Author Topic: Strange lamps  (Read 4081 times)

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
Strange lamps
« on: May 19, 2015, 06:54:58 PM »
I removed these from my Isetta. Someone fitted them either side of the rear number plate, presumably for reversing.

They're in pretty grim condition, with corroded chrome bezels and the plastic lenses are melted! I've not seen these fitted to anything else. Anyone know their lineage?

1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Strange lamps
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 07:33:18 PM »
I have seen at least two pairs on eBay in the last couple of years one pair as yours and one pair immaculate these latter went for quite a price . They were both advertised as reversing lights by Sparto, England
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 09:47:09 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 08:31:22 PM »
strange there is a pair on our Isetta , fitted by ourself's , dating from the 1980's .

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 08:55:52 PM »
Ha, small world.

I'm not sure when my car was last on the road. Sadly the original log book for my car got lost in the mists of time, and I only ever had the V5 document which dated from 1983 onwards. Enquiries with the DVLA and local authorities where the car was registered never turned up anything, so i think the cars original owners will always remain a mystery.

I estimate my car was taken off the road sometime in the late sixties or early seventies. It still had original seat covering and paint, and i think cars which were kept on the road later than this tended to have these items overhauled.

So I'm guessing that the lights were fitted sometime in the 1960's.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 09:43:02 PM »
I saw quite a few of the actual lenses at Beaulieu last week and there are I think some on eBay under Landrover Sparto - are they the same . Those at the weekend were cheap and second hand but if you did want to refurbish them you could . I don't think they enhance an Isetta myself but a Triumph Spitfire or some such ?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 09:48:17 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 10:00:18 PM »
I haven't any desire to retain these lamps, just wondered what they were. A reversing lamp is a useful thing to have, but I can make or adapt something a good deal more subtle than these.

I'll clean them up and stick 'em on ebay then, few more shekels for the restoration fund!  :)
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 12:20:40 AM »
I have had them in the past, always as after market fittings. I originally thought Citroen DS but they would not be a Sparta unit. The shrouding might mean the Landrover used them as a convoy light.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 08:09:29 AM »
Don't get me wrong here, the LENSES were used as sidelights on Landrover the housings definitely were not

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 09:48:15 AM »
I wonder why. They normally used the Lucas 'prince of darkness' parts bin. So a plain version of the unit being available brings the shrouding into a special case probability. Sort of thing needed by a boat or Bobette.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 10:44:24 AM »
I know this has really gone way off topic , if it was ever on ,  :) Landrover lights are a cornucopia of British lights Wipac ( still ) ,  at least 4 different Sparto and Lucas that I know of

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 10:50:37 AM »
Okay did a bit of digging about. Seems these were often fitted to Sunbeam Alpines as a dealer option.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 01:05:49 PM »
Ah that's the one I knew it was something sporty  :)