Author Topic: BOND D week 5  (Read 17132 times)

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Re: BOND D week 5
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2015, 01:26:59 PM »
Well, for anyone considering replacing the floor, you need to use much larger blind rivets (or several more - I was told something like 5 to 3) to replace the cold rivets to maintain the same strength in the join.  Like plas man. my hood frame has nuts and bolts with the ends peened over rather than rivets. What you really need is something like an anvil to support the head while you set and form the other end - I never tried setting a solid steel rivet, but even large alloy ones need quite a thump. Have a few practice goes before you try the real thing.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2015, 01:58:41 PM »
back to the floor , I have never experienced corrosion of alloy/steel - even when using the D in pre marital days and the G as the family came along , remember I only live within 1/4 mile from the sea front and get a lot of salt air , when the D was re-built I replaced the rear steel bits using full length galvanised [ channel this was pop riveted to the floor with a product called Sega Mastic  sandwiched between . Also the underside has always been well coated with Waxoyl  , their own underseal with Waxoyl painted on top annually .

within next days will take the ruler/tape to the hood frame .

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2015, 03:33:45 PM »
You won't get corrosion if the metals are kept separated by either a sealant or oil coating.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2015, 03:44:07 PM »
I think it's a combination of that little bit of care and maintenance at the right time over the years and robust repairs when they were needed, not sure many Bonds got that sort of treatment in the 1960s and beyond. Mine had something like Waxoyl painted over the bottom at least once in it's life, but the damage suggests it was applied a little bit late in the day, bit like painting over rust patches on steel and hoping if you can't see them they'll go away.
Malcolm

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2015, 04:29:40 PM »
One of the best tutorials I've ever seen on metalworking is by Dave Gardner. He did a series in Practical Classics years ago, and I remembered it because the techniques he showed didn't use fancy tools, but the results were excellent. When I saw he'd done a DVD, I got it. http://metalshapingzone.com/

One of the things he shown on the DVD is making a new door skin for an Aston Martin. These were aluminium on skin on a steel frame, and the originals had corroded where the two metals met. He explains a lack of sealant caused this.

1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2015, 04:34:23 PM »
Well I do hope those that thought it was another boring Bond topic from Richard have stuck with it . Very useful and informative and from my point of view is what the historical side of the forum excels at , Al is invaluable on technical matters  . Great stuff for the oldies  ;) , cars I mean  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Basket case

• Chatty
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2015, 09:03:03 PM »
Hi Richard, sent you a message - not sure if it was sent or not? I find this site hard to use - difficult to post pics, check sent messages etc....( or is it just me??).

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2015, 10:25:11 PM »
No, it's not just you, bc: I can get to messages I've received, but have never managed to find out how to get to those that I've sent, when I need to re-read them!

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2015, 07:28:35 AM »
Sounds like you need to modify the message preferences.

Click on messages. Then click on 'preferences', then in the drop down box 'change settings'. Click the box where it says save a copy of messages to my sent folder.

1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2015, 07:32:49 AM »
Ah, that makes sense. Thank you, Andy!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2015, 06:10:20 PM »
a rare free afternoon brought a little more progress on the Bond D . Final removal of the remaining bits of floor strengtheners showed that they had done anything but to the rear floor ................. I eventually managed to grind off all the seized bolts and then didnt know where i was going next
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 11:46:58 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2015, 07:04:24 PM »
It looks like the major corrosion is limited to the rear of the pan.

Could you not just have a rear section from the rear arms back tig welded in? Would save a lot of rivetting, and a competent welder should be able to minimize any shrinkage distortion from the welding process.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2015, 07:09:02 PM »
been there , not as bad as it looks   :-[ , on replacement go full length of the car floor it will help support the seat area and prevent floor to side's splitting .

with the price of alloy scrap dont leave it there too long , or scrappy will have it away   >:(

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2015, 07:45:44 PM »
Your floor does looks plenty solid enough to patch up. Car looks like it's auditioning for the next Transformers movie in the second picture.
Malcolm

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2015, 11:45:36 PM »
To this , now our dinner guests have departed ,my wife Karen adds, "transformers - robots  in disguise " whatever that means ? The position of the car shows what happens when you remove all the fixing bolts and the front end is only supported by a wiring harness
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 09:20:33 AM by richard »