Author Topic: Chrome plating.  (Read 8522 times)

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
Chrome plating.
« on: June 19, 2015, 10:42:03 PM »
Any of you chaps got some recommendations? I have been recommended the London Chroming Company, although not cheap they do very good work.

Seen a couple of other outfits online that will give estimates from decent photographs.

1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Chrome plating.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 12:03:32 AM »
Got a bit difficult, by all accounts. REcommendation is best, but I have none.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 07:55:39 AM »
Not quite sure whether "London Chroming" or "Capital Chrome" is their new name or if they use both names, but I have used them several times for bubble car parts and drum parts, partly because they are a 5 minute walk from me.

They listen to requirements - like not polishing the underside of drum hardware which will never be seen, to keep price down. Polishing is a chore and adds a lot to the cost of plating so it is where you might have price flexibility!

If you want a great finish all over it will be full price and not cheap, but looks great.

I have also bought chrome steel tube from RS Electroplating (House of Chrome) on eBay and they have also plated raw steel tube for me for a very reasonable price. This was good enough for the purpose, but definitely not as deep and smooth as London/Capital, but then I did not need it to be!

High pice, high quality, or lower price, average quality ..make your choice according to how visible or visually important your parts are!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 01:31:21 PM »
RS electroplating was one of the places I found whilst browsing the web. They seem reasonably priced, and one of the few companies that shows prices for items replated.

I've sent of some pictures to them and also a company in Kent that specialize in refinishing mazak castings. I have a pair of original door handles. Don't see these fitted on many Isetta's, most tend to be fitted with the style I see for sale as reproductions, which has a very different less sculpted profile. If it isn't going to be too nasty getting it rechromed I will restore the original.

1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 03:06:05 PM »
have used Plaxtons , Scarborough (the coach builders) in the past , don't know if they are still plating ?

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 09:47:34 PM »
Got one quote back so far, from RS Chrome in Manchester. They won't touch monkey metal casings, but will do the bumpers for £350 +vat, delivery extra.

Those stainless steel bumpers from 'nam are looking ever more attractive. Lets see what the other companies quote.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 10:34:14 PM »
EeksI have heard this "£350" to chrome a bumper before and thought , hoped, it was apocryphal  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 10:38:55 PM »
Apocryphal, special designed for repairing corroded mazzak.

Time was I knew a restorer who shipped his chroming to South California, where it was done by disposable Mexicans I fear, and shipped back. This was cheaper and better quality than UK based facilities!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 10:57:11 PM »
If the other quotes come out the same, I think I'll look at the Harrington reproductions. I've read good and bad about them. The bad is that fit can be a bit of an issue, however I think there is more wiggle room with car like an Isetta than some others.
Apparently the Heinkel club uses their bumpers, and owners are very pleased with them.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 07:37:52 AM »
Treinkel, seem to be a bargain, the original bumpers aere very thin steel and to find a good set to chrome is very difficult. The pitting and such often require prior dippings and polishing before the chrome goes on. What price originality? In comparison the Isetta bumpers is like the Forth Bridge. Still has to have chrome stuck to it though, for a great finishing touch to a car. Cannot comment on fit.

I thought there were replica door handles. Maybe they are German pattern. Remember to take the lock bits out for chroming.....you would be surprised. The handles have a bad habit of shearing off where the shank is inserted. Not helped when the handle has been in use slopperley mounted.

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 05:51:08 PM »
It seems Harrington have stopped doing the tubular cow catcher style bumpers, and are now only supplying the later style bumper that fits below the door. Not fond of that design, although more practical for parking.

Have asked Harrington if they supply the rear bumper alone.

Got a quote back from the Kent chroming company, £491 +VAT for the bumpers, and they will do the mazak door handle and bezel for an additional £74 +vat.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 05:54:47 PM »
I've obtained about half a dozen quotes now. They range from about £420 to around the £550 mark.

So I think I have a fairly good idea on what I'm in for price wise.

Harrington can supply a new stainless steel rear bumper with over riders for £165 shipped. However the tubular cow catcher bars on the front are no longer available from them. I have looked at companies offering mandrel bending, so that offers the potential to grow my own from Stainless steel, by fabricating a jig and some brackets then having them Tig welded to the tubes.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 06:45:00 PM »
My Isetta has stainless front bars made by the very process you mention.I know its not original but a pleasing compromise, no rust to worry about and they polish up very nicely. I use a firm in Norfolk. They have done me proud on a number of projects that involved tube bending.
Seen here.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 07:18:12 PM »
I always felt the tubular bumbers were part of the character of the Isetta. Never liked the blade bumper.

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 07:24:14 PM »
That's interesting to know, Bob.

Did you make a jig yourself and provide them with the radii?

Or did the company build them in entirety?
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.