Author Topic: ello,ello ello wots goin on ere then ?  (Read 3007 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
ello,ello ello wots goin on ere then ?
« on: July 27, 2015, 07:43:57 PM »
The Bond recently sold on ebay had at least a couple of interesting mods . The black box and two silencers ? Also is that some sort of homemade fuel gauge on the dash ? I had been thinking along those lines myself , very easy to install surely ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

plas man

• Quite Chatty
Re: ello,ello ello wots goin on ere then ?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 08:18:38 PM »
Richard , if you look at the unit on the dash , it looks like oil (too high for the petriol tank) - then under the bonnet you see the flexi window washer tube - now I ask myself is it a chain oiler ?

I love the twin silencer - if it work's I'll have sixpeneth  ;D

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 08:26:38 PM »
I've heard of the "sight glass" approach to measuring fuel level - but under the bonnet, mounted on the bulkhead next to the filler cap/pipe.  That seems to me to be less risky than putting it on the dash, where your knees might knock against the pipes, dislodging them and covering you in fuel!

John Johnson's G-Estate has a silencer-following-silencer arrangement.  And sounds SO much smoother and quieter than a standard single-250 Bond.  I understand the lengths (of pipe and silencer) are critical (and he's not saying!)

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 08:38:04 PM »
Once I have sorted out my braking system , and car on the road I'll experiment with silencing ,next few weeks ,

my brakes ,bearing in mind the brake linkage - T piece/bell cranks/clevis/clevis pins and reconditioned Speedo all went on at the same time , what I found was the clevis pins had worn through - it would have failed the MOT , and the mile's on the speedo 5,080 , so going on average family car milage you should replace annualy .

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 08:40:28 PM »
I had always fancied one of these Dehne VW accessories - on ebay at the moment but a bit dear for me , so how do they work then ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400932781641?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 08:53:18 AM »
Tuning 2 stroke exhausts is fundamentally mathematics of applied fluid dynamics. There are several good books about it. But Villiers were used in tuned form on a variety of machines, so there already exists a store of information. The modern era has modified designs, as better feed back information could be obtained. So from the baffled megaphone giving a simple shockwave timed to aid the extraction of burned gas from the cylinder we have moved to a system that has a stinger on the end. A more complex result. Bonds with stingers seems a bit extreme, but its all good fun.

For my sins I now hold the tooling, and am making, the tuned exhausts designed and tested on the rolling road by Church/Frankland. These offer instant extra power and torque to the Sachs 200 and are designed for the Messerschmitt. It fits in the same place, with the same mounts. Best used with a high compression head, and a better carb, the performance is increased by a proven 25%, but it is the torque and full power available over so much more of the rev range that makes the real difference. Those using this system in action all report positively.

For those confused. Having more power and torque is not always to go faster out right, but to improve drivability within the design perimeters of the car. Done well, and in balance, it often finds increased economy, should the driver choose to drive in that way.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 11:06:53 AM »
Fascinating, and too intriguingly useful to be mentioned without further elaboration for the serious enthusiast.
Would it fit in a Nobel 200 allocation?
How do you recommend upping the compression, which you've already revealed to be higher in the Nobel's case?
Suggested carb mods/swaps?
Could a variant be engineered for a 492cc Berkeley triple using multiple examples of your highly engineered and complex welded stampings, or would the geometries require evolve a better example more expeditiously from a different progenitor?

As I recall, pictures of your product are revealing of the amount of engineering involved in their design.
So let us all have a good look please.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 11:16:26 AM by steven mandell »

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 02:18:08 PM »
Better to silence the intake on a Bond first before tinkering with the exhaust if  a quieter car is your goal.

All the main German micros had  expansion box style intake silencing. Not the easiest thing to achieve on a single.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.