Author Topic: Villiers 9e troubles  (Read 6977 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Villiers 9e troubles
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 12:00:38 PM »
The ignition light will come on for either direction, if the shunt has connected. The reverse light is to tell you your in reverse mode. Both should be out while the engine is running. I was going to ask if it was charging. Sounds like it is.

Spark plug gap - I think, crumbs memory, that a spark has to work harder to jump in the presence of fuel/air mix. its not a charged material, or in a state of excitement, nor is it conductive. So, theory, the density means it cannot leap as far. That is why a wet plug fails to work, as well as offering a shorter route to earth if there is a lot of carbon about. You can get a missfire with the charge nipping across the inner gap of the plug, not out where it can ignite the charge. I believe this is why platenium plugs were offered for in town driving, where deposits could build up and you did not get the chance to blatt that crap out. Living out in a rural area I found these plugs did not work for me but Neville Stevens and other city dwellers used them to better effect, I believe. I have rarely suffered a whiskered plug.

Always worth swapping a plug. They are not really quality items nowadays and I find you have to shuffle to find a good one. Indeed my box of cleaned second hand plugs often supplies a better plug than new! Bless the Trabbi and the recycled Jupiter plug.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 12:48:11 PM »
Yes, the light goes out when running for either direction [ I'm not that green! :)] . Just couldn't remember if the red light comes on as well as the green when flicked into reverse. You confirmed it should so all is well there. I tried several plugs yesterday with identical results so am pretty sure that's not it.

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 01:04:16 PM »
just a though , during the re-build a timing cam from a Twin has not taken residence ???

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 01:54:50 PM »
Narrrr.  This is an old Scootacar engine that Andy Hammond thrashed until it the clutch went. Its been undisturbed until I bought it and did the rebuild. Anyway, surely a wrong cam would effect its running all the time not just sometimes.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2015, 04:33:13 PM »
Fuel tank breather.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2015, 05:53:36 PM »
Happy to report the problem solved!  I made up a new earth cable and connected it from battery to engine casing and immediate the engine sounded like it was running better. After a few blasts up and down my road to get it nice and hot I switched off, restarted in reverse and forward several times and all was well. I did close the plug gap a little too as advised but it wasnt a big gap anyway so I'm positive it was the bad earth that was causing the problem.
Yet again Big Al is the hero of the piece! Thanks Al and remember you are welcome to sign onto the sister forum any time.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2015, 06:37:35 PM »
I wish I could fix my own cars! Contrariwise and know-how, as the phrase has it. 

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2015, 06:50:26 PM »
 ;D   Well if you ever need a mercury barometer or a Wimshurst machine sorting out, I'm your man.
Thanks again.

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2015, 08:20:28 PM »
dont know what on EARTH all the fuss was about   8)