Author Topic: Isetta wheels  (Read 4312 times)

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
Isetta wheels
« on: June 04, 2015, 09:52:41 AM »
Posting this up here, as it seems to be a perennial subject.

I have a collection of Isetta wheels some in better shape than others. I think it's generally known that three wheel Isetta's had 3.5" rims at the back and either 3" or 3.5" rims up front depending on the age of the car, with pre '61 cars usually being fitted with the narrower wheels.

My car didn't have any front wheels when I got it, the drums were sitting in the dirt, I used a pair of old 3" rims I had to get back onto three wheels. I also picked up a couple of better condition 3.5" rims at shows many moons ago, however these have a slightly different rim style to the rear rims I have.

My plan was to fit 3.5" rims all round, as they're in better condition, and radials should fit better I think.

Does anyone know if this is correct, were there two different types of 3.5" rim on British Isetta's?

3" rim. Rough but serviceable with some work

Rear 3.5" rim. Good nick but not enough to go all round the car

Alternative 3.5" rim. I have a pair of these, and they're in much better condition than the 3" rims I have as you can see.
The main difference seems to be the outer part of the rim is deeper set than the rear 3.5" rim I have. Perhaps these were British made and the rear rim was German made?

1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
Re: Isetta wheels
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 12:36:16 PM »
I have just refurbished my rims.
Sand blast and stove enamel cream / ivory

My Isetta RHD was registered in August 1961

3" x 3 (inc spare)
3.5" on the back

I have no reason to suspect that anyone ever changed the rims.
The fronts (3") appear to be from thinner steel.
The back (3.5") appears thicker.

I would be concerned about fitting 3.5" on the front as clearances are fairly tight, especially with radials.
I have fitted - 145/80 x10 Falken Tyres (SN-807)  as suggested by Bob. 

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 12:47:05 PM »
My car never had a spare- there were quite a few bits missing on my car that I had to source elsewhere.

I've always been led to believe that the spare should be a 3.5" as they were the only wheels that had enlarged stud holes that could fit on the back or the front.

Graham Dewhurst over on facebook says he runs his car on 3.5" rims all round with no issues.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 01:00:30 PM »
If 3.5 rims work thats fine.  I just remember it being said that certain radials would not fit as they are too close to the suspension posts.  3.5" rims would not help, although, they are dished outwards.

My car had the back 3.5" wheel with a 5.20 crossply and the spare 3" with a 5.20 cross ply. looks like the stud holes in the spare have been increased in diameter.
It is hard to say what decisions the owners have been made over the years.......

Photo has a bit too much sun.  The wheels are cream / ivory not white :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 06:02:32 PM by Barry »

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 11:04:24 AM »
One of my front rims was balanced with weights on the inside.  That seems to be a No-No. on an Isetta.  The weight hits the suspension.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 11:16:52 AM »
If it was used on the trike rear, it would be the outside rim, as the wheel is back to front. Only a suggestion.

I think the spare wheel was an optional extra on an Isetta?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 11:59:55 AM »
You could just take the weight off as Isetta speeds will not present any problems with wheel wobbling.
I have no weights on my wheels at all.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 01:25:15 PM »
Thats what I will do for now Bob.

Having experienced the wobble of death in the past I just wanted the wheels to be as smooth as possible.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 10:43:28 PM »
Isetta is nearly ready for its MOT.
Last on the road in 1973/74  23,000 miles
I bought it in 1996.  How time flies.  About time it was dusted off.

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 10:45:20 PM »
Wheel wobble or shimmer is caused by the single link steering, and worn silentblocs.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 09:42:15 AM »
Its caused by poor geometry, which is exasipated by single link steering and worn silent bloc bushings, I suggest. Trienkel has single link steering and silent bloc bushings, but does not suffer wobble until the bushings fail. Annoyingly the Treinkel suspension does not really work well, whereas the Isetta seems fine, within its design limitations. So neither car can claim the high ground. Back to best bits of each car thread Bob initiated.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 04:43:24 PM »
In truth I've not heard anyone moaning about shimmer on isetta steering if it's all in good order.

Woolly/disonnected steering is a complaint, but I think that is more due to the worm and nut steering box, whereas the Heinkel had a much more positive rack and pinion I believe. However might be thankful of the self locking nature of a worm if you were unlucky enough to suffer a blowout when cruising.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 06:19:59 PM »
Worm and pinion, so much better than maggot and peach from the days of optional steering. Or perhaps the Bond Mk A cheese cutter, too.