Author Topic: Goggomobil brakes  (Read 4324 times)

swanktank

• Chatty
Goggomobil brakes
« on: May 14, 2015, 03:32:41 PM »
Hello all,
The front nearside brake cylinder is leaking fluid everywhere and the right hand one is not great either. I haven't looked at the rear ones yet!!! I renewed everything on the brakes 6 or so years ago when I got the thing on the road. Does anyone know:-
1. Are Goggo brakes known to be cr*p and this is all I can expect?
2. Are these wheel cylinders used on something else (Isetta?) - easier to get than from Germany?
3. Any other thoughts?
Thanks
Maurice

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
Re: Goggomobil brakes
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 03:36:25 PM »
Maybe they were lousy rubbers?

I always found this to be the case running minis. I'd ask for the best rubbers they had, which were usually the Unipart items, yet they still split and failed with depressing regularity.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 03:39:53 PM »
I heard something about using synthetic brake fluid in old cars that weren't used regularly.  Lasts forever and doesn't affect the rubber?
Anyone have any experience?

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 03:42:34 PM »
1. Are Goggo brakes known to be cr*p and this is all I can expect?

don't blame Goggo for crummy replacement parts.
The originals lasted for quite a while.
You should try getting replacement parts from a reputable source such as Uwe Staufenberg.
Not aware of these cylinders being used on anything else.

Also- I responded to your request on the Schmitt board of how to clean brake linings of brake fluid.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 04:52:22 PM »
I think you mean Silicone brake fluid dont you?
Its great stuff, the army uses it in its vehicle which are laid up for long periods because with the silicone it doesnt tend to seize up the slaves.
If switching to it its recommended all the rubbers in all the cylinders be replaced with new and the system thoroughly flushed through.

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 05:01:39 PM »
Also known as Dot 5.

Doesn't absorb moisture like glycol based fluids
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 06:17:45 PM »
I've bought two cars (Isetta and Bond Mk G) which had each been off the road for about 6 years, and both had had the system filled with silicone fluid. Both had dead brakes, as the master cylinder rubbers had become rigid - so didn't expand when under pressure, allowing the fluid straight past.

Research I did for the Isetta (around 1997) suggested that silicone fluid is great if you use the brakes regularly, but hopeless if left inactive for several years.

Incidentally, I fitted new master cylinders in both cases, flushed and refilled with "normal" fluid, and all was fine.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 06:29:51 PM »
 ;D  Maybe not so good then! Unless 6 years is just too long?

I wonder if the rubbers have to be a specially compatible material?

« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 06:31:45 PM by Bob Purton »

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 06:57:35 PM »
Silicone generally is compatible with all rubbers, except silicone rubber.

Not sure what polymer they use for brake parts, have a feeling it's a nitrile base.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Basket case

• Chatty
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 07:09:01 PM »
Due to get my Goggo master cylinder back from being fitted with a stainless sleeve and new rubbers quite soon. I'll ask Contract Auto Engineering what they recommend. Just bought new wheel cylinders from Uwe......got me worried now!
Contract Auto will sleeve wheel cylinders quite cheaply. Interestingly Germany used imperial sizes in the 50's and 60's. 5/8 sleeve being fitted. Don't know why!?

swanktank

• Chatty
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 07:47:49 PM »
All brake cylinders were new from Uwe (complete with innards) when I restored the car. The fluid which I last used was Comma Brake and Clutch Fluid DOT 4 Synthetic. I use the Goggo around town about 3 or 4 times a week.
I haven't taken the bad cylinder apart yet to see what has actually happened. I took the one from the other side apart which was only weeping slightly a few weeks ago. There was a thin black deposit on the pistons, quite difficult to remove . . .

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 10:18:02 PM »
Hi Maurice. You should try buying your parts from a reputable source! Oh you did?

Maybe 6 years is all you get, my g-wiz ones have just given up after 7 years and they are a modern Suzuki product. You may have to just live with that. You've been spoilt by schmitt cable brakes. ;D

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 08:53:24 AM »
My experience of Goggos is they suffer brake failure rather quickly, if not in regular use. I have no idea why this should be, over other cars. But them Mini rear is another favourite and they are as common as muck. The Borg I bodged up to get home about 10 years ago still has brakes on a broken system! Better metal? Better rubber?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

swanktank

• Chatty
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 01:29:35 PM »
Well, I had a look at the rubbers and wheel cylinder this morning. The rubbers look OK but the cylinder shows more corrosion than I would have hoped. Perhaps a ss sleeve would be better than new cylinder. I don't suppose I could clean up the old one.

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2015, 03:08:25 PM »
I cleaned my cylinders out with a scotchbrite pad. They're aluminium with steel pistons, I assume yours are cast iron .

I think you'll get away with a light hone, assuming they haven't been refurbished that way in the past, and show no signs of deep pitting or scoring.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.