Author Topic: Aldi air compressors  (Read 5683 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Aldi air compressors
« on: April 12, 2015, 12:33:17 AM »
Looking for a reasonable price compressor to run a spray gun and been told of a compressor sold by Aldi with all tools at a good price . Does anyone have anyone experience of it and is it still available ? Thanks
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Aldi air compressors
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 07:47:15 AM »
No great painter of cars but it seems that the important things are a good water trap, as the act of compressing the air makes it wetter. Water condenses out and liquids do not compress. Water in the paint is a chief cause of micro-blistering. Secondly a good large reserve chamber. That is not to say the champer has to be attached to the compressor. So a broken bigger compressor can donate its pressure vessel to a more compact pump for spraying, so giving an even pressure through the gun. Of course a small compressor will have to be given time to catch up after each stroke. So even the old Hummingbird could be used to create a good finish. Its how you use it.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 08:35:51 AM »
A friend of mine bought the Aldi's compressor and gun. He said it represented outstanding value. I think with Aldi's and Lidl's alike, there stock is very inconsistent, you have to grab the bargains when they are in.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 09:01:41 AM »
Thanks . Did your friend use it for spraying ? I gather capacity is the problem but I cannot justify a huge tank on space taken up or financial grounds but the job needs doing.
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 09:03:47 AM »
Hook up an old fire extinguisher as a tank. 

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 09:21:41 AM »
Are there any firms up your way that hire vehicle spraying gear?
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 09:28:52 AM »
I have been wondering that , but do they ? It might be returned in awful condition ? I have bought for.£50 a 6m x 3m garden gazebo as a temporary spray booth - but that's not going to keep the noise muffled from the neighbours  ;) thanks all for the suggestions I will look it all up

Michael

• Chatty
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 10:09:57 AM »
For running a gun a small tank is not that much of an issue.

We have a larger compressor dad brought and used for spraying and the tank volume was as such that the compressor only had to run a few times.

I have my air tools from my dads as a technician and find the capacity can be a little small from time to time, but was using a deburring tool so continuously needed a high volume of air.

Regarding traps ours is on the outlet of the tank, but from other forums I beentold it should be closest to the gun as can get moisture in the hose.

If it comes with a coiled air hose I would get yourself a non coiled air hose otherwise you'll be continuously feeling like your being bungeed'd back to the compressor and restricts the freedom when spray painting.

My spray painting is currently rattle can experience, but have tried doing tyre pressures on a coiled air line, so that's where my experience of them comes from.
Locost self build car.
3 Mk1 Raleigh Choppers, 2 Mk2 Raleigh Choppers
Mk2 Raleigh Chopper Tandem
Sinclair C5 Restored
Austin J40 Pedal Car to restore
Peel Trident Replica to build

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 12:51:01 PM »
The one's I saw them selling the other day are twin pot jobs, so should have a decent cfm rating, certainly more than up to the job of running a spray gun and or the odd air tool.

Got a few Aldi tools, and they're great value for money.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 12:59:39 PM »
Thanks . Did your friend use it for spraying ? I gather capacity is the problem but I cannot justify a huge tank on space taken up or financial grounds but the job needs doing.

Yes, he sprayed one of those old Austin pedal cars with it and it went well. As your Bond will not be that much bigger[certainly not faster ;D]  you should be ok.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 05:35:55 PM »
Seriously not just saying it but I will try and paint all my cars myself in cellulose . It won't be pretty  ;) but it will be the look I Am after  :)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 06:15:22 PM »
Well no matter how badly you do it at least you can flat and polish thus get a reasonable result.  Is any of this painting imminent?

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 06:28:39 PM »
Cellulose can look really nice. The snag with it is that it works out more expensive in materials, because it shrinks back so much, so you need more coats to build up the finish, and it needs constant attention to maintain its lustre.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 06:37:00 PM »
Maybe , but it looks far more correct on a period car and that's what I am after . These cars of mine would not have been turned out new anything like most restorations .