Author Topic: A Fawlty Moment  (Read 4002 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
A Fawlty Moment
« on: April 27, 2015, 10:11:46 PM »
my wife and I together with two friends entered the Wirral Classic Car Club treasure hunt this last weekend , I have just recently rejoined . As you can guess we were in a "modern" as were another couple .Some of  the entries just off the top of my head were a 60's mini,an A35, 1920's Rolls , early 70's Rover, two drophead E types, Austin 12, Austin Cambridge , Hillman Hunter,RoverP6,Jaguar xj6, MGB , Mini engine Berkeley  and , my fave, a beautifully authentic early 60's Land Rover breakdown truck with great signwriting . all good fun and we were entered under our own names i.e. Richard Warren  , for some reason at the end when we handed in our sheet we thought we needed a team name so quickly invented The Meols( where we live ) 4 . well when we went up to the table with our sheet we were asked NAME ? we said Meols 4 and this was completely misunderstood with hilarious repercussions as when results were given we were listed as Mr. a Mrs. Mellsfore and guests !! we wanted to correct them and tell them we spell our name Mellsffawr , anyway I think the name will stick !! Richard Mellsffawr   
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 10:16:04 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: A Fawlty Moment
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 10:19:26 PM »
Mellsffawr looks pretty Welsh to me!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 10:44:34 PM »
Well I bet it doesn't to a Welshman , strangely at least half the run was along the Wirral coast line looking across to Wales on the opposite side of the Dee Estuary . There's a lovely campsite nearby  ;) It was a beautiful day
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 08:26:18 AM »
This was part of Drive It Day, I assume. Really good idea thar is stimulating some good and growing events.

Bad news for the Mellsffawr, is the less friendly Mellsbach.
Though the adventures of Mr Mellsffawr and the Welsh Bond sound like they might be worth waiting for.  A sort of Ivor the Engine with Villiers, the Brummy seizure Dragon and his catchphrase.
'That's a bit cowing hot, yaw know'.
The only Dragons who has aluminium scales, so light and not quite as hot as most. Got a Spanish girlfriend Scuter.
A new starring roll for the Smash Robot, as a DJ? Radio Wirral, with Smashie.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 01:21:52 PM »
The treasure hunts been going for years , way before drive it , this year they timed to coincide I think . Rejoined in the hope that networking may find me some local contacts for fabricating/ welding etc. all mine have dropped of the perch - an ongoing problem . I often think of Bobs quip re whether my Pfeil tyres would perish before or after me  ?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 02:21:29 PM »
I know the same problem here. The world turned. All old contacts not available for various reasons.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 12:01:24 AM by Big Al »
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 08:53:15 PM »
Age or boredom?  ;D
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 10:20:56 PM »
?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 12:04:03 AM »
Clipboards, nieghbours, taxman, moved out of the country, retired and, possibly the best excuse, dead. Most are now aged and bored.

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 10:57:03 AM »
Most are now aged and bored.

Yer, I get the drill.
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.