Author Topic: Exhaust paint  (Read 4835 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Exhaust paint
« on: July 10, 2015, 10:05:07 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good heat proof exhaust paint? I have been driving Bobette around now that its all taxed and insured and of course all the paint is coming off the silencer I made!

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
Re: Exhaust paint
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 10:21:59 AM »
Hi Bob,
Great to hear Bobette is on the road. Have fun.
Back in 1976 I just used ordinary black Dulux on the Tourette exhaust. Did it last I ask myself?
I wonder if this stuff would last on your Bobette? It it a shiny metal exhaust you made?
 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Simoniz-Very-Termperature-Paint-500ml/dp/B003N9QL8U
Rob.
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 11:27:23 AM »
Hi Rob. I am having fun and slowly solving the teething problems one at a time. I'm just left with a chain snatching problem now that occurs sometimes when under strain in first and sometimes second gear. I've tried various settings of chain tension which did nothing so now am going to tweek sprocket alinement's and see if that cures it.

I would imagine the Dulux lasted about as long as the stuff I used Rob, about 3 miles! ;D

Think I have used Sperex before on a down pipe a long time ago. Anyone used anything good recently?

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 12:14:10 PM »
I had a similar problem about 3 years ago:  all the "exhaust" paints seemed to have disappeared off the market.  I did find black, but I like silver downpipes, and prefer silver silencers, too.

I then found (on eBay) a tin of silver exhaust paint (up to 450C, it says), which has worked well.  Put on a clean surface, it doesn't flake off, though does thin over time.  Re-coating in situ is easy, though, as it's water-thin and non-sticky, if you're quick.

I've just dug out the tin, and notice that it's labelled in a fairly low-budget way (so perhaps the seller was selling on in small quantities, from a bought in larger supply?).  Anyway ... all it says by way of supplier's identification is:
SMC systems    T:  07407 710 157   E: smcsytems@hotmail.co.uk

(Note that I have spelled the email address exactly as shown.  I suspect, though, that it should have an 's' in the middle!)

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 01:10:27 PM »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

super-se7en (Malc Dudley)

• Quite Chatty
  • Two Frisky sports
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 01:39:58 PM »
I have used Halfords high temperature black spray paint with reasonable results.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 02:00:17 PM »
I had mine powder coated and hope that will work , will it ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 02:26:01 PM »
I've heard that BBQ paint works well.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 03:32:55 PM »
household eggshell ? it works on the Bond silencer , but the front pipe gets too warm .(there's always stainless 8))

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 04:08:04 PM »
Frost list several VHT paints, with this one specifically for headers and in a range of colours. No idea if it's any good though!

http://www.frost.co.uk/automotive-paint-coating-electroplating/automotive-paint/vht-paints/vht-very-high-temperature-flame-proof-paints-11oz-312g.html

Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 05:05:35 PM »
This company offers a service where they coat your exhaust in a ceramic finish. Not cheap mind you.

http://www.performance1coatings.com/pricing/
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 05:55:42 PM »
Thanks for all the leads chaps. I forgot to mention, its a black satin finish I want and just on the silencer. The down pipe is chromed as I used a Greeves one..
Will report back with results.

Big Jim

• Occasional
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 03:18:41 PM »
Hycote and Simoniz both do a VHT paint that should be available in any Motor Factors, I have used both and they work fine but they tend to be more matt than satin finish.
If at first you don't succeed, try a bigger hammer.
If that doesn't work, you have an electrical problem.

Basket case

• Chatty
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 06:51:47 PM »
PJ1 fast black exhaust paint is good, especially on newly blasted metal. Re plastic coating - I've had this done to several motorcycle barrels and it's worked fine, but on exhausts it cracks and flakes off