Author Topic: Early finish Friday  (Read 9706 times)

Mark Green

• Quite Chatty
Re: Early finish Friday
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 12:32:17 PM »
Border Biscuits Dark Chocolate Gingers? Will have to try these!  As for Hersey I keep looking for a wick to light, way to much wax.
1958 FriskySport

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 12:47:46 PM »
Just back from a bike ride to Greenwich, partly work, partly shopping, partly exercise and partly to see HMS Deaf Ender, one of the new Daring Class Destroyers with a huge steeply angled pyramid housing all the electronics. Oh alright then, HMS Defender.

I went through Surrey Docks, and there in the boat yard was a "Chocolate Boat", a Vertue, one of grandad's most successful designs and still being built. Lots of lovely varnished teak, will post a photo later if I can remember how to do it (my comp is not compatible with the photo posting on this forum!).

US chocolate often contains a fair amount of carob beans rather than cocoa beans. Cheap Carob can taste "muddy" Cheap carob, sugar and vegetable fat are all cheaper than cocoa and milk. The Caribbean is named after all the carob trees on its islands.

When I used to visit Texas for work I used to take loads of good chocolate: Green and Blacks, Lindt etc., and my US friends and colleagues used to devour it. I also took good beer over which they loved, but now at last there some good micro breweries over there.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 12:53:53 PM »
The Caribbean is named after all the carob trees on its islands.

Not quite:  the Caribbean is named after the Carib people who lived there. (I remember that, because it means it makes sense to pronounce it "ca-RIBB-ean", as the Americans do.   And that annoys me ...)

The carob grows mainly in the Mediterranean areas.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2015, 03:26:07 PM »
Oh, I was wrongly informed!

Here's a photo of the Vertue yacht:

She has her own website:

http://www.sumaraofweymouth.co.uk/sumara.html

During WW2 grandad worked for de Havilland and his wood forming skills were put to use on Mosquito, Hornet/Sea Hornet and Vampire.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2015, 05:34:02 PM »
Thats a lovely boat Marcus, you must be proud.
It made me smile about the Americans putting carobs in the chocolate, in the parable of the prodigal son, when destitute he desires the carob pods that he is feeding to the pigs!

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2015, 05:54:54 PM »
Dear Bob

Can we have less of the god squad stuff. This a secular motoring off topic lounge, for those who idolise small vehicles, and meet in their name, and talk about Icons of the motoring world.

Many thanks

Chris T

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2015, 06:21:37 PM »
If you had asked me I would have said Folkboat, but then that might be pure Scandinavian in design. A beautiful thing to own. I am not sure I remember the Virtue class. Must look it up.

Hershey bar. What a disappointment. I recall buying a round of these in Mannheim from an American/German stand. Most went in the bin. Utterly revolting. American food might be cheap, but most of it is inedible. About as welcome as their Corporate Nazi politics. Betjeman, Slough, need I say more, save Slough is more sophisticated. It quite put us off buying microcar parts for a spell.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2015, 06:55:58 PM »
Dear Bob

Can we have less of the god squad stuff. This a secular motoring off topic lounge, for those who idolise small vehicles, and meet in their name, and talk about Icons of the motoring world.

Many thanks

Chris T
For God sake..............

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2015, 07:20:43 PM »
Dear Bob

Many thanks

Chris T

It wasnt a theological comment Chris, just an observation that the stuff they put in Amercian choc bars is fed to the pigs in the middle east. Try and be a little less phobic..

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2015, 11:35:54 PM »
Dear Bob

Many thanks

Chris T

!!!  In that case, we'd better not resurrect this old topic then....   ;)

http://www.rumcars.org/forum/index.php?topic=1357.0

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2015, 08:31:11 AM »
Oh yeh, I had forgotten about that thread. I cannot tell a lie, it was Nick Davenport that started it! ;D
BTW I havnt seen or heard anything from Nick in a long while, does anyone know if he is ok?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2015, 08:51:34 AM »
Cadbury's Messiah Bar, returning by popular demand. Standard and Pig size. To be released after the Five Flavours of the Apocalypse Gummi Riders, alleged to be Lime, Lemon, Strawberry, Raspberry and Blackcurrent. Only natural ingredients, but sadly no Lime, Lemon, Strawberry, Raspberry or Blackcurrants. Also appearing for emetic fans, Barf Bar.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2015, 12:15:15 PM »
I actually have had Carob bars and when they don't pretend to be chocolate they are quite nice, but the ones I had were high quality.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2015, 01:33:43 PM »
Here's a very famous boat designed by my grandad, Blue Leopard. I remember seeing him working on the drawings and hull models in the early 1960s. There is a formula (Admiralty Rating) to determine the top speed of a mono-hull boat depending on waterline length, sail area or motor power. Blue Leopard was the first boat in the world to exceed the theoretical top speed, and it did it under sail and under power. During WW2 he also designed high speed coastal patrol and rescue boats. His drawings and models are in the National Maritime Museum archives.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 02:16:23 PM by marcus »

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2015, 01:52:55 PM »
Marcus, you say "here's", but I can't see any link or pic.

If you mean the Blue Leopard for sale in the link below, then that's one serious boat!

m.edmiston.com/luxury-yachts-for-sale/bl I includedue-leopard-1067/
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 01:55:08 PM by DaveMiller »