Author Topic: Coil winding.  (Read 2466 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Coil winding.
« on: February 22, 2014, 07:40:41 PM »
Apart from west country windings can anyone recommend a good coil winder?  Thanks.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Coil winding.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 09:36:16 AM »
That will be the duff ignaro on the Gustimaster?

Well I know Alan Whitlock restores Siba and Bosch dynostarters out of 'Something' Wanborough, Basingstoke. Details should be on the MEC website, KaroScene.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 01:40:24 PM »
I could ask him but I couldn't find Alan details on the MOC site. Its concerning my Guzzino ignition coil. Not a microcar topic so I will continue this in the lounge.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 10:36:07 AM »
Thanks to Malcolm Parker finding me Alan Whitlocks contact details I spoke to him last night. He came up with a possible solution to my problem. Apparently when an internal magneto flywheel HT coil fails its usually down to the high tension winding which consists of thousands of turns of wire that are about the thickness of a human hair. No wonder nobody wants to rewind them!
What some people have done is remove the high tension wiring from the coil and if the low tension part is in tact which it usually is as its thicker wire, they feed the end of this coil out to power an external HT coil mounted under the tank. The kick from the low tension coil is just enough to power this and give the spark you need. Well, it sound like its worth a try anyway.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 02:46:02 PM »
Just to draw a line under this old topic, its taken a good 18 months to finally get my Mag coil rewound! Almost all the companies advertising coil rewinding are not prepared to rewind the split internal mag coils as used on many bikes and even microcars[villiers 8e]
The coil I had wound was from my 1949 Guzzino which failed on a club run in 2013.
William Salmons of Burnham on Crouch was the guy who eventually came good and did the job.
I got the coil back today and popped it on the bike , she was away after the second kick.
If anyone needs a similar job done for microcar or bike I can recommend Mr Salmon. It took four and a half month on his waiting list but worth the wait!

W.Salmons
35 Mill road
Burnham on Crouch
Essex CM0 8PZ

01621 784141