Author Topic: Bond Minicar seat - shaken not stirred ?  (Read 6949 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Bond Minicar seat - shaken not stirred ?
« on: June 23, 2015, 03:39:55 PM »
I am one very happy bunny ! Just collected my brand new , but traditionally sprung , seat base . The company Wade Spring of Nottingham was recommended in the last Bond Info and I have had one made for the Bond Minicar MK D . It is FABULOUS and at £ 122 inc . I collected it ( £25 for p&p if I needed which I didn't ) pictures will follow - I just didn't know you could still get them done as the old Bond contact ceased trading some time ago .
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Bond Minicar seat - shaken not stirred ?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 04:00:33 PM »
Nice one!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 08:06:33 PM »
no more sore bum's  :o

(post the pictures - they might get another order!)

Alan

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 08:24:53 PM »
Bond is a comfy car when allowed to be.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 04:53:32 PM »
as per original i believe as John Johnson provided his C/D  to Wades for reference , they keep a copy of it and i just ordered a Bond Minicar seat
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 05:31:04 PM »
possibly too many photos but Plas Man , and others , can see the full job .If Bond seats/covers are consistant what a lovely idea taking the covers and padding off a saggy old seat and replacing with a new one - an afternoons work , but surely life cannot be that easy can it  :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 05:44:15 PM by richard »

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 08:26:23 PM »
many thanks for sharing the photo's , I wonder if they make the seat back's , it would be better than my 'flat' bum foam effort (ex BMC 1100 rear seat !) , the seat bag and padding is a easy make , as my seat's are one piece leatherette ,  thus no stitching to snag when getting in and out of the car .

Alan.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 09:01:56 PM »
They only had a seat base of johns . They will make any sprung unit but you would have to chat to them about details send me a pm I could give more details . Is the back of the seat a sprung unit as well - if so who has one we could have copied ?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 09:24:56 PM »
Just a quicky . The Gordon seats are of this type also and I had base and back remade years ago . I had the Gordon seats recovered and they are really nice but ....... The piping used was a brilliant modern white on the red vinyl , I had always wanted an off white as original . Sounds picky but they really don't look that "period " - any ideas on how to turn brilliant white plastic piping into off white ? That is other than ageing it in the sun forever .

Big Jim

• Occasional
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 09:59:30 PM »
This may sound like a silly reply but try masking the seat and painting it using acrylic paint through an airbrush. I changed the colour on some vinyl trim on a Jag XJS that way when I couldn't get a match.
If at first you don't succeed, try a bigger hammer.
If that doesn't work, you have an electrical problem.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 10:34:12 PM »
Well it's an idea I hadn't thought of ! Hmmm thanks . Part of the problem is that I always pictured the car in Old English White and the clash is awful . Thanks , something to consider . Bob would have it of course that if I had left them in the sun since I had them recovered they would be aged naturally by now !!  ;D

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 10:58:53 PM »
£122 does sound like superb value - maybe if I was a spring maker, I would say it was the going rate, but that looks like good value to an amateur.

Big Jim

• Occasional
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 11:39:56 PM »
Well it's an idea I hadn't thought of ! Hmmm thanks

Well I did say it might sound a bit silly. ;D

I only used it when I needed to replace a centre console in a car with dark blue trim and none could be found, it was sort of an emergency, s**t or bust type bodge but it did work and the paint stayed on. I appreciate it might be a harder job on a bit of piping.

Dye would be hard to get onto the piping itself without leaching onto the main seat material. And I don't know how well a dye would work on vinyl.

If at first you don't succeed, try a bigger hammer.
If that doesn't work, you have an electrical problem.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 12:07:08 PM »
whilst on business in Morecambe this week, Hi-di-hi Bonders , I saw a skip and associated rubbish by the side of the road and wondered as you do , how easy would it be to make ones own car seat from a discarded mattress ?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 02:51:21 PM »
I'm no expert but I would imagine the construction of a mattress would be quite different from car seat. Besides, you may fall asleep on it! ;D