Author Topic: Sad news  (Read 3449 times)

swanktank

• Chatty
Sad news
« on: July 20, 2015, 08:54:43 AM »
My old friend and Messerschmitter Mick Morton died on Saturday afternoon after a courageous battle with cancer. On the following day, his early KR200, which he had been working on during the last couple of years and which was completed by four friends, won the Concourse at the National Rally at Kettering.
Our thoughts are with Cyndy and his three children.
Maurice

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Sad news
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 09:56:49 AM »
He certainly seemed to have put up a good resistance. Bulletins would came out and filter through the ranks that he was holding his own.
A character from my early days with the cars. I recall him suffering the hangover after 'losing' a drinking tournament against me in my prime at an early Kingham with good humour, and the hair of the dog I got bought in was happily accepted in the spirit of recklessness, if that's the right word, he occasionally exhibited having fun. Latterly he seemed to reorganise his life in line with a sure belief in Christianity. This must have been tested during his long illness. At peace now.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 10:50:45 AM »
Sad news indeed, another character from the early days of the Burford National days.  My condolences to his wife and children.  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 02:18:23 PM »
Very sad and another late victim of asbestosis. Mick never worked with the stuff but as a carpenter just working in buildings where someone else was installing it was enough to find its way into his system. An awful thing!
Mick was my only micro ally in Hornchurch and will be missed.

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 06:07:48 PM »
I didn't know, him, but do know a couple people who that has affected. It's become a big deal on the London underground where I work in recent years, chiefly I think because they're concerned with liability. It was used extensively years ago, as being inexpensive and fire retardant it was thought of as the ideal construction material.

It's too bad we can't overhaul ourselves like our classic vehicles.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.