Author Topic: Brake refurb  (Read 6224 times)

Basket case

• Chatty
Brake refurb
« on: May 10, 2015, 06:54:54 PM »
Just getting my Goggo master cylinder brought back to life. Bored out, sleeved with a stainless insert, honed, new seals supplied/fitted and then pressure tested, all for £53 plus vat. Had a few wheel cylinders and master cylinders done in the past for my Honda S800 and they are superb. Can't recommend Contract Auto Engineering highly enough.

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
Re: Brake refurb
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 07:04:46 PM »
Good price. Worth bearing in mind if i need something doing. All my brake cylinders have checked out fin so far, after unseizing them and given a light clean with a scotchbrite pad. New seals and they'll be good to go. If only it was always that easy.

Currently wrestling with a lower door hinge which doesn't want to part company with the door!
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Basket case

• Chatty
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 09:41:56 PM »
Is that on a Goggo? Are there many Goggos in the UK? Been too busy working on this one to do much research / contact other owners. I know Maurice Rogers has a limo. Are there many more?

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 10:23:44 PM »
No, it's my Isetta.

Don't know how many Goggo's there are in the UK.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 01:13:13 PM »
sorry to here you own a Isetta , you have my deepest sympathy , I'm still getting over owning one - still it will come in handy (No 1 reg £'sss) in the future .

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 01:38:50 PM »
May I refer you to RUMCAR NEWS.  For all too brief a period from Issue 113 Winter 2012 to  Issue 120 Spring 2014 we had the benefit of Mike O'Ballance's  time in charge of the Goggomobil section of the Register of Unusual Microcars.  During this period he produced detailed reports on the Goggos in each magazine.  In particular Issue 117 gives a detailed analysis of those cars in the UK.  Sadly, his untimely death at the beginning of 2014 has left as yet an unfilled gap, no one  has stepped forward to oversee this part of the Register.
However, his words of wisdom are there for all to read in RUMCAR NEWS, should want back copies  contact me.  If your car is on the Register you have only to ask Alastair Lauchland to link you up with other like owners.  This is what the Register is all about, no matter what microcar you have.  Get your car registered, then you can link up with other owners direct, not everyone uses the Forum!  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 06:50:35 PM »
Blooming cheek, I'm very fond of my Isetta, even if it is a rusty heap!
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 08:06:35 PM »
Blooming cheek, I'm very fond of my Isetta, even if it is a rusty heap!

only kidding !

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 09:54:17 PM »
Andy.  I am currently preparing my rusty Isetta for the road.  Up on axle stands looking at the wheels, tyres and brakes right now.  New Master Cylinder purchased but slaves look salvageable.
Last on the road in the early 1980's or before.  I bought it in 1991. Have always intended to restore it but now I just think I should have a bit of fun with it.

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 10:12:13 PM »
Yes I found the aluminium cylinders seem to survive surprisingly well.

Everything on my car fights me. Been having fun and games over the past couple of days removing the bottom door hinge from the door. Thing was jammed in tight as ducks doodaa. Couldn't see any noticeable rust, so I have a feeling the original part was over tight.

I'm really looking forward to getting those king pin locking pegs out of the chassis.

It will be nice when I can get past the stage of frozen up fixtures and fittings.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 07:48:01 PM »
Barry , looks nice , if you've never driven one memorise the gear 'H' ( :o) , good luck with the project .

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 07:52:17 PM »
With a RHD the H-pattern is conventional. I have a LHD, which is of course topsy turvy. I have read the LHD gear change is a little more positive than a RHD, although I have only had brief drives of RHD cars in the past, so can't give a first hand appraisal.

The close to 10% difference in weight plus improved stability has to be a bonus though.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 07:53:57 PM by AndyL »
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 08:04:27 PM »
soz , thought yours was LHD , ours is and its been in first a few times from third (you realy got to think) , the gearbox internals must be ok . Had all the usuals - valves/cylinder snap around holding studs/ exhaust pipe snap at clylider/rear wheel bearings , it was in 80% restored then stored under cover since the eighties , engine was restored by Glanfleld Larence . might see the road one day .

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 08:28:41 PM »
Barry , looks nice , if you've never driven one memorise the gear 'H' ( :o) , good luck with the project .

I had one on the road as general transport in the early 1980,s  Cost £100 which I could just about afford.
Great fun racing it with friends around the farm.
Gears were fine once I mastered a sort of rhythmic motion on the gear stick.
Worst points were running out of fuel going round a large roundabout at high (ish) speed and also the wobble of death on certain corners.
I learned to keep my foot on the floor and ride it out whilst pedestrians dived for cover.

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 09:15:31 PM »
Cylinders snapping around holding studs?

That's one I haven't heard of as being a common malady. All the others I've heard of, but they are all fixable.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.