Author Topic: Lawil Lambretta William  (Read 14215 times)

eaurouge

• Occasional
Re: Lawil Lambretta William
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2015, 08:15:07 AM »
Does anyone know the hole spacing for the Isetta one?

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2015, 08:36:01 AM »
I have often wondered about the Lambretta connection regarding engines.  I have never seen the early Lambretta version until I spotted one on eBay.  My Lawil has a two cylinder BCB 250cc engine.  Other newer Willams have a 125cc single cylinder version of the BCB engine.   Big Al talked about a different engine in the Crayford UK version (no pictures).

The Willam on eBay is an early one and shows a much more 'Lambretta style' Engine.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2015, 08:36:13 AM »
Yep, just crawled under the Isetta for you and its 35mm hole centre to hole centre.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2015, 08:47:47 AM »
It is one of the Roto-flex sizes that includes Imp, Lotus, Triumph. Land Rover.

Crayford has a Ducati twin of 250cc with a governor. Do not recall the date off hand 1972?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2015, 09:00:08 AM »
In case this is of any use, a Hillman Imp one measures 8.5cm Diameter across from hole centre to hole centre.

eaurouge

• Occasional
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2015, 09:33:36 AM »
Isetta one looks the right one... 34mm hole to hole.

Think the Imp one might be too big!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2015, 09:42:11 AM »
You will also need to check the bolt hole diameter. My measurement was approximate, under the car with a tape measure. Shame its not the Imp one as they appear to be only £25!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2015, 09:46:39 AM »
Just looked at your pictures, your arm hole centres look about 60mm where as the Isetta one is about 67mm, I think the Isetta one is too big as well.   

eaurouge

• Occasional
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2015, 09:52:14 AM »
Thanks, will measure it properly soonest!

Sadly the imp is 84mm between centres....

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2015, 11:01:16 AM »
It is one of the Roto-flex sizes that includes Imp, Lotus, Triumph. Land Rover.

Crayford has a Ducati twin of 250cc with a governor. Do not recall the date off hand 1972?

Are we talking about one and the same thing Al.  I was lead to believe that the BCB engine in a 250cc Lawil is Ducati - or is there a different one?

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2015, 11:02:56 AM »
Thanks, will measure it properly soonest!

Sadly the imp is 84mm between centres....

I need a new drive coupling for my Isetta so if anyone knows the best quality ones available (at a reasonable price) please let me know.  Tried and tested.

skootashaun

• Chatty
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2015, 07:56:41 PM »
I have often wondered about the Lambretta connection regarding engines.  I have never seen the early Lambretta version until I spotted one on eBay.  My Lawil has a two cylinder BCB 250cc engine.  Other newer Willams have a 125cc single cylinder version of the BCB engine.   Big Al talked about a different engine in the Crayford UK version (no pictures).

The Willam on eBay is an early one and shows a much more 'Lambretta style' Engine.

OOH, a proper Lambro engine,
Bring on the TS1, Monza's and RB's  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9vAz16ZsKU
yup yup rabbit yup yup yup rabbit rabbit bunny jabber yup rabbit bunny yup yup yup rabbit bunny jabber yup yup yup rabbit bunny jabber yup yup bunny jabber rabbit

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2015, 09:32:59 AM »
I do not know, Barry. The car is still trapped in deep storage behind a Saab and a dismantalled 850 sq ft 4m high oak shed. I have no reason to suspect it differs from the period fitted Ducati 250 twin Lawil offered at the time, assuming they did offer one. They certainly did later. The engine is a V twin and looks like a generator, or boat, unit to me. It is too powerful for the chassis, so is limited. I believe Graham Walker removed the governor from his and found it would do around 70 mph. if you were brave enough. The short wheelbase makes it very twitchy at speed.
I believe Crayfords number 5 known. Certainly one 250cc SWB has left the country, I think possibly two. I do not know which models they are that are left, either.

Crayford were, of course, linked to Trojan. Trojan were Lambretta Concessionaires. The mystery, therefore, is who made the Mink, since it would have needed Trojan approval, yet Peter Agg said he knew nothing about it. Strangely there might be a link on the Mink to the Ladybird. It would explain the thinking behind the Mink, and fits in with the notion there was more than one Ladybird. A snowball of snippets, there, coming in on the side.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2015, 11:18:31 AM »
Sounds very interesting Al.  A V twin is nothing like the 250cc BCB parallel twin engine.  Best you get your climbing gear on and take some photos quick :)
Two stroke?

Perhaps it is time to send that worthless neglected Crayford to Suffolk?  I can help.

eaurouge

• Occasional
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2015, 03:43:30 PM »
Attached is a pic of mine.. still on the trailer as the prop is out at the moment waiting on making/finding a drive coupling...

Did take lots of pics, but then I left the camera at someone elses house... :-X