Author Topic: Bond National Rally 22/24 May 2015  (Read 9791 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Bond National Rally 22/24 May 2015
« on: May 24, 2015, 08:10:51 PM »
Bond National Rally a great success with Rusty Chrome ( Malcolm Parker ) winning both furthest travelled two stroke at 330 miles round trip I think and also 2nd in the concours , very gratifying I hope as his car is very nice . Malcolm also camps in a tent and brings tent cooker,foods , bed and chairs so good old fashioned rallying for those who like to see this 70's re-enactment  ;D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 10:27:46 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Bond National Rally 22/24 May 2015
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 08:28:50 AM »
Congratulations Malcolm! I doesnt seem that long ago when you couldnt get the car to run and now you are achieving marathon mileages!
You never did tell us what the problem was??

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 08:33:25 PM »
great stuff , afterall they didn't leave Ribbleton Lane with a trailer attached  ;D

photos please ...

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 08:37:51 PM »
I was home Sunday night , to see The Three Queens at Liverpool today. Malcolm was staying on another night and I hope he has returned today , Monday. Malcolm as we have seen is very active with the camera so I am sure they will follow 
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 09:21:07 PM »
great stuff , afterall they didn't leave Ribbleton Lane with a trailer attached  ;D

photos please ...

Well ...

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 07:25:43 PM »
Congratulations Malcolm! I doesnt seem that long ago when you couldnt get the car to run and now you are achieving marathon mileages!
You never did tell us what the problem was??
Thanks Bob. That was when the piston rings had stuck into their grooves at the front of the piston. It looked like everything was fine until I took the barrel off. The engine still had some compression, but not very much. Anyway I managed to ease the rings out without breaking them and cleaned up the grooves and it worked after that.

The run up to Nottingham was really good. I even got up to 54 mph on the sat nav on one flat stretch although it was more usually 40 - 50 depending on undulations. Conversely, at one point I had to stop for a car turning right at the bottom of a big hill on the A429 at Fossebridge and was crawling along at 7mph in 1st by the time that I reached the top, fortunately on that stretch of road there is a crawler lane.

What I'd finally realised after yet more running was that although the fuel tank holds about 2 1/2 gallons when it's full, when it was getting down to about a gallon or so, the fuel pressure from the gravity feed wasn't sufficient to keep up with demand and you'd get fuel starvation even though it looks like you've still got plenty left in the tank. Also, my car can't cope with mixing the petrol/oil in the tank. Mixing it in a can beforehand  and keeping the tank brimming on the trip worked like a dream. My only other mistake was missing a turning in some roadworks and ending up on the M69 for a bit. Fortunately no problems, but not something I'd be keen to repeat.

Of course I still hadn't properly sorted the issue that had stopped the car on the way up to Wales the other week, when the thread in the carb where the banjo bolt screws in had partially stripped. I'd adopted Dave Millers suggestion and used non-setting gasket goo as a temporary fix, but the banjo bolt eventually started vibrating loose and consequently fuel starvation became a problem on the way back, I stopped and redid the temporary gasket in Tesco's car park at Ashby-de-la-Zouch on the way back, and things looked OK for a while, but by the time I got to Stretton-on-Dunsmore, I was stopping every few minutes and what had been left of the thread had given out entirely - even with some cable ties to clamp the bolt to the carb, it was leaking like a sieve. I took out the outer fibre washer and used gasket goo on that joint as well, but though that did allow the bolt to tighten and gave a much better joint than previously, some of the goo was obviously interfering with the filter and restricting the fuel flow so that even with the tank full, I couldn't pull full revs going up hill. I knew I was getting into the hilly bit of the Cotswolds and I was also getting a bit conscious of stalling on a big hill with a load of traffic behind me so I abandoned the attempt a little bit further on. Still I'd managed 154 miles to Nottingham and just under 100 miles on the way back, so a massive improvement on any run I'd managed previously. Very pleased to have come 2nd in the concours having driven to the event. Now I'd better get on and sort the carb out properly!

I've also got to look again at the fuel pipe run. there's very little drop between the tank and the carb on the Bond, but quite a long fuel pipe to cope with the 180 degrees you can turn the engine. I'd copied the pipe run from some under bonnet photos from the 1950s, but I suspect the original fuel pipe was a bit stiffer than the one I'm using, and that little bit of extra droop in the pipe is sufficient to cause problems when the tank isn't quite full.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 07:42:38 PM by Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker) »
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 07:45:12 PM »
Some photos
Malcolm

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 07:46:23 PM »
More photos
Malcolm

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 07:47:31 PM »
and another
Malcolm

Mark Green

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 01:14:39 AM »
Thanks for the pictures Malcolm they are great!! I have yet to come across a Bond at a show here in the States.
1958 FriskySport

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 08:19:13 AM »
Malcolm, I just looked through my carb box and I have a villiers carb body with thread in perfect condition. Its yours if you want it.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 08:28:55 AM »
Nice one Bob ! Malcolm very sorry to hear of your problems you obviously we're wise not to drive in the mad tip the roly competition on Sunday afternoon just hoping for a nice run home . Next time eh ? I haven't broken down in a micro for about 12 years now - wonder why  ;D

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 10:38:48 AM »
I thought you might be able to have routed around the Cotswolds. Must have your location wrong. There are certainly a few stinkers round there. I regularly do Saintbury. The Bonds all took a breather, some enforced, about 3/4 of the way up, it was a hot day when it was routed on a run out. Group fag. Unfortunately some then miss read the instructions and descended Fish Hill into Broadway, before realising the error.  Fish Hill, last time up that it killed the Merc I was in. In true Bond fashion, the bonnets were re aimed, and they appeared at Broadway Tower looking for a good cuppa, not to be rushed by over excited Messerschmitts.

Bring back Tip the Roly to the National. Might have to rename it to be PC. Tip the Fakey?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 01:19:40 PM »
Hi Al
I'm sure I could have got a bit further had I know the countryside in those parts better. You're not the only one who thinks that tip-the roly/fakey/tritech or some kind of driving event needs a comeback in the nationals. There must be some way to restrain the competitive aspect so that it keeps it all light hearted.

Here's a pic from a few years back
Malcolm

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 08:18:36 PM »
Malcolm , thanks for sharing the photos , I must get back into gear and try for next years rally - stiff joints and failing eyesight permitting ...

(if you get stuck for a S25 give me a mailing address I could help , also should you get sorted remember to do ALL mods to the carb to stop any mis fortunes - also use a (2) new fiber washer every time and dont overtighten - the EFG and CD petrol pipe is differing length )

Alan