Author Topic: BOND D week 5  (Read 17126 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
BOND D week 5
« on: April 19, 2015, 05:59:12 PM »
unable to even reach the Gordon I have had some fun in the sun  :) I have roof rail parts from AT LEAST two cars ( not necessarily Bond D )so the idea was to try and assemble what I could of the bits to resemble one set . I know there is at least one hood rail missing which cannot help , but by grinding and drilling rivets I came up with something that resembles the basis of one set .I had started by painting one set blue and one set white and leaving a few bits plain so that I knew what was what  ;) I know at the end of it all that all the steelwork will be scrap as it rotten but at least I will have something to copy in new steel  :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 06:03:56 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: BOND D week 5
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 06:50:43 PM »
Good idea to colour code the parts, always to know exactly what you started from in case you ever need to go back for reference.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 07:38:01 PM »
yep that was the idea Marcus , and lots of photos  ;) there are the two main cross hood rails and a load of different steels with inward ,outward,backward and forward bends - all great fun  :)
I know Malcolm has just completed a lovely Bond D restoration but someone else was too , who was it ? and does anyone have any photos to compare . On the Bond G the two main hood rails are of different heights so that when folded down one is within the curve of the other . I think these D ones are the same height as each other but am not sure . 
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 12:23:55 AM »
Hope these pictures of D tourer hoods might help a little.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 11:21:42 AM »
Rails only would be better ? Thanks

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 02:48:41 PM »
I just realised I only posted one of the two pics - never taken any detail ones as obviously a tourer hood is quite different to mine.
Malcolm

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 08:55:35 PM »
Quite different hmmm ? It's mounted on the same points and reaches the same screen at the front so I would have thought the second , rear rail must have longer legs to give height further back but otherwise be the same ? It's funny with my projects bruetsch Pfeil, Bond A , Gordon and now Bond D people must have been there before but. There is never any note taken for the future . Wouldn't it just be easier if we made notes for others - in my case I will try and remedy this  :) when I have finalised a set of rotten bits I will replicate it and give the old one back to the club so that others can us it in future .But these are the challenges I enjoy but take a lot of time to sort out
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 09:18:50 PM by richard »

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 03:51:06 PM »
re- hood frame , the folding/bendy bits differs above the side screen , as I used the family one to made do , but as the hood as been on some 40 years its now took a set , its not much but the hood canopy has a 'V' (don't know rag trade name !) sewn in to keep it in shape . The family frame can be modified to fit the 2 seater (wont call it a tourer cos' Bonds didn't ) , don't alter unless you have the hood first ?

will post some photos .

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 08:00:39 PM »
thanks very much your help appreciated  :)

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 02:56:34 PM »
some hood frame picky's , also where the dart (that's the rag trade name !!!)  is maybe I did right by leaving alone as for when I was a Morecambe 2002/3 vintage there was a couple of cars that had hoods with the sewing around the frame/dart area looking worse for use .
from the photo's you can judge how far the 2 and family frame differs .

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 12:47:16 PM »
Hi again made a few more bits up , pics to follow, could you tell me when the hood is down does one hood rail fit within the curve of the other or do they fold down on top ? Exactly or ..... And the front rail must have arms coming back to meet the rest how long at the " arms " coming back from the front rail - mine must be broken off . All of this only if you could manage some time . Thanks again

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 03:06:32 PM »
I'll drag the car out in a day or so and do some pictures , never thought about mine been as per the book  :o - mainly it worked , went up and down and kept the rain off  ;D

good luck with your project  ..  Alan

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 08:24:09 PM »
well on a glorious Bank Holiday Monday I had another go at assembling some of the roof pieces , all cobbled together to copy in new steel one day  :) this is where I got to -

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 08:55:32 PM »
when upended there was even less left of the steel reinforcers , to the ally floor , than I thought . In one place as the main floor support had rotted away it had been "strengthened " with wood  ;D and I may end up having to replace the floor even , eeks
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 01:38:22 PM by richard »

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 12:17:32 AM »
It's always difficult to tell from photos, but your floor looks a lot more solid than mine was. Think that flexitor might be past it though.
Malcolm