Author Topic: driving licence changes - did you know ?  (Read 6053 times)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: driving licence changes - did you know ?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 12:42:42 PM »
As I am going on holiday next month, and sharing driving duties in a mini bus, I have had to get my details from here:

https://www.viewdrivingrecord.service.gov.uk/driving-record/licence-number

You have to provide Licence number, NI number and post code, then you get a check code to see/share/print out your licence details.

I was lucky because the site was working well today, but it has been crashing almost constantly, apparently.

For the 3 of us driving that means that :

Each of us has to go on-line to do this (time + electricity for computers and printers)

TWELVE (12) sheets of paper have to be printed out (ink + paper + electricity)

and sent (envelope + stamp + Mail time + fuel to deliver)

to the hire company, in advance.

EDIT: the site kept refusing to accept my licence number as valid, after many attempts I finally realised that you have to omit the last two digits of your number!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 01:26:28 PM by marcus »
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 04:35:14 PM »
It works. The State saved money, you did not. Welcome to the world of stealth tax.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 04:43:07 PM »
Er, the state had to open and design a new website, and continues to have to deal with many Overload Crashes, as well as receiving countless phone calls, emails and letters form the public. IT and clerical time must have cost a fortune!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 04:52:05 PM »
Yeah, but that is OK, as your paying for it, and someone is in charge. Terribly important that somebody is in charge. More important than anything working.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2015, 04:54:55 PM »
Yup!

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2015, 11:18:16 PM »
Yes, the admin dragon (an accurate technical term) of the hire company I am using says she wants me to arrive with a printed page of the check code since she cannot rely on my handwriting.  It's just as well I'm a customer and she has to be so polite, I think.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2015, 07:47:43 AM »
The Check Code is only valid for a few days after which you have to re-register. When you do register and view, there are four pages, at least one of which seems to me to be not something any hire company would "need" to see or keep on file. However, I have learned that pieces of paper are ALL vitally important to those whose job involves pieces of paper, therefore I prinetd ALL of mine, and will print ALL of my brother's ones when I register his licence today. Both of us will also sign and date each piece of paper and confirm that neither of us has any charges or prosecutions pending.

Leave no room for the beggars to say "Ah, but you haven't........" !

super-se7en (Malc Dudley)

• Quite Chatty
  • Two Frisky sports
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2015, 09:29:40 AM »
The most important piece of information in the new system is your national insurance number as the hire company can apply for a code (with your permission) at the point of collection. Do not leave home without it. Mine is tattooed on my backside so i can show any official when required.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2015, 10:12:55 AM »
Yup, licence number (minus last two digits!), NI number and Post Code  needed.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2015, 08:32:32 PM »
NI number is your State number and if you were a cow, would be clipped to your ear on a plastic label. Prime beef or milking herd?

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2015, 07:24:25 AM »
Luckily I am not a silly old moo!

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2015, 11:40:55 AM »
I have done my brother's one now (he cannot/does not use computers).

Worth noting that my Licence number ends with a space then two more digits. On bro's the two digits were on the line below, so if yours is like mine try leaving off the last two digits or you will waste 30 mins like I did! Obviously advising us of this is far to much to ask of them!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2015, 03:53:53 PM »
I was going to ask what you do without a computer, etc. Big assumptions going on.
Still soon if your off the computer/mobile networks, you will not exist and have no bank account. If you take my tip you jetison all but the amount of Currancy needed in favour of real money. It will then be impossible for the Government to afford to find you and to extract its protection racket funds. Sounds good to me. Buffalo roam free.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2015, 04:11:09 PM »
Ah Al. I only wish that I was as fit as you and not in need of the NHS . I suppose you would go to a private doctor with a bag , large , of cash . You do like to pick and choose which bits of society to belong too  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2015, 07:22:18 PM »
Ah, if its supporting you the system is a wonderful thing. Need a computer to work out when that happens, Doh!