Author Topic: tesla motors  (Read 1892 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
tesla motors
« on: April 23, 2015, 03:38:06 PM »
Just returned home from a visit to a customer of mine in the film business and he was showing off his new Tesla model S electric car to me.
Now anyone who still has an image of electric cars being slow and milk float like, a spin in a Tesla will soon change your mind. My first observation was that it's dimensions are huge as one would expect for the American market. I jumped at an offer of a ride around Park Royal in it. The second observation was that I had to peel myself off of the seat back! The acceleration is phenomenal and quite unexpected for a such a large car, also doing this in total silence! The dash is like the starship enterprise with a computer monitor bigger than the one I have in my office.
I was so impressed I was speachless, well that was up until he pointed out that it had regenerative braking to which I smugly replied Oh my G-wiz has that, thats old technology! ;D

http://www.teslamotors.com/en_GB/models

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: tesla motors
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 04:00:45 PM »
Sounds great and it looks like a semi-practical car, rather than a 2 seater sports car like the previous model.
Acceleration/smooth power delivery have never really been a problem for electric power (see electric trains!). In fact, in the early days of motoring electric cars were far faster and better accelerating than petrol...a French racing car (Jamais Contente?) did 60 mph when petrol cars could barely get to 20 or 30!

The real tricky thing is getting enough power available in a "portable" format, how long the power is available, and how/where you top up the power.

Personally I have heard of electric cars being on the horizon for most of my life and come to be sceptical. However, I do now think the tide is going to turn soon.

The big problem will be high casualty rates on the roads: all the pedestrians who insist on walking in the roads will never hear death approaching! 15 minutes ago I was driving two people to the Tube and a young woman stepped out right in front of me staring at her phone, and last time I drove to Squeak's a woman walked into the side of my car as I passed!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 06:14:43 PM »
I know what you mean about all the electric prototypes and promises over the years but right now most of the major world car makers are making at least one model of EV so the tide has already turned. If drivers embrace them the technology will continue to develop. The main problem is the cost of the cars new. If more people could afford them then the range and charging issues would be overcome out of necessity. I'm not a fan of EV's over ICE cars but its nice to see them develop and also to have the choice.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 08:18:43 PM »
100% in favour of electric.
Horses for courses though.
One car for commuting every day (recharge at work)  up to 60 miles a day to be safe.
One car for long distance - or just hire one when you need it.

I think Renault have toyed with the idea of quick replacement battery packs - ready charged at fuel stations perhaps.
If you can change a battery as fast as filling with Petrol then you are half way there.
( I can predict the repose from the forum - 'what about people exchanging duff batteries etc. etc. etc. - any reason to be negative :) )

Electricity has both positives  and negatives - Lets focus on the positive and leave the impossible, (like flying to Australia or single Journey from London to Glasgow) to other forms of transport.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 08:29:15 PM »
But surely electric power is all about positives and negatives ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 09:26:34 PM »
I think the TESLA has a better chance taking off in the UK rather than the USA , at least initially, because of the shorter distances traveled.
That being said, I see them ALOT where I live (north of Chicago).

TESLA already has "supercharging" stations they are building where you can either charge over...maybe 30 minutes for FREE (and have some coffee or something in the shop), or pay whatever the equivalent is of a tank of "gas" to have the entire battery pack swapped out in about 90 seconds.
The swap is done robotically and from beneath.  Here is a video demo of them swapping out two TESLA battery packs in the time it took to fill an AUDI with petrol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE81S26XG8c

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 11:15:47 PM »
It'll be interesting to see how the battery swap plan pans out. Unless there is some other significant built-in redundancy in the car, you may only ever need to buy the one car. Tesla might want to look at what happened to the electric milk-float industry.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"