Author Topic: Watsonian Bambox MkII  (Read 2520 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Watsonian Bambox MkII
« on: July 03, 2015, 11:37:30 AM »
My dyslexia lets me down here. To search you need to spell. That is a problem with made up words. Scootersean, or a version of that, asked to be notified when I finally got the, I believe to be, ex RAC Watsonian Bambox MkII together in one place. I at last have managed to do this, finding the last bits over the Mushy.

It has a GRP body, sectioned into compartments with ply bonded in. The large rectangular lid is hinged to one long edge, lock on the other, and has a tubular rack on top. The body is mounted to a double rail chassis using two wood spacers (It might be that it will run an 8 inch wheel on a common hub with the body mounted lower). The mounting for the bike is a classic Watsonian steel disc with four holes in it. To date the bike mount I thought I had has not surfaced and I think I must have let it go with the last sidecar I sold, prior to getting this one. I have the suspension mount, hub and assembly, pretty simple arrangement. The hub mounts a 10 inch wheel that is to all intents and purposes an Isetta wheel. The sidecar has front, rear and parking light.
The condition is requiring restoration. The GRP has one clipped corner on the lower wheel arch, a small hole in the floor and stress cracking and minor impact damage from stones. The steel has all had surface rust but is solid and will go again. Minor wood rot, will go again. The original paint looks consistent with this being an RAC sidecar in blue. It has been over painted in white.
A hard thing to value as I suspect it is either very rare, or unique. With a well chosen Scooter, or Motorcycle, it will be a show stealer restored. I was going to put it on a Hienkel, will not fit a Prior as they are not ideal handed for British chairs. Its not going to happen. Better it finds a person who can create the most out of a nice bit of tackle.
It should be ready to view from next weekend 11/12th - busy rally weekend, builders allowing. Pic to come, as it might be interesting even if you do not want a sidecar.

Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Watsonian Bambox MkII
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 03:03:23 PM »
Here's a sad picture of one from 1969 taken from this site

http://www.watsonian-squire.de/
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 03:20:06 PM »

Or this, but this looks like a MkI still.

Is that Thunderbirds uniform, or RAC?

I think the picture is now part of a large double roundabout thing in Woodside, Berks
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 03:30:24 PM by Big Al »
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 03:41:30 PM »

One type of Watsonian scooter mounting. Note the round disc mount with four bolts. Both sides of the mounting had this and a rubber gasket was placed between them and clamped up. So you need this, or one of the other mounts appropriate to your bike to mount this sort of sidecar.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 10:21:30 PM »
Easier to search  bambox - skootashaun is it?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 11:49:09 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

skootashaun

• Chatty
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 11:17:36 PM »
Hi Al,
It was me.
Thanks for the heads up.
Viewing is not a worry, a picture od the box/chassis is fine.
I will give you a 100% guaranteed answer on the strength of the pics.
I DO NOT ever tyre kick and mess about.
Curiosity desires me to know the shape, I know the pics above show the early shapely sidecar, there also a later style with a wavy built in sidepanel, and even a Royal navy version, more boxy with the standard sideays lifting lid.
Pricewise you originally valued it at £650 with bracket.
So, if you would be so kind to find a piccy it would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Shaun.
yup yup rabbit yup yup yup rabbit rabbit bunny jabber yup rabbit bunny yup yup yup rabbit bunny jabber yup yup yup rabbit bunny jabber yup yup bunny jabber rabbit

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 08:11:04 AM »
OK will get pics done initially. Moving a bit slow as I am under the DR again for further leg infection caused by damage while working. So no car at Bath either. Will try for next weekend.

skootashaun

• Chatty
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 10:30:29 PM »
OK will get pics done initially. Moving a bit slow as I am under the DR again for further leg infection caused by damage while working. So no car at Bath either. Will try for next weekend.

Ohh ow Al.
Don't bust a gut as they say, I can wait a coupla weeks.
I am in Italy for the end of the month, but will keep checking in.
I have just my first bout of gout  :o
Ooh, I thought it was for overweight port drinkers, I was wrong and it bloody well hurt  :(

Shaun.
yup yup rabbit yup yup yup rabbit rabbit bunny jabber yup rabbit bunny yup yup yup rabbit bunny jabber yup yup yup rabbit bunny jabber yup yup bunny jabber rabbit

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 10:48:38 PM »
Yep, it is. Uric crystals in the joints. So to many broad beans can do me in, as they are full of nitrates. Pity, I love 'em. Handy to find out what triggers you off. Sometimes it can be that simple.

skootashaun

• Chatty
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 11:00:08 PM »
Yep, it is. Uric crystals in the joints. So to many broad beans can do me in, as they are full of nitrates. Pity, I love 'em. Handy to find out what triggers you off. Sometimes it can be that simple.

Ooh, can't stand broad beans, so it wasn't that  :D
But it deffo was something.
pills the doc gave cleared it in one and a half days, so time off work and no more pain was a welcome relief.
Gave me more time to indulge in 2 strokes in the garage  ;D

Hope you are up and about again shortly.
Shaun.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 10:02:22 AM »
Don't call me Shortly. Nicked from Airplane.