you google qpods you will see how they mounted there demisters

Michael

• Chatty
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 02:47:01 PM »
Yes ebay ones are bulky, just been thinking computer fan and ceramic heater element with some ducting then can use to cool too and utilise the front vent of the Trident.

Will go and look at qpod.

Locost self build car.
Sinclair C5 Restored

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 10:32:51 AM »
Well done mate , love that sticking out the back of a car! I can list all the parts im going to use on my one but it doesn't mean it's the right or wrong way of doing it, it depends what your plans are with it really , all this lot on the forum are a good bunch , Steven in America will be keen to see this to

Bit like a snake engulfing prey near its own size.
Yes I will be watching closely as a matter of interest, but have decided to further encumber myself by making some period correct appearing mods of outwardly viewable structure, whilst delving deeper into the Skunk Works box for more serious modifications of internal mechanisms that will allow for significantly better handling and performance.

I waited the requisite 10 months for Andy to build a high quality monocoquoe with deeper ribbing in the area of the engine compartment to support the greater power of my intended powerplant.
I also bought his metal kit, which includes original spec front suspension pieces for me to use as a starting point for my ambitious, and necessarily very unconventional take on a fully independent unequal length double A arm suspension up front.  This being done to prevent the excessive changes in wheel camber imposed by the original swing arm set up.

I also intend to experiment with a narrow set, differentialess dual rear wheel set up to improve stability of tracking and provide greater resistance to roll over.  Clearly the body was made wide enough back there to indicate that at least somebody in the design department of the original Peel Engineering had an open mind to this also. 

On the back burner for now though as I am busy rebuilding my recently acquired barn, and rounding up Flippers.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:34:43 AM by steven mandell »

Michael

• Chatty
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 08:01:56 PM »
Some picutures of the underside, as had a measure up to make a frame ready for storage.
Locost self build car.
Sinclair C5 Restored

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 10:38:29 PM »
That's a modern design shell , U can put loads of different engines in that

Michael

• Chatty
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 07:01:58 PM »
Modern design? Like a peel engineering one?

I had a response from the company I found on Google for the dome. They do not make and said I have to enquire direct from Peel Engineering.

Off to email now.
Locost self build car.
Sinclair C5 Restored

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 08:54:29 PM »
The original to the best of my knowledge had abit of a parcel shelf to it in the engine bay closing it in

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 12:22:47 AM »
Why do I think of an automotive version of a horseshoe crab? As Steve says there is room to fit in a set up with twin rear wheels and a more powerful engine. Quite how radical you could get is a moot point.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs