Author Topic: Electric bike  (Read 3073 times)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Electric bike
« on: June 05, 2015, 05:35:20 PM »
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Electric bike
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 08:04:54 PM »
What happened? Did it run out of juice? Silent but deadly bike. For whom? Tider or person not looking. There is something to be said for bikes making a racket. Still it seems to go well enough.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 10:54:00 PM »
No, it didnt run out of juice, just finished the trial. "Seem to go quite well?"  Average of 117mph on ordinary roads!
The TT electric bike race has been a huge success and gets faster every year despite peoples prejudices.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 11:47:50 PM »
Oh. Stupidly I thought they would complete the TT course. That might be impressive but with electric you have a choice. Speed or distance. After all a rail gun is able to offer incredible acceleration to the point explosives struggle to compete. Applied thus to this route a linear motor would be at about 400 mph! I do think there is a bit of vegetarian sausageism to all this electric car thing. Its clear where electric power wins, why does it have to look like a meat product to impress? 
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 01:01:45 AM »
There was me thinking it was an electric bicycle, not a motorcycle! My E-bike only does 18 mph.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 01:53:12 AM by Rob Dobie »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 08:07:28 AM »
Oh. Stupidly I thought they would complete the TT course. That might be impressive but with electric you have a choice. Speed or distance. After all a rail gun is able to offer incredible acceleration to the point explosives struggle to compete. Applied thus to this route a linear motor would be at about 400 mph! I do think there is a bit of vegetarian sausageism to all this electric car thing. Its clear where electric power wins, why does it have to look like a meat product to impress?

vegetarian sausageism, I do like that!
My point is that electric motors offer amazing torque and acceleration. Fans of the Electric TT get huge enjoyment out of it but there always has to be someone sneering from the sidelines quick to point out there limitations and make comparisons as if they were in a race with ICE engined bikes.
Accept it for what it is.

Anyway, cant stop, just out in my sausage car!

« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 08:17:12 AM by Bob Purton »

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 08:13:16 AM »
I don't see why electricity, when used for transport, gets labelled with "green sausagism". For thousands of years man has harnessed and utilised whatever energy is available, water, wind, animals, steam, electricity, internal combustion, rocket, jet, ion drive.

All self propelled vehicles have reduced range at high speed, electric ones still have a way to go but are catching up quite rapidly, IC has had over a century of intensive Research and Development, but is still grossly inefficient. However, I agree that electricity is still far less green than sometomes supposed when you add in factors like power stations/recharging, batteries and chemicals etc..

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 08:25:09 AM »
The difference being that you can charge a battery with renewable energy but you cant fuel a petrol or diesel car without digging up a dead dinosaur and setting fire to it.

I was reading a copy of autocar yesterday whilst waiting for my car to be MOT'ed and it said that hydrogen cells cars were to appear within the next couple of years. The government has set aside 18 million for filling stations in London, Birmingham and Manchester to get it started. Whether it will be that soon I dont know but its going to happen whether the dinosaurs like it or not. Once we have burned all the dinosaurs we will have little choice.
Better enjoy our petrol Microcars while we can!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 08:49:36 AM by Bob Purton »

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 08:59:49 AM »
I agree in principle, but "alternative" motive powers do have draw backs: you have to build the power stations/factories to re-charge them, to make the fuel cells and lots of other considerations. The real fact is that the human population and its demand for food and power is starting to outstrip our planet's ability to fullfill our requirements; switching to electric vehicles might prove less demanding than fossil fuels, but probably not enough to make a big difference to humanity's insatiable appetite for more possessions and more energy!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 09:36:02 AM »
I was not looking at the green credentials, since excess speed is not green.

But here electricity has an long ignored trump card. Thorum reactors. If it were not not for the need for weapons there is all likelihood we would have these now. Much safer, consume a poisonous waste product of rare earth mining, makes its own fuel and arguably a lot cleaner, definitely safer. A reactor was working here in, I think, 1948. The Americans sat on the research. The Chinese popped in for coffee, read the research, and are now planning to build a series of reactors, having got the info free. So they will lead the world in a technology we 'invented'. Brilliant! Idiots.

With Thorum backing up our generation network we could have electrified motorways, knocking back a lot of oil usage and with most folk owning a Priuus type car. Maybe the commuter routes would be done too. It would have bought driver-less cars into play buy now. The powers that be and the multinationals are not interested in green. They just play a game and use it to gather taxation and control people.

What with that and our position and energy resources there is absolutely no need for an energy shortage in the UK. We are blessed with energy to spare, but we seem to either not be allowed to use it or invest in it in a sensible way. When you read up on such things you realise what a daft and greedy world we live in. 

Meanwhile my Solar panels have caused trouble as they are generating 'to much' power. I am to be inspected. No, it happens my array is 3% off perfect positioning and installation in a sunny micro climate on the Golden Ridge - why I wanted to live here. Why the fuss. Well the Utilities do not really want this energy as it arrives when they do not really need it. The deal is funded by the tax man, yep you pay me through your bills and tax. It's great getting money off the taxman, but he really hates paying the money out. So much whinging as my array is performing at a level the salesmen said it would......Yes, that suggests much in itself, does it not.

The fact is that this half year of contract has financed a ride on lawn mower. The array should pay off on year 9. I am being green in the current way, but is it really green? For me yes. My lecky bill for last quarter was £8.17.

Mike Ayriss pointed out the wisdom of investigating in the array. You do need to insure you live in a sunny spot, facing the right way and to get a good return, your best having the max residential 6 Kw array of 16 panels. I am happy to introduce you to a good trustworthy supplier. I am tempted to obtain a 20Kw commercial array on my shedding if the deal is right.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 12:05:47 PM »
Wow, that's impressive Al.
Free electricity to cook ones vegetarian sausages and possibly run an electric ride on lawn mower.
To be honest, I'm not a very green person, we only have a g-wiz because it suits our needs as a local run about. Its done the job well for 5 years now.