Author Topic: Isetta shell off its chassis  (Read 2870 times)

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
Isetta shell off its chassis
« on: July 12, 2015, 05:30:59 PM »
Finally separated the body from the chassis, underside is rusty but no bad corrosion, apart from the moth eaten floor which will coming out next. Plan to make some cross beams which will act as a jig for the hole positions, so the new floor goes in nice and accurately.

1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
Re: Isetta shell off its chassis
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 04:52:02 PM »
Now that I have all the chassis parts dismantled, bagged up ready for cleaning, I have returned my attentions to the bodyshell. The first job is to replace the floor.

This is the first time I've done one of these, although not the first time I've replaced panels on a car- had plenty of practice doing that over the years. However this is quite a large panel, and very critical, so it's important to ensure that it goes in accurately. This is how I'm doing it, feel free to comment, and I'd welcome input from those who've replaced an Isetta floor

Today, I made up a brace bar, that fits in between the two wheelarches. It's a lump of timber, with some steel brackets I fabricated screwed in.

The other side of the brackets bolt though the wheelarches where the brake line brackets normally fix- thus no additional holes to drill.

To help align the new pan, I have a small brass spigot which is screwed into the centre of bar, and that aligns with the centre bolt hole on the old pan, I've highlighted that with an arrow. This actually pokes through the hole when the pan is straight, but my pan is bowed a little when not bolted to the chassis.

Now for those who've done this before, do you also brace the firewall, before cutting out the pan?
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 02:44:46 PM »
I saw this on the Facebook group to , when I've welded things like this before ive braced everything , it makes the job so much easier, 3mm seems nothing but when something doesn't fit its a huge amount

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 05:12:56 PM »
Okay. Well I cut most of the floor out today, just got a few small areas to trim off, but did a quick check fit of the new floor. It fits lovely, like a factory panel. I didn't bother bracing the firewall, wasn't necessary I found, and the centre brace between the wheel tubs is adequate.

1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 06:15:00 PM »
Almost seems a shame to sit on it.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs