Author Topic: driving licence changes - did you know ?  (Read 5872 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: driving licence changes - did you know ?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 08:04:47 AM »
Another fine example of the confusion and havoc caused when bureaucrats and politicians make major changes without thinking about the ramifications.

Like getting rid of the "Tax Disc", it used to be easy for Police, Traffic Wardens, Community Wardens and he Public to spot any car driving or parked on public roads with Tax (and therefore possibly without MOT and Insurance too). I have spoken to Police and Wardens who say that they used to take action if they saw a discless vehicle, but now cannot be bothered to check details of every car they see.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 08:13:46 AM »
I never got the paper part of my licence when I renewed up to a plastic photo card one 2 years ago, does anyone know what I have to do if I want to hire a vehicle?

Similar bureaucratic bumbling has happened with London's Congestion Charge...you used to be able to phone, go on-line, or pay at a newsagents. Now you can only pay on-line or by phone, far less convenient if you are out and about and don't have internet!

Worse, if you want to pay by phone you have to go on-line to register the fact that you want to pay by phone. Phone and on-line also require that you Register car details plus your user name and password and the site NEVER recognises your user name and pass word. When you give new ones it says that you are not the registered user of that vehicle. Cash in a shop was SO quick, easy and convenient, no risk of Internet card fraud, no personal details being traded, no need to find a computer and internet.....

Worst of all, at shops you could pay on the day, the day after, or in advance. On-line you can pay on the day, or for 2 or more days ahead, but NOT for the following day!

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 08:38:26 AM »
The point is that the police and traffic wardens are now able to spend that time doing something else (possibly) more useful.  Why is that bad?

The cars not taxed will be picked up, effortlessly, when they pass a number-plate recognition camera.

super-se7en (Malc Dudley)

• Quite Chatty
  • Two Frisky sports
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 09:16:33 PM »
Just came back off holiday and had to fly into London. I had booked a hire car back in February to get me back into the Midlands.
They decided i needed a code from the DVLA so they could check if i had any points on my licence. Apparently this code only lasts 72 hours and as i have not been near a computer for 7 days i was stuffed.
They said no problem give me your national insurance number and we will get one. Now i have been retired for 7 years and the last thing i carry around is that number. They said sorry although you have paid and fast tracked the paperwork no hire car.
Well i had been up since 5am and i let them have it with both barrels. The manager appeared, got me to sign a piece of paper and i was on my way. My wife had to throw me some raw meat to calm me down.
The morel of this story is do not leave home without your national insurance number. (If this is progress i am a monkeys uncle.
Rant over i will get my coat.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 09:34:12 PM »
Big Brother gets larger
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 09:39:02 PM »
I am sure it is cock up rather than conspiracy but I thought this was something we were going to have to bare in mind   :P
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Mark Green

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 09:55:53 PM »
Wow what will I need in September to rent a car?
1958 FriskySport

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 11:37:11 PM »
I am sure it is cock up rather than conspiracy but I thought this was something we were going to have to bare in mind   :P

Maybe be so. But what when its really important. Like banning free Oxygen 12 hours before issuing respirators. I am sorry. We pay f'ing fortunes in taxation to the State. I expect a professionally acceptable standard of output for that money demanded. A private company would not be allowed to get away with such sloppy work, and has to ask for payment, rather than demand it with menaces. The country should be up in arms over this, and other, 'unforeseen problems'. The fact it is not, is why they occur.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 07:53:25 AM »
I was already aware of this, and it also has implications for holiday makers trying to hire cars in That Foreign.

It is a classic case of British Bean-Counting Bureaucratic Managerial Buffle-headed Dandipratishness.

British bureaucracy is now about the worst in the world, growing out of control, more offices being built everywhere to house the growing population of Buffle-headed Dandiprats, who have little clue of what they do, believe they are God's gift to the planet, and mess up everything they do. They have overseen the mass destruction of our industrial and production base in favour of a "Service Economy".

They have now decided to save the cost of a SINGLE PIECE OF PAPER for a licence that drivers actually pay good money for anyway. Instead of charging us an extra 0.1p for the cost of this single piece of paper, they decide to ditch it without THINKING OF THE CONSEQUENCES AND RAMIFICATIONS of NOT having this paper, and NOT putting it on a Chip on the licence.

The DVLA site keeps crashing due to exceptionally heavy demand, and their Phone Minions are trying desperately to answer questions while Tech Minions try to find an eSolution to this cancelled One Piece Of Paper.

It is costing FAR more than the savings from NOT continuing with One Piece Of Paper.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 08:23:26 AM »
It all stems from the failure to slip the driving licence in as a sort of ID card (eroding our civil liberty. In the main threatened by other inefficient Gov departments, and idiotic European interference, that should have remained unimplemented). More effort was put into this ID element, than its actual use as a driving licence. In fact they have scrapped the wrong thing, as the bit of paper was the driving licence. To do anything to do with driving meant having the bit of paper, or an old licence like I did until I moved, save many companies chose not to accept these as they did not have ID pictures on them. So they were complicit in the deceit now biting everyone on the bum.

The reality is authorities that need to ID drivers now only need the picture on file, as they can compare the image held with what is in front of them, by using there various gadgets. So the ID card part of the licence is not actually needed, but the paper bit is. But having got part way to an ID card you can bet the State will not give that up. So await the answer......A more complicated card, with more info on it, more like an ID card, for a higher fee. Which is what they want, but will not get by asking. That in itself will be a mess-up and another half million immigrants will fiddle that system to become British and claim all sorts of rights at the populations expence.

But the important thing is that people in charge, are in charge. Beware of anyone who is importantly in charge, is my advice. They tend to be dangerous, or idiotic, normally both. 

super-se7en (Malc Dudley)

• Quite Chatty
  • Two Frisky sports
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 09:40:23 AM »
Regarding Marks post.
I believe it only applies to those of us who own a British driving licence.All other nationalities (i think) get away with it. I do love our country.
Why do we always form a queue.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 11:14:35 AM »
Its easier to get into the UK without a passport, than with an out of date passport! We are second class citizens in our own country. Still better than most places to live though.

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 11:22:57 AM »
They have now decided to save the cost of a SINGLE PIECE OF PAPER for a licence that drivers actually pay good money for anyway. Instead of charging us an extra 0.1p for the cost of this single piece of paper

Mmmm.  A single piece of non-standard, thick and durable paper, bought in huge quantities, is likely to cost rather more, but then there's the printing, the post, the systems to do those things, the people to run those systems, the people to design those systems, the people to organise those people ...

I'm sure there will be savings, but surely the point of the changeover is that the computer record will be more up to date than an old piece of paper.

The part of the changeover which I find deplorable, though, is the almost covert implementation.  I'm reasonably well read, I like to think, and anything car-related tends to catch my eye, but it's only recently, and through indirect sources such as this forum, that I've learned of it.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 11:33:40 AM »
Dave, I was exaggerating somewhat for comic effect, but the change was not well thought out, and certainly extremely poorly notified!