Author Topic: Help wanted.  (Read 6985 times)

NickPoll

• Quite Chatty
Help wanted.
« on: July 03, 2015, 08:16:31 AM »
I was wondering if someone can store four small old French sans permis cars for me for about a month. They are for an American bloke. He will pay £10 per car per week. The reason I ask is because I'm coming over to UK within the next ten days and can drop them off. In roughly a month I will return and pick them up and deliver them to Southampton docks. Can anyone help by storing them please ?
Messerschmitt Tiger 500, KR201 roadster, 1955 KR200, 1958 KR200, 1959 KR200, 1964 KR200, Nobel 200, Morgan Super Sports, Goggo Coupe, Isetta 300, Velorex 350, Bond mk D, Lomax.

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
Re: Help wanted.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 09:45:26 AM »
Hello Nick,
I live in Polegate, East Sussex on the A27 roughly in the middle of Dover to Southampton and a few miles east of Newhaven port.
I also have a 20 x 10 foot shed that is nearly empty that can only be accessed by going through my garage. If this would be of help.
Rob Dobie.
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

NickPoll

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 10:25:49 AM »
Hello Rob, That's perfect, thank you. I'll accept. I'll be in touch in about a week. regards, Nick.
Messerschmitt Tiger 500, KR201 roadster, 1955 KR200, 1958 KR200, 1959 KR200, 1964 KR200, Nobel 200, Morgan Super Sports, Goggo Coupe, Isetta 300, Velorex 350, Bond mk D, Lomax.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 11:06:19 AM »
Didn't realise you were coming over Nick.
I am just having a small car picked up from Brittany, could have added it to your load perhaps :)
Happy to store your cars in the open  / under cover but Suffolk is a lot further away than Rob.

Always happy to help if I can.

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 10:54:25 PM »
Strange. For some reason the cars never got to my place  :o

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 11:37:32 AM »
I am the American "bloke" that Nick was referring to.
In my excitement about receiving these fascinating and even by micro car standards, truly tiny tots- I failed to consider the fact that with average dimensions of only 1 meter by 2 meters, all 4 fit into a single car garage space.   Also in my haste, my brain skipped over the fact that we were offering pounds instead of dollars.

At that rate I could make $10,000/ yr simply renting out my 3 garage spaces at my home.
That is more than the bottom line on my last few tax returns.
That means I wouldn't have needed to go to work for the last three years.
That means that I could have gotten all my micros all fixed up and running well by now, so my barn would be filled by a well sorted and fully functional fleet worthy of exhibition.

These re considerations are truly beginning to depress me as I am writing this.

Perhaps Nick considered the over all non economy of paying per tiny vehicle instead of by the one full car space that they would require, and felt embarrassed about retracting my offer.

My most sincere apologies to both you and Nick for allowing the offer to be made in the first place.
I actually rent the exact same dimensioned space from my neighbor for the very neighborly sum of $25/ month, whereas a less neighborly sum of $100/ month is often heard.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 11:53:41 AM by steven mandell »

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 04:49:56 PM »
Be interesting to hear about the cars ?

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 06:15:37 PM »
Strange. For some reason the cars never got to my place  :o
They didn't reach me either?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 09:32:51 AM »
Not guilty either. I expect it was expedient to have them hosted as near to the shipper as possible. The shippers tend not to like having things laying about before they are ready, but they want everything there the minute they are into loading mode. So a location where all can be shuttled to the shipper in one easy day would seem favourable.

Costs

A council garage around here is anything from £12 to £16 a week. That gives you a rate of a bit over £4 sq ft a year, at the cheaper value. Commercial Units are more than that, and the Council Garage value is used as a yardstick by a lot of casual renters of space. So cheaper than that is good. (I have a shed at £2.30 a sq ft, with a free mezzanine I built in it taking storage of cars down to £1.50 a sq ft per year for the 800 sq ft. Very good). So ignoring insurance etc, a 10 week storage probably has to start from £150, if it fills the council garage space, and no margin is added.

Looking at it the other way, storage attached to automotive businesses can be about £15 a day for a car in a park ferme, outside. The classic car storage outfits with air con buildings are on about £15 a day, depending on contract terms. The latter would be just over £1,000 for 10 weeks, for the same council garage space

Finding economic storage is tricky. We live in a crowded country, and rates are getting higher on official commercial premises. So I would expect our storage rates to be in excess of most other countries. This is why one's personal and private shedding is so important. I am forever talking to folk who describe their investment in a collection as successfully gaining value, but they are not including the erosion of the alleged increase in value by the cost of storage. Add in other costs of logistics, as they might not be stored at home, the reduction in Currency values, the £pound by 15% since 2009, for instance, and you might find your actually looking at a loss, dear investor. The enthusiast will take the hit, as it is part of the cost of his hobby.

No idea on what the arrangements here were. I made an offer as I had space in my overflow shed, but Rob offered first. Clearly another arrangement was already agreed, as I heard no more. The space is now being used by another collector who is marshalling stuff. He is 'paying' via a favour.

Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 12:58:29 PM »
The shed is now up for grabs. FREE. See Off Topic Lounge.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 05:33:01 PM »
I saw. I  major decision there, Rob. Maybe the right one. I feel every man should have his shed, but maybe there comes a day when he should not. I just moved one of my inherited sheds to its new position, a second is to go next to it shortly. I looked at it and thought, if I cannot do cars it would still do for a OO gauge diorama (I am not really a model railway user,  but I always loved making scale models, be they kits or scratch built).
Not sure I could live without sheds. I would still like then if I was incapacitated. Let out to other people to use and at least enjoy what they were doing in the sheds. Britain is a land that owes much of its very existence to men in sheds.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 10:40:27 AM »
Storage, a non commodity, is expensive, but a beautiful storage building is free.
What is missing from the above equation?

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 11:51:28 AM »
Storage, a non commodity, is expensive, but a beautiful storage building is free.
What is missing from the above equation?

Land and opportunity costs?

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 12:58:09 PM »
And they cars are ?

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 04:26:57 PM »
Didn't mean to ignore you Steve.
Nick will be sending pics soon, as I need documentation of condition prior to shipment.
Then I will see how well they post.
Don't want to spoil the surprise in the meantime. ;)