Author Topic: VE Day  (Read 3178 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
VE Day
« on: May 08, 2015, 04:40:46 PM »
Much of Europe celebrating VE Day today . A regular local sight is this L reg VW Beetle it's parked prominently on public land and the owners always dress the car when there is a possible theme - Christmas, Halloween , Easter etc . But I think maybe this one may be missing the point a little  ;)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 05:36:00 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: VE Day
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 04:43:42 PM »
It seems to have passed by completely un-noticed and un-marked here. Shame, people should respect the losses and the sacrifice.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 04:47:02 PM »
It's been all over the media all week and cenotaph today . In my wife's family it is renowned as being the time and day that her parents first met . VE Day celebrations at Wallasey . VJ Day still to come but theres barely been a mention of it strangely .
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 05:36:53 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 06:09:34 PM »
by missing the point i was referring to the car being Hitlers project

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 06:38:24 PM »
I didn't mis the point, it was well made and the irony clear !

To be fair,  the Beetle was a blatant rip-off of the Tatra and by the end of WW2  it would have disappeared forever without the British Army seeing its potential as basic military and communications transport for the Allied zone in Berlin and beyond! They re-built the factory, repaired or replaced machinery, re-connected power and water and got production rolling again. They even tried to persuade the British motor industry that it would sell well around the world!

Ferdinand Porsche, Aldolph Hitler and his thugs had remarkably little to do with the Beetle and its phenomenal world-wide success except crowing about how great "their" car was!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 07:23:50 PM »
Sorry Marcus , I didn't mean that you had , just that our younger members may not know the background

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 07:33:06 PM »
We watched the ceremony today on TV.  It was good to have a free hour from Election fever.  We respected the two minute silence. 

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 09:00:39 AM »
Unfortunately I missed most of it but there was certainly much on the theme over the weekend

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 08:44:33 AM »
VJ Day August 15th UK - the Japanese surrender and September 2nd U.S. - signing of surrender .

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 09:27:39 AM »
And as we all know, the war finally ended completely and legally on 3/10/1990 with German re-unification!

Er, that's 10/3/1990 for HEATHENS who refuse to use normal, proper, normal, decent, proper, sensible British normal date order ! (Copyright "Pub Landlord"/Al Murray)