Author Topic: Bond National Rally 22/24 May 2015  (Read 9790 times)

NickPoll

• Quite Chatty
Re: Bond National Rally 22/24 May 2015
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 11:11:28 PM »
In about 1986 I drove my recently acquired MKC to Morecombe. It was to be a round trip of over 550 miles. After only 5 miles I thought to myself " am I doing the right thing ? "At the time I had just paid £65 for the car.It had a home made hard top, held on with G clamps. I got as far a Kidlington Services the first day and slept in the car. The next day it refused to restart when hot, after a petrol top up near Swindon. I had to go into the Little Chef next door and have some nosh to give the condenser a chance to cool down and resume sparking. Going up the M6 later that day a G clamp came off and dropped onto my thermos flask, shattering the fragile liner, so no more coffee. At Morecombe I enjoyed a good rally and the mk C performed well and got me home a few days later. Great fun.
Messerschmitt Tiger 500, KR201 roadster, 1955 KR200, 1958 KR200, 1959 KR200, 1964 KR200, Nobel 200, Morgan Super Sports, Goggo Coupe, Isetta 300, Velorex 350, Bond mk D, Lomax.

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 11:19:11 PM »
A wonderful story, Nick.

It's lovely to think that there are quite a few Mk Cs (and others) that could still do that.

I'm just not sure that we could!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 08:40:51 AM by DaveMiller »

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 11:28:38 PM »
Malcolm , thanks for sharing the photos , I must get back into gear and try for next years rally - stiff joints and failing eyesight permitting ...

(if you get stuck for a S25 give me a mailing address I could help , also should you get sorted remember to do ALL mods to the carb to stop any mis fortunes - also use a (2) new fiber washer every time and dont overtighten - the EFG and CD petrol pipe is differing length )

Alan
Thanks for that Alan and I very much hope we see you before long.

I've fitted another S25 body I already had, and I've re-routed the fuel pipe and lopped about 1 1/4" from it's overall length following a chat with a couple of the other D owners at the Rally and a comparison of pipe runs. Interesting to learn that I'm not the only one who has had problems with fuel starvation or with attempting to mix good quality 2-stroke oil and petrol in the tank.

As I mentioned to Bob, I could really do with a torque setting for the banjo bolt, as despite fitting new fibre washers and having what I believe is a good thread in the hole, I still seem to have ended up with a very slight amount of fuel weeping from the join and I'm just a bit reluctant now to try that extra 1/4 turn. Bob's also suggested roughening up the surface of the fibre washers before use, so I shall try this tomorrow or perhaps try a bit harder to find the softest washers I can.

Perhaps someone should make plastic banjo bolts, I'm sure good engineering practice would be for the thread on that to fail rather than the thread in the carb?
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2015, 07:17:04 PM »
sorry cant help with torg' settings - is the filter in the banjo a long one ? - stopping it from tightening - try 2 washers one end .
you are right with the banjo it could be made in plastic of some sort , its not only the thread that strips - the fuel needle seat is 'cast'/made into the body , and there is no easy way to renew , and some time even fitting a new float needle the fuel still leaks .
as for the oil I've always poured the oil into the tank before the petrol (and a squirt of Redex) , using the cheep 1 gallon stuff  , the few seizures have been tail winding with the foot down  ;D

Alan

Basket case

• Chatty
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2015, 03:53:05 PM »
I've got a helicoil kit for the banjo thread if anyone needs a repair.

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2015, 12:23:01 AM »
Thanks again all. Roughening up the fibre washers beforehand produced the desired result.  :)
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2015, 07:57:44 AM »
Excellent news! The old tricks are often the best. The softer surface it creates gives it something to bed down into and seal properly.