Author Topic: Events list 2015  (Read 9348 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Events list 2015
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 05:20:15 PM »
I have to say, the two day rumcars celebration event we had a few years ago was the most enjoyable rally I think I have ever attended. It would be great to do that again one year.

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 06:46:09 PM »
Unfortunately, Chris is too busy to under take the organisation this year and I am not a lot of help these days.  Steve Fisk who is attempting to sort out a Working Party to prepare the Collection  before the beginning of the season is not getting very much response unfortunately.  We do need some more local enthusiasts to help beforehand if we are to keep up even the one day Open Days, trying to do everything the weekend before the event is really not the answer.  We have the venue and the cars but  not the manpower!  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2015, 08:34:55 AM »
To my mind, Bob, the local show is something of a substitute for there not being a suitable Microcar event on. The fact it is local does offer the chance to drive the car under its own power to attend, but such is the general standard and density of driving these days I fear that many a micronaut will have reduced the range they are prepared to drive the old car, unsupported. So the drive out is really getting to and from the rally. In a local show your driving event is reduced to a possible trip around the ring and substituted into the traditional sideshows of bowling for a pig, welly whanging and such. My problem here is many of these events have introduced a charge to enter, be it a booking fee, what ever. I refuse to pay as I already built the car, drove it there and paid to insure it while on show. I am providing an exhibit for which the organiser gains entrance money. The deal is I turn up early enough, I do not leave till a reasonable time. By all means charge the fair-weather gang who pop in for lunch.

It is, though, true that local shows are benefiting from more various Microcars attending than was the case years ago.

I am interested that this discussion topic has not gained much comment. It confirms my belief that the majority of owners of Microcars are not really greatly interested in attending events any more. Sure if its conveniently located, or there is a primary reason to be there, like swapping a car/some parts over, at a mutually handy rendezvous. We are in the era of the collector, not the enthusiast. Collecting is a self serving activity, the enthusiast is in for a full exposure to the essence of the thing. It is by and large the enthusiasts that keep things going. Maybe the BOC are right as they attract the enthusiasts to their private events, rather trimming the numbers of collectors turning up, as the commitment is not there to remain in touch with what is going on. The difficulty in gaining help to do the things needed on the ground suggests fewer enthusiasts and organiser types - or that they are spread to thin. 
Age is the other issue. I do not know the reasons but one reliable enthusiast from far London has attended possibly every Bath Rally up until a year or so ago, quite often driving one of his cars under its own power the possible 150 miles. He has been missed. Is it the traffic, health, creaks and groans? Anyway he has missed. Bath has a good record of cars driven to it, but its hard to keep this up. I think it is one reason Bath remains a success though, its those who come in from further afield that make the event, not the much lazier locals.

Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2015, 04:12:22 PM »
the last local rally I made attendance (booked in months beforehand) , left the car to go auto jumbling , on return to find a Asian guy and his two sons sitting in the Bond and playing with the controls  , upon confrontation he demanded he paid entrance to the rally and was entitled to admission to vehicles on site . The car is for my enjoyment and no rally's have been attended since .

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 04:46:39 PM »
Yes, this happened many years back at a local do, when we used to turn up mob handed with the Simpsons often in the lead. You could have 10 cars micros driving to a local show. Same argument from the family. Gary, about the lightest of our lot, whose car was now coated with ice cream and having a mirror hanging of it responded by making sure the father measured his length. They scuttled off to return with a Policeman. He in turn was met by 30 odd classic car owners who said they had seen nothing and the guy was a trouble maker and best chuck him out. The Copper new the story but had his hand rather forced. The organizer washed his hands of the affair.

That occasion, someone stubbing out a cigarette on the middle of Mick's new dome, and some yobbos lifting up the back of Johnners car as he was about to enter the ring, that put us off going to these events. Unless your with classic car people on mass the public tend to have a very lax view of what they can do and the damage they can cause without censure. Its either that or someone has to stay with the cars to look after them - Ray Simpson was good at that. It does not help that your not allowed to smack ignorant pratts in the gob when they need telling in the only way they understand, hands off.

I do very few local shows, and only ones where there will be monitoring of the cars, or its a car based do. It is also why I am not in favour of public at Microcar Rallies. It normally ends in tears for someone. One reason I skipped Cardiff, after 'Catheter' Castle saw badge thefts. Hatten is slightly exposed but should be OK. Unless of course you want to sit by your car all day doing sod all, probably in a campervan. Might as well have stationary engines! Arrrgh! .......Mmm.... Bolens Q17, need a sit on mower. Modern ones are so boring and it would go with my 1960 Bolens. I could so easily start collecting GTs. That is nearly a stationary engine. 
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 09:07:17 PM »
My goodness, you guys must live in very rough areas! The events I attend in Essex are always yob free! Never had any incidents like that at all.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 08:27:27 AM »
In context, I would put public interference with cars on show at a level of about 5% of shows I have been to, including Bristol Classic Car Show and similar. Numerous times folk have come back to the stand, or turned round, to find a bloke (not always the same one) attempting to wrench the steering wheel out of a Trojan, to prove his contention that it is, in fact, an Isetta. This to a partner who probably is not greatly interested in what it is, but wished it would go away, and would rather have new curtains or something. The more big mouth is being proven wrong, the more he attempts to be proven right. Huge badges with Trojan written on them are as meaningless as facts. Messerschmitt cockpits, dead Isetta drivers, we've heard them all. They mix the cars up and get upset when you cannot sit in the back of the Isetta or the front of a Schmitt does not fall off on cammand, as its an Isetta and they had one so they know. These might be the minority, but they do my head in, and I can only take about an hour's worth of this, with the 'What is it worth, How fast does it go, You do not need a licence to drive it' merchants. Ray, Wynford and others who stand firm at the continued attack of the Queens 3rd rate Ignorant Infantry have my deepest respect. I do not know how you do it for two days without strangling someone!
So there is the prob. We would park our cars and get ourselves down the beer tent for a couple of shandys before these idiots turned up. Sometimes that would leave only Mr Octogenarian behind his Austin with his charming wife, picnic hamper, table and chairs. These kind souls were not always rude enough to keep the riff raff away. But always ply them with a WI cake as they are worth it.

As an aside, for some while Swindon had the unfortunate record as the town with the most hired murders, at about this time we were doing events. Now I would actually suggest Swindon had the highest number of not very good hired murders, on the basis that they got caught. So Essex has no real claim to be numbty capital of Britain. It just fits well, Bob ;D.