Author Topic: Photo to make you smile  (Read 13231 times)

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
Re: Photo to make you smile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2015, 03:38:55 PM »
Such a lever was original fitment on the A, B and "C Standard"; the "C Deluxe" and subsequent Marks had electric start.

I must admit I never once managed to start my A by pulling the handle, and was mighty glad when I fitted the conversion kit to electric start, that Sharps made available from '53!

Sharps did promote a version of the Minicar for use by disabled people. Perhaps the conversion depended on how the driver was disabled?  Lack of an arm would not affect pedals (or kickstarting), but might require something to hold the wheel while changing gear.  The lack of leg(s) would mean hand throttle and/or clutch ... leaving rather a lot for the hands to do.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 11:00:46 PM »
Just back from Beaulieu . Dave the first Minicar was originally intended to have the 122cc Villiers hand pull would that have been easier to start than the 197cc most upgraded to ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 02:51:08 AM »
Just back from Beaulieu . Dave the first Minicar was originally intended to have the 122cc Villiers hand pull would that have been easier to start than the 197cc most upgraded to ?

True indeed - but some A, all B and all C-Standard had the hand pull and the 197!  Perhaps the owners were (or became??) more muscular than I am!

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 10:20:04 AM »
I remember a chap belonging to a model boat club I once patronised told me a tale of a Bond Minicar back in the 60's which originally had a hand start. Apparently this was defective, and the engine had to be kicked over by jumping under the bonnet. He said it conked out on him once in the middle of the Blackwall tunnel, somewhat bemusing passing drivers as they watched someone clamber into the bonnet and furiously trying to kick the engine back into life.

1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 10:34:33 AM »
You've clearly never had a Bond, Andy - perfectly normal activity, that!   I can score doing so in the middle of a 3-lane roundabout, and on the M6 ... though thankfully, I'd made it over to the hard shoulder when it cut out (in really heavy rain).

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 08:29:45 PM »
O' the joys of a Siba Dynastarter  ;D

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2015, 08:20:43 AM »
Did everyone spot the Scootacar.
Some Scootacars had a conversion to enable a disabled person to drive them.

Yep, had one with a hand throttle. No idea if it was left on the car. If I had kept it I would have done so but not connected the wire in favour of a pedal. So it might be the car in the film. Some of the action is much the same as used to happen at Microcar events. All good fun.

We have mentioned before that it is almost certain that there was a professional conversion of Messerschmitt KR200 to modified control, despite that the official line now is, there was not. Likewise there was the Trojans made for folk who exhibited dwarfism. It might be an unpleasant truth, but the Microcar is joined at the hip with the Invalid Carriage. Only ignoring the history counters the facts.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

milnes

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2015, 03:36:45 PM »
Thanks for posting the Video's Barry.
A few of the IC i wasn't familiar with, different shape to them, who can name them all i wonder ?
I need to stop buying!