Author Topic: Sachs Engine  (Read 11468 times)

Big Jim

• Occasional
Re: Sachs Engine
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2015, 12:25:21 PM »
Burette?
Que?
Is a small female donkey no?

(with apologies to Andrew Sachs)
If at first you don't succeed, try a bigger hammer.
If that doesn't work, you have an electrical problem.

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2015, 11:43:04 AM »
still no manual , but have come across a Nobel BP lubrication chart - laminated for garage use - Foolscap size ( that's bigger than A4 for the young ones !)

That would be very interesting to see.
( also have one for Mk C/D Bond Minicar )

« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 11:44:40 AM by plas man »

Big Jim

• Occasional
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2015, 06:58:19 PM »
Ooo. That's rather nice that is.
I am surprised that BP thought it worth doing a lube chart for such a small number of cars.
Thanks for posting the picture

Jim

Big Jim

• Occasional
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2015, 07:19:56 PM »
I have found a file of info on my car that I had forgotten that I had. In it is various bits and bobs, including a pair of Nobel manuals! One is sadly water damaged and the other is a period copy from a garage in Luton. Various Sachs manuals, pricelists etc. Plus the original Bill of Sale for the car and its last MOT form 1964 along with the original Log Book!!!!!

Yippie ;D

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2015, 08:37:39 PM »
remembering some 1960's years ago , the local council put new trafic lights on the corner of Clairville Common/Croydon Road , Middlesbrough ,  this unknown to myself - who was comming towards the new lights doing the 30 mph'ish at the time - but the road was on a bend , and the lights changed to red , so on went the brakes - the car stopped , lights changed to green , then as I set off the Nobel veered to the left , upon inspection at the road side it was found that on hard braking whilst cornering the rack/pinion had bent and smashed the alloy housing on the steering !     
Spares was only a couple of days away from ''2 Strokes Ltd'' (nuff' sed !)
Then some weeks later some almighty screeching from the rear , only to find a collapest wheel bearing - but it also cost me a new alloy bearing housing , wheel bearings , and drive chain , all from that well known dealers as above !!
also in the order was a set of new points - impossible ! , still never fitted .
not finished yet ! , one day whilst climbing the bank (1 in 4) at Saltburn , it decided to fall over on the first corner , lucky there was a couple of holiday makers who righted me and the car and checked me for damage , needles to say that was the end of my adventures in a Nobell 200.

the best thing to come out of it was sell it and buy Bond Mk D EEF 550 has been with me since  :)

Alan

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2015, 08:55:47 AM »
Yep, Bond Mk D trumps a Nob. Its Microcar Top Trumps.

Hmm, revisiting the Nob that went straight on and never handled. I wonder if it had a bent steering rack. Not something that entered my head to look at. Would I have noticed while rebuilding the daft through the floor U thing? Doing this was what persuaded me that the engineering on these cars was possibly the worst of the mainstream German offerings. While no fan of the Isetta it has the power to potter along at its design speeds without great stress and I could understand its faults in the light of what they were attempting to do. My feeling is the Hienklel does most of them better. The Nob just does not make sense as there were already better ways to do what it did. I am sure that is why the business was offered as a franchise, rather than marketing a German based product. Smart move.

Bonds are not perfect but they stand far more use than the materials would suggest might be possible. One up to Mr Bond.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2015, 09:35:26 AM »
Bending the rack and pinion by cornering and braking heavily?  Sorry but that makes no sense to me. Cant see how its possible. For one, there is no such thing as heavy braking in a Nobby! ;D
How comes these things dont happen to vintage Nobel drivers like Mike Ayriss, Ray Dilks, Nick Poll, Bob Cotton , me and others driving cars that are much older now?  The rack is a solid bar of 1" diameter steel with the teethe cut into it, you couldnt bend it if you hit it with a sledge hammer, the casing is a thick solid casting and all the steering joints are rubber bushes which would absorb any sudden stresses.
There must be some other explanation. Maybe Uri Geller was the previous owner? ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:01:49 AM by Bob Purton »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2015, 10:49:25 AM »
I think the clue is that this car was later turned over. So it was being driven hard in the days when it was current transport, impressing the ladies. Out esteemed Nob navigators are driving the cars with the skill and benefit of there being Classic Cars, and not needed for other than the enjoyment of ownership. Also getting your Nob out does not impress the ladies like it used to!  It does sound like a rather remarkable failure though.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Jim

• Occasional
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2015, 02:39:59 PM »
The strip down goes on.
Does anyone know how the chain case is removed? I think I have removed all the exterior fastenings but it still refuses to budge. I don't want to go down the Brut force and ignorance route unless advised otherwise.

Jim

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2015, 05:41:40 PM »
Small runs nothing , I have the Shell and Castrol lube charts for the Gordon as well and they only built a thousand ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Jim

• Occasional
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2015, 05:49:40 PM »
Blimey!
It just shows that in these days of computers you can't get data on modern vehicles, yet years ago companies were happy to go to a fair amount of effort to produce and publish data for very small vehicle runs.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2015, 05:58:53 PM »
The strip down goes on.
Does anyone know how the chain case is removed? I think I have removed all the exterior fastenings but it still refuses to budge. I don't want to go down the Brut force and ignorance route unless advised otherwise.

Jim

I do not remember, but I think the drive sprocket has to come off. Did they not still use the screw holes behind that? Those that take the cardon shaft sleeve guard on the Messerschmitt. That would not be obvious unless you knew to look.