Author Topic: Going from stumped to too firmly rooted- at 6 feet under  (Read 3221 times)

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Going from stumped to too firmly rooted- at 6 feet under
« on: August 05, 2015, 12:41:30 PM »
I have been slaving away like  mad dog for the past few months excavating a 20' x 33' extension for my recently acquired 85 year old car barn.
My average depth of cut was 2 feet, and I thought that I was finally finished with this seemingly endless and very physically exhausting task,when  I noticed what at first appeared to be a small root just flush with surface of my slab underlayment.
After removing a couple of torso sized root/ trunks running both parallel and about a foot below surface, i became horrified to discover  that they connected to an additional sub surface stump that is more than a yard in diameter.  Worse yet,  in addition to having sprouted about a dozen massive roots that spread out under my finally " completed" excavation, it has a 10 inch diameter taproot that heads to China!

As you can see in the picture taken 6 feet under the original surface level, and fully 4 feet below my finished grade, it then curves to horizontal, and could well undermine a significant portion of my prepared slab underlayment.

Does anyone know how far I have to chase this rotten  ???????????
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 12:47:44 PM by steven mandell »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Going from stumped to too firmly rooted- at 6 feet under
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 04:08:08 PM »
If you dig any further you might find a new version of the bible buried, like one Mr Smith. Start the Morons, Church of the latter day Schmitts.

Yep if its the main tap root it should go down. If you reinforce that area then any void should be bridged. Either that or is it a handy place to have a Car Pit?

Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 04:57:24 PM »
Dear Al

Do you think that the words Car Pit, Carpet  and Carput are related in any way?

Chris Thomas

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 07:26:13 PM »
Yes. You can carpet your car pit. But car ports always pass to the left. Its all very confusing really
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 11:45:20 AM »
Thanks for the useful suggestions guys.
Leave it to Al to see a creative positive possibility in the midst of chaos and despair.
It wouldn't be at all hard to go down another foot, but reinforcing the sides would seem to require a great degree of construction follow through, and how well does a pit work with predominantly 3 wheeled vehicles needing to traverse the opening?
I suppose that I could simply require that the vehicle drive over it with the 2 wheeled side first, and stop before getting the third wheel to fall in.

How about steps of concrete block leading down, and doubling as a seat at the appropriate depth?
The cars are so light that I could easily pull them across the opening whilst situated in the pit, and have a small bump installed central to and just before the pitfalls to discourage drop ins of the single wheel end of the cars.

The reason for no pic is that my new smart phone has a 13 megapixel camera, and the Forums architecture doesn't allow more than 4000 KB / image.  On my older phone I could easily choose to dumb it down to a small enough image.   I haven't yet seen this option pop up for my Motorola Nexus 6.
Any other useful suggestions?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 11:48:23 AM by steven mandell »

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 01:12:13 PM »

The reason for no pic is that my new smart phone has a 13 megapixel camera, and the Forums architecture doesn't allow more than 4000 KB / image.  On my older phone I could easily choose to dumb it down to a small enough image.   I haven't yet seen this option pop up for my Motorola Nexus 6.
Any other useful suggestions?

yeah, read the directions for your new toy.
Under SETTINGS (gear icon) there should be an option for RESOLUTION and QUALITY.

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 01:44:45 PM »

yeah, read the directions for your new toy.
Under SETTINGS (gear icon) there should be an option for RESOLUTION and QUALITY.

That would certainly allow the camera to TAKE a lower-resolution picture.  I think what Steve was after, though, was the ability to take a picture in decent resolution and then when, at some future point, he wants to email or post it, reduce the resolution of what is sent.  Many phones do that, prompting the user at the time; I don't know whether his new one does.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 03:18:19 PM »
Oh no, 'phones with compression ratios. Argh!

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 11:07:53 AM »
My first attempt using a compression app.
It seems to have actually worked!
Now I'll have to try to remember the sequence of fiddling that allowed it to do so.

Hmmm, 8" x8" blocks employed as steps should allow for a 1:1 slope, so if I needed to go 6 feet down, I would only need 6' of length.
That leading to a 2' long standing space would still fit within the 3'x8' footprint that I could allocate for each of my shorter (including "sans permiss") Micro cars to be housed in that section- could at least theoretically work.

Suggestions/ appropriate warnings of impending doom?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 11:22:47 AM by steven mandell »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 01:41:25 PM »
Use some concerete stressed floor beams to bridge the void. A celler area - hide under a Snuggy when the Bomb drops!

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 03:10:11 PM »
forget all the agro and get yourself a pond liner   ;)