Author Topic: Is it a microcar?  (Read 7928 times)

robadob

Is it a microcar?
« on: October 22, 2005, 08:23:32 PM »
Hi there Bubblers,After reading the section in RUMCAR NEWS , (Is it a Microcar?), The old grey cells went into overdrive!!! A car has a steering wheel, right? So where does that leave all you lads and lasses with Messerschmitts,Scootacars and Bajajs, plus many more with HANDLEBARS!!!!† Are they Micro CARS? Come on ,give me some answers. bobadob. P.S. The ABC tricar----- is it a minimicro or a micromini ?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 09:08:08 PM by robadob »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Is it a microcar?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 11:50:14 PM »
Well everyone has their own idea of what defines a microcar. A microcar to me is a very small car driven by a motorcycle or scooter derived engine, it doesnt matter how many wheels it has or or if it has steering bar or a wheel. To me cars like the fiat 500 or the goggomobile as much as I like them are minicars. I guess the Americans have the right idea by calling their club the microcar and minicar club and that covers the lot! Talking about the ABC mini conversion three wheeler, I remember there being one in Hornchurch where I live in the sixties, I remember my dad cruising slowly past it in his reliant regal [minicar]  :) saying he fancied one but wouldnt be able to fit us kids in it. I think the owner was a relative of our own Morris Rogers.  Well thats my shout , what say you others?  Bob Purton

burford57

• The Devonport Collection of Crap and Classics
  • Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 04:16:50 PM »
OI!  Hands off the Bajaj!  Hope you can read this - as a new kid on the electronic block there are bound to be some glitches in my postings.  What a cracking discussion forum, well done to all concerned.  Hi to Jean, Bob2flippers (you know who you are!), Stuart (welcome to the 21st century), Bob Purton and many others.  I look forward to reading more but right now I have to go and chop some more rust out of my camper floor.
Mitsubago L300 camper van, Honda PC50, Mobylette AV32, Mobylette AV92, Motoconfort X7, Moto Graziella Cheeky Boy, Poirier Manulette MS6 invalid trike, Puch Maxi, Raleigh Wisp, VeloSoleX 5000, VeloSoleX 3300, Power Pak, Cyclemaster & Raleigh RM6.

robadob

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 06:28:01 PM »
Hello burford 57, Great to have you aboard. I must make an appointment to view your collection of vehicles sometime. Thanks for the photocopy." Flipper House" is at the bottom of the garden. I call the house  "Higgledy-Piggledy", as you must know by now I am always in a muddle. Bob D.

riccalljim

• Just Starting
    • www.micromaniacsclub.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 08:09:13 PM »
Well, the old " what is a microcar" debate has come up again I see!
some years ago the definition was put forward by a Micromaniacs member who shall remain nameless
that in order to qualify as a microcar the vehicle in question had to:
1. Invoke in small children a certain jeering derision.
2. be capable of popping and farting at the drop of a small lightly feathered hat.
3. emit a noxious cloud of two-stroke causing coughing fits in senior citizens.
4.Be incapable of speeds conversany with that of modern traffic.
5. Be impossible to exit  and enter in a dignified fashion.
6. have an engine that can be carried easily in the boot.

But... as always there are the debates that will go on... size clearly has nothing to do with it. A bond Minicar is longer than an Austin mini ( the old type) A Wartburg has all the attributes of a micro except the extra cylinder pushes it over the limit but is scorned, a Davis is seen in many circles as the ultimate American Microcar - but look at the engine size. so the best bet I have found is - if you think it's a micro then who am I to argue!!
Bond Mk C, Trabant 601, CZ175 - oh yes and the Da*n Picasso

barchetta

• Chatty
  • ready for a road run summer 2006
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 08:19:40 PM »
Re the definition, I think it would be a shame to exclude anyone who believed they had a micro but were then told otherwise,The 700cc limit is interesting ( my latest project had either a 633cc engine or a 767cc engine depending on the year it was produced)as it would allow the fiat 126 aircooled but not the watercooled version and the 126 is one of the few micros that the more financially challenged enthusiast can afford.

Theres two 'groups' in our hobby; the minicar drivers who usually use their car to drive to rallys (reliants,bugs,fiat 500's and 126's,NSU's etc) and the microcar owners who are the motorhome owners who will bring their microcars on trailers to the rallys.Theres are notable exceptions such as John and Juliet who have driven thousands of miles in their Bond and Terrys jaunt across Spain in his Isetta.I can fully understand microcar drivers being unhappy driving on A roads ,I've witnessed two or three near misses where drivers of modern cars misjudge our more sedate pace.
 Anyone driving long distances in a small micro should be congratulated
 The american clubs are microcar and minicar clubs and are all inclusive,however if we did that we'd end up with a rally field full of minis! they've only got a few so it doesn't really matter .

The microcar enthusiast is definitely an inclusive type of fellow and if someone turns up is something small and interesting they will get a great welcome.

Fiat 500L ,Motobecane 40T & 51V ,Victoria Vicky 117,Trojan Mini-motor,, Honda p50 ,PC50 and NF75, BSA Bantam D10,Raleigh Wisp,Raleigh RM4 ,Garelli Katia and Eurika,