Author Topic: For The Love of Cars Channel 4 8.00pm 10May  (Read 11618 times)

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
Re: For The Love of Cars Channel 4 8.00pm 10May
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 06:49:10 PM »
I had chuckle at the comment about not wishing to be riding in one after eating a plate of brussel sprouts!
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 10:32:11 PM »
Better than that James May effort, even if it was surprisingly inaccurate - never mind Suez, why did nobody mention the Fiat 500 Topolino! I also couldn't help wondering how much money they spent restoring that Fiat, there didn't seem much left of the original.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2015, 10:37:51 PM »
Restoration costs are small beer compared to other production costs of the program.

They seemed to hack a lot of metal out of the car, but I guess they didn't want to faff about making small repair sections when they only had a fortnight to get the car done.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 11:01:19 PM »
I also couldn't help wondering how much money they spent restoring that Fiat, there didn't seem much left of the original.

It is far easier and more cost-effective to purchase replacement parts and metal for that car these days.
I know someone who used to import "restored" Fiat 500s to the USA and the only "original" parts were a chassis piece with the serial number, the dashboard and the steering wheel.  Everything else was reproduction. 
He said there were several places in Italy cranking out parts and doing these things in very short time.

AndrewRO

• Just Starting
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2015, 10:59:44 AM »
I'm pleased that my old C5 managed to gain a few minutes of fame on the show! :D

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2015, 01:34:47 PM »
I much enjoyed the show.

It seems to me that the one big mistake that Sinclair made was to call the C5 a "car".  In the run-up to the announcement (which I remember) the press were saying that the - then very successful, very cutting edge - company would soon release an electric car.

Of course it wasn't a car, it was an electrically assisted pedal trike.  I wonder if it would have done better, if promoted as such.

The 15 mph limit still applies now to electric bikes, of course - but to be honest, I'd rather set out on a journey on my electric bike, than a C5 - better visibility, for me and of me, and easier to pedal/steer.  It also reverts to a thoroughly usable pedal bike, with not much penalty other than weight, when the battery runs out!

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2015, 01:57:06 PM »
I remember going to the launch of the C5, which took place at Alexandra Palace in the Pavillion building, erected as a temporary building whilst the main building was reconstructed after the devastating fire which happened in 1980.

I think the biggest problem with the C5 was  that a push bike was a better and simpler and probably safer way of getting from A to B. I think the fact that was so low down, made it a liability on the road.

Cedric Lynch's bike (which I have seen regularly on the roads in Barnet and Potters Bar), demonstrates a much better approach, and shows what is possible with today's lithium battery technology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omIlvnNqFyc
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2015, 04:14:12 PM »
I just searched Sinclair by richard and came across our previous discussion a few years ago but cannot link them  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2015, 06:32:25 PM »
Malcolm

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2015, 06:49:19 PM »
I thought I'd posted this picture before, but I can't find it if I did. This was a Sinclair C5 race in Milton Keynes around 1987, part of a festival of Human powered vehicles (HPVs) that they had on. It wasn't many laps, and there were at least a couple that turned over, but it was good fun to watch.
Malcolm

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2015, 07:09:13 PM »
Thanks Malcolm that last ones a new one on me , I wonder if they took the batteries out ? Lighter but less stable ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

AndrewRO

• Just Starting
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2015, 11:24:12 AM »
C5s are surprisingly stable. I've taken a couple to the edge and only one ever went over on me. The club had a pen at Brooklands where we could ride around. We made a slalom course and did close passes by each other. These things are very nimble and stable, battery or no battery. Until you try you never know. I've driven microcars less stable than these.

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2015, 01:52:03 PM »
It was years ago, but if memory serves the crashes seemed more a combination of cornering flat out on adverse cambers on a grippy surface, perhaps combined with some over zealous steering inputs rather than any inherent lack of stability. They were racing!
Malcolm

AndrewRO

• Just Starting
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2015, 03:21:38 PM »
You've hit the nail on the head there Malcolm! They don't like banks or hills of any sort! I remember taking mine through Burford. Going up the hill was a struggle to say the least. Coming back down was nerve racking. A very good way to have fun though!