Author Topic: Petbows , Sandwich - Gordon , Birkenhead  (Read 2740 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Petbows , Sandwich - Gordon , Birkenhead
« on: April 28, 2015, 09:41:17 PM »
connection anyone ? John ?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 12:58:53 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Petbows Sandwich - Gordon , Birkenhead
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 10:47:23 PM »
 Yes there was. Petbows bought out the entire engineering side of Vernon Industries (and possibly the entire Vernon company full stop) in 1961 & closed the Merseyside factory down after transferring all assets to Sandwich.  Read all about it in my forthcoming Big Book of invalid carriages.....
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 10:53:49 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Petbows Sandwich - Gordon , Birkenhead e?
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 11:56:59 PM »
Is that a filler, or a whole slice of a chapter?

I was wondering if it ought to be called The Big Blue Book of Invalid Carriages. Like The Red Book of Westmarch, only different.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 06:10:14 AM »
Thanks Stuart that's the further info I was after , strange connection between Gordon's /Friskys though isn't it
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Petbows Sandwich - Gordon , Birkenhead e?
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 08:57:34 AM »
Is that a filler, or a whole slice of a chapter?

I was wondering if it ought to be called The Big Blue Book of Invalid Carriages. Like The Red Book of Westmarch, only different.

Will be read with relish!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 10:28:56 AM »
Petbows Limited would seem to have been naughty boys. I find in Hansard that the renege on the deal to buy, and insure employment on the Wirral, was altered quickly leading to the closure of Vernons only weeks after purchase. Vernons having previously gained aerospace contracts from the Government to boost employment in the area. This landed Lord Thornycroft an accusation of misleading the house, from no lesser person than Mr Wilson. The day, and age, where Labour stood for the working man and would have hotly debated such a dodgy deal diverting jobs away from one area to another against an interventionist social policy. They got away with it, and the impression is that Vernons were asset stripped.

There is mention of Petbows making a scooter. I wonder if that was unwanted plunder from another strategic purchase. Given there area of expertise, I guess Mercury. Not time to look it up at the moment.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 10:58:36 AM »
All the stuff I was going to put in the next RUM , my fault but I wanted a bit more info  -yep I have the Hansard for it

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 12:58:23 PM »
Only Vernons Industries was sold of with its , very lucrative , aerospace contracts . The parent outfit Vernons Pools reached an even more dodgy ending - read all about it  ;)