Author Topic: Hello (again, possibly)  (Read 2597 times)

Big Jim

• Occasional
Hello (again, possibly)
« on: June 27, 2015, 03:45:13 PM »
Hello everyone,
I think I may have joined this forum before (well my username and email were known) but I can't remember ever posting.

I am the owner of a Nobel 200 in as found condition.

The story behind the car is quite interesting. The chap I acquired it from about 8 years ago bought it for his wife in the early 1960's for the total price of £10 and a pint of Manns Mild.

He took it home and she took one look at it and said "if you f*****g think I am going to get in that....."

And there it sat...

As a child in the early 1980's I remember playing in it.

About 8 years ago I asked the chap if he still had it, the answer was yes and if I wanted it it could be mine for the same price, sadly Manns Mild Ale was out of production so we settled on £10 and a bottle of Guiness!

The only problem was that the access lane to the chaps back garden had been built on. I gathered up a gang of hefty mates and we made the trip from west Wales to Hertfordshire with a trailer. After my friends had stopped laughing we had to move three fences, one garden shed and carry the car over a large fishpond and the foundations for an extension.

The little beastie is now sat in a lock up waiting for ressurection. The only thing I have done in remove the engine to allow me to try and unseize it. The engine is now apart but the piston is still jammed in the cylinder.

I haven't touched it for around 5 years but after I made noises about selling it a couple of the lads who helped me  fetch it persuaded me not to.

So here I am, any help in finding a source of parts, or even a non stuck engine would be greatly appreciated.

The funny thing was, when my wife first clapped eyes on it I heard "if you f*****g think I am going to get in that...." 

Times change, but I don't think wives do!

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 05:04:19 PM by Big Jim »
If at first you don't succeed, try a bigger hammer.
If that doesn't work, you have an electrical problem.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Hello (again, possibly)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 04:22:50 PM »
 :) what is the engine then ?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 04:24:46 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Jim

• Occasional
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 04:25:06 PM »
The mighty Sachs 200

Big Jim

• Occasional
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 04:31:11 PM »
Just checked my old posts, I did post about 5 years ago. I mentioned that I had sent the engine away for repair, well it went to a local chap and came back 12 months later untouched. Rotten Blighter!

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 05:23:41 PM »
Bob had a similarly seized piston a few years ago which took a bit of shifting. This old thread might give you some ideas.

http://www.rumcars.org/forum/index.php?topic=3265.msg22019#msg22019
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 06:47:55 PM »
Hi Jim, There is a section of Nobels on the Register of Unusual Microcars which is ably overseen by Mike Ayriss.  He has rebuilt his own Nobel and has also had various components re-manufactured,so he would be a person to make contact with at  Michael.ayriss@virgin.net  You may find that your car is already on our Register which was created in 1980 has been continuously added to ever since so  we may have back ground history about your car unknown to yourself.  Details about the Register and the magazine can be found on the web site www.rumcars.org Whilst the web site  has not been updated recently, these essentials are still correct. So we look forward to hearing from you.  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 07:54:07 PM »
Good news. Sachs bits are available. Bad news, at silly prices if your not careful. Much else is pretty simple so home doable. Me, I would chuck the engine in some 'diesel' for a month. It penetrates quite well.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 08:22:55 PM »
Welcome (back) Jim!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Jim

• Occasional
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 08:27:31 PM »
Thanks for the replies folks.

I need to get something  moving with it. I want to get it to running condition and then do a gradual 'spiv-up' of the body.

I doesn't help that I have very little time, with work and outside interests, and a family, and a landrover to restore etc, etc.

I will try and get some pictures posted for you all to have a good laugh at.

Jim