Author Topic: virgo not running, no spark  (Read 4305 times)

MikeRoMan

• Just Starting
virgo not running, no spark
« on: July 03, 2015, 11:20:17 AM »
Hi,
I recently bought a Virgo as I wanted a narrow car to fit down my drive. It seemed great fun to drive, but now it won't spark. I replaced the coil, but no difference, the resistance of both coil packs is the same. I put a multimeter on the lead to the coil input on AC volts, but could dettect no signal.

Has anyone got any ideas I could try?

Also, does anyone know how to remove the airbox &/or change the filter, as whatever I try I cant seem to get it over both prongs of the carb, or how to get the filter apart.
Thanks

Mike

« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:41:42 AM by MikeRoMan »

Barry

• Prolific Poster
Re: virgo not running, no spark
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 01:13:43 PM »
I cant help with the spark but the filter does not come apart. 
A genuine replacement is a fortune but there are other very simlar filters that can be fitted.
You may need to drill a few holes in the plastic case and other mods.

I am not an expert so a quick surf of the net (Reliant) should come up trumps.

MikeRoMan

• Just Starting
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 06:17:21 PM »
Thanks,

Managed to get the air filter off by undoing the two prongs/bolts to the carb.
Surely, a K&N cleanable bike style carb should fit?

I believe there is a sender from the camshaft, presumably this would stop working if the cam belt broke. Is there an easy way to check?

Is there a manual on line anywhere, I found one for the MC1 but not for the Virgo.

Cheers

johnt

• Just Starting
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 09:32:21 PM »
Air filter from a mk2 Renault 5 will fit.On mine I removed the two studs from the top of the carb and replaced them with a single length of threaded bar and a washer and nut on top.

johnt

• Just Starting
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 09:43:42 PM »
Manuals can be found on Yahoo groups.Look for Aixam and Microcar-Quadricycles B1.they then come under the files section.Hope this helps.

1bubble10 (paul smith)

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 10:58:40 PM »
With regards the no spark it could be a number of thing - starting with the easiest and working backwards - try the following:-
(i) replacement spark plugs.
(ii) replacement coils.
(iii) replacement crankshaft position sensor.
Good luck with that one.
The original air filter is a disposable item and expensive to replace (can't just change the element). When I had mine I bought a K&N filter which was a cleanable and re-useable unit (fitted to the carb with a jubilee clip. However, there is the issue of the engine case breather that connected to the original air filter housing - I bought an oil collector and connected the breather to that and just emptied the collector from time to time.

If you go the K&N route match it up with the diameter of the carb inlet.
Bamby P50, Piaggio Ape 50

MikeRoMan

• Just Starting
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 06:13:23 PM »
Thanks for the help... the manual and tips were really helpful... but still no spark. I think it may be the hall probe?

How do you get the crank pully wheel off to get to it? The manual talks about a special tool which I do not have.

Many thanks.

MikeRoMan

• Just Starting
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 10:47:01 AM »
Thanks for the help guys... I got it running.... it needed a new Hall probe sensor... a bugger to fit.

It ran fin for a bit, but I took it out for a longer run, 30 miles and it developed what I presume is a misfire... can't seem to find out why. I presume it is electrical, so will try substituting some parts.

If anyone has any helpful tips, I would be very pleased to know.

Cheers

MikeRoMan

• Just Starting
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 06:12:40 PM »
atm it has NGK BK R5E plugs, are other plugs suitable? It runs fine for a few mins, then seems to go onto one cylinder with almost no power. Maybe it is running hotter with a different air filter?? Any ideas?
Cheers